+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, ProEngineer Wildfire 4 Installation in Technical; Just been "gifted" the install of ProENGINEER Wildfire 4 by our DT department onto a CC3 network from a disc ...

Thank Post

Pro Engineer Wildfire 4

Just been "gifted" the install of ProENGINEER Wildfire 4 by our DT department onto a CC3 network from a disc supplied by our local CTC. I am having all the problems mentioned plus firewall exceptions because the CTC has given us the cutdown student version.
    RM's AppWiz wont play ball because the package build is over the 2Gb limit of what will work, a local install works for those with admin access only, it has been suggested that the pupils are given this level............................................. ..........................! The CTC have done this for their visiting pupils!

No one at PTC mentioned Wildfire 5 when I contacted them and the people didnt seem worried about the access concerns for a school.

Thank Post

Pro|ENGINEER on School networks

Hi,
    Based in the UK, I work for PTC developing curriculum and supporting schools. A school kindly let us know about this thread. You have described many of the challenges faced when installing Pro|ENGINEER on school networks and I hope to clarify the situation to help you manage our software on your systems.

The current version of Pro|ENGINEER Schools Edition is Wildfire 4.0 M092. Accredited teachers can download the installation images from our Teachers' Portal.

Security - The issue with pupil logins accessing restricted drives was reported to us in Wildfire 3.0 and developers fixed the problem when using File > Open but missed the browser route. We apologise for this oversight and assure schools our developers are working on a solution for the Wildfire 5.0 release for schools scheduled for May 2010. We hope this is timely for schools wanting to upgrade software ready for the new school year in September.

There are two installation options.
    Standalone - intended for teachers and pupils to install Pro|ENGINEER at home. Each installation is licensed online and tied to the PCs network card MAC address.
    License Server - intended for school networks with Flexnet software holding 100 floating seats. The Pro|ENGINEER image can then be distributed onto other PCs. Some package builders including the one in RM's CC3 system refuse to build a package due to the size, circa 2GB. We have tried to discuss this with RM but had little success. Recently a school reported the package builder in CC4 works with Pro|ENGINEER. Where a package cannot be built it is possible to copy the install folders and shortcut to other PCs.

Running Pro|ENGINEER - To operate, Pro|ENGINEER runs scripts so the user profie must allow this. Schools do not need to give pupils high level access. Pupil profiles can be edited on most networks to enable scripts. For example, on RM CC3 the enable scripts option is a subset of preventing access to the C: prompt. Note, it is possible to enable scripts without giving students access to the C: prompt.

You may be interested to know that security on UK school networks is much stricter than in the rest of the world. PTC gets very few enquiries about security from the other 22 countries using Pro|ENGINEER in schools. Here we seem to be paranoid about protecting pupils rather than educating them about the potential dangers of the web and making them responsible for their actions.

I hope this helps you install and manage Pro|ENGINEER installations on school networks. Please contact me if you need any further help.

Tim Brotherhood
    Education Programme Manager - PTC
    tbrotherhood@ptc.com

3. Thanks to TimB from:

ZeroHour (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for your reply clarifing what was fixed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TimB View Post
    You may be interested to know that security on UK school networks is much stricter than in the rest of the world. PTC gets very few enquiries about security from the other 22 countries using Pro|ENGINEER in schools. Here we seem to be paranoid about protecting pupils rather than educating them about the potential dangers of the web and making them responsible for their actions.
    LOL, just because the USA/etc dont have security it does NOT mean that the UK is paranoid and that having security it wrong. For example with your exploit I can gain access to attempt to copy software from the pc etc which has nothing to do with the internet etc.
    That, to me is a very harsh statement and in a way its offensive to me to imply that we are somehow doing it wrong. I will inform my technical teacher of your attitude to UK customers as he was just as concerend as me but obviously he is just *paranoid*
    Turn off your secuity now people, we obviously are doing it all wrong to point out a stupid expliot. Also if your software went by MS guidlines/standards this would have NEVER have been an issue in the first place.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 26th February 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Thank Post

Security

No offense intended, I was merely pointing out the different approaches in other countries. I would not suggest allowing pupils free access across a school network.
    My comment about paranoia was prompted by the small percentage of schools who prevent children from doing almost anything only for them to go home where the majority have totally unrestricted web access with no monitoring by parents.
    Our software is fully windows compliant and I assume Microsoft is happy with it because their designers use it to design and develop their hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry Tim, it has been a hard day here today so I read your comments in the wrong light as such. I suppose the point I am making is the exploit is not really a small issue for us and I would be surprised that many IT deps would be happy with it. The thing in schools is we generally lock things down to save work later. Our original XP network was relatively open for all (no local admin though) but after pupils have repeatidly exploited this we have had to lock it down more and more over the years. The specific file browsing issue we have exploited in the past to copy software and also plant files where possible but that at the time was caused by another piece of software which is why we test all new software for these types of exploits. Thats the thing, for most schools its probably not a simple case of paranoia, it could easily have been used maliciously in the past. Obivously they can do what they want with their home pc but if they break the pc it only affects them where as depending on what they do here it could affect many (not specifically this exploit but in general) and naturally we, as a school, teach them proper pc attitudes for home and e-safty etc but we just dont let them try and break a business network to learn about it.
    I hope you see how it could come across badly when you say we are being paranoid we mostly are reacting rather then pre-empting (except when they really are out to get me )

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Is Pro Engineer V5 out yet? If so can someone please point me to a LINK?

Exploit FREE Version I hope...

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlona View Post
    Hi all,

Is Pro Engineer V5 out yet? If so can someone please point me to a LINK?

Exploit FREE Version I hope...

Thanks
    Still no word yet at my end....

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick reply ZeroHour

Thank Post

PTC Pro|ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0

The Wildfire 5.0 Schools Edition of Pro|ENGINEER is due for release in mid May.
    Accredited teachers are given access to the Teachers' Portal where they will be able to download the install CDs as soon as they are released.
    We are busy updating all the curiculum ready for the new academic year starting in September. These will also be available first in the Teachers' Portal.
    Tim

11. Thanks to TimB from:

ZeroHour (9th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Many thanks TimB

Any word on the Exploit been removed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlona View Post
    Many thanks TimB

Any word on the Exploit been removed?
    Anyone heard anything about this?

Is the new version available? Anyone managed to get it running?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymate View Post
    Anyone heard anything about this?

Is the new version available? Anyone managed to get it running?
    I have version 5 and I can confirm the issue is fixed with that. I am working on deploying it this summer but v5 does fix the issue. Thanks to all at PTC for their hard work.

Thank Post
    Thanks to all the teachers and ICT support staff for their patience with us.

The Wildfire 5.0 version of Pro|ENGINEER has many improvements and for anyone still using Pro|DESKTOP well worth upgrading. Attached is a document explaining the benefits.

For the next Academic year we are consolidating all our resources into one web site that will use your existing ptc.com login. This web site will give accredited teachers access to our latest learning platform called PTC University - Precision LMS. This hosts over 400+ hours of software tutorials and over 200 hours of high school projects. From September teachers will be able to register their pupils in Precision LMS giving them access to all the materials including assessments. As we update the curriculum projects to Wildfire 5.0 they will become available as SCORM modules to upload into schools own learning platforms.

Finally, we are offering the Schools University Edition of Pro|ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 to any school that provides us with a case study of how they are using Pro|ENGINEER with pupils. This is a one year licence and includes full surfacing, NC manufacture, Finite Element Analysis and Manikin anthropometric analysis. In this offer schools will also receive CoCreate direct modelling and Mathcad for their school! Submitting a new case study each year will keep the licenses current for updates and new versions.

We feel these changes will offer schools unparalleled free software and curriculum to help teachers enthuse pupils about STEM subjects and secure a steady supply of future designers and engineers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I am glad to see you have worked with schools on fixing the issues that is really good and a credit to PTC

One for you, your PDF has a typo in the Hyperlink for England Schools your an o missing out of School in the web address

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TimB View Post
    Thanks to all the teachers and ICT support staff for their patience with us.

The Wildfire 5.0 version of Pro|ENGINEER has many improvements and for anyone still using Pro|DESKTOP well worth upgrading. Attached is a document explaining the benefits.

For the next Academic year we are consolidating all our resources into one web site that will use your existing ptc.com login. This web site will give accredited teachers access to our latest learning platform called PTC University - Precision LMS. This hosts over 400+ hours of software tutorials and over 200 hours of high school projects. From September teachers will be able to register their pupils in Precision LMS giving them access to all the materials including assessments. As we update the curriculum projects to Wildfire 5.0 they will become available as SCORM modules to upload into schools own learning platforms.

Finally, we are offering the Schools University Edition of Pro|ENGINEER Wildfire 5.0 to any school that provides us with a case study of how they are using Pro|ENGINEER with pupils. This is a one year licence and includes full surfacing, NC manufacture, Finite Element Analysis and Manikin anthropometric analysis. In this offer schools will also receive CoCreate direct modelling and Mathcad for their school! Submitting a new case study each year will keep the licenses current for updates and new versions.

We feel these changes will offer schools unparalleled free software and curriculum to help teachers enthuse pupils about STEM subjects and secure a steady supply of future designers and engineers.
    Hi Tim,
    Just a quick fyi, that PDF has issues when opened on a Mac using Mac's Preview App. Not sure exactly what causes the issue but just a heads up for you.

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast