+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Foundation E-Profile help! in Technical; In these days of data security I find it a bit of a head scratcher that this software defaults a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In these days of data security I find it a bit of a head scratcher that this software defaults a backup to the C: drive rather than enabling the option of to a specified secure location - I set up an encrypted pen drive to drop the data to so that the 23 teachers involved could work on this at home but then finding that it dropped to the C: drive wondered why I bothered!

So your recent offering danielson is most gratefully received as it gives me a decent walk through to achieve this. Shame the LEA and programmers didn't speak to you first!

Quote Originally Posted by danielson81 View Post
    The new version can be downloaded here:

eProfile

This is basically how I have installed it to share the data on the network:

Please note these instructions are not 100% official, I am currently working with the LEA in testing this and producing documentation for our techicians.

!!!If you are overwriting an existing version, run the old version and do a backup first.!!!

- Install EProfile as normal.

- Create a text file called DataFolder.txt and place it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FSP\Version3

- Inside DataFolder.txt just write the path to where you want to store the data, eg:

T:\E-Profile\2010
    (no final slash)

For some reason UNC paths do not work properly, it can read the data but wont write back to it when doing a backup!

To check it works, run EProfile (adding school details if necessary), then click Help, then about. It should say Work Folder = t:\e-profile\2010

If installing it on multiple machines, i have created a batch file I run after installing EProfile:

copy T:\e-profile\DataFolder.txt "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FSP\Version3"

You only need to import the pupils and add school details on the 1st installation, as the other machines will pick it up. If Eprofile cannot find the shared drive (or the file is in the wrong place) it will revert back to c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\fsp\version3"

!! If you are upgrading, simply do a restore !!

Thank Post
    Just had a look at that and wondered how it could be told to save elsewhere. Trouble is the staff want to be able to access the program from anywhere on the network and the program does not like that with our security settings. If I install to a shared drive and run it I don't see the years to select only if I let the user be a local admin of that PC! Why don't they just talk to people first before they create software like this. Any way got around it by installing it on her laptop so they can fill in the data anywhere in the school!

Thank Post
    Forgot to add, it seems to be a dynamic database, ie it updates all the time.

Basically I installed it on two PCs and pointed them both to the same database.

Now, on PC1 I went to Child A and changed some assessment data and went to Child B and did the same

on PC2 I went to Child C changed some data, and went back to Child B. The data changed on PC1 was already there.

The only bad thing I can imagine happening is if for example Teacher A quits Eprofile and backs up to the shared drive and then Teacher B messes up the data and does a backup when they quit to the same folder on the same day. It created a backup in a folder based on todays date.

However with Reception teachers only looking at their classes children, it should be unlikely that two teachers would be on the same child?

Also if you import a CTF it doesn't import class names, only a CSV does. However with exporting a CSV from SIMS, you have to edit the CSV in Excel and change the DOB filed to dd/mm/yyyy not 01-Jan-05 (eg).

The CSV format is: UPN,Firstname,Surname,Gender,DOB,Class,Postcode (I think)

Thank Post
    What are you lot doing to import the data in?

- CTF, and they input class details manually
    - CSV which includes these details, but requires setting up.

or any other method!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I take an export from SIMS into CSV format using an already imported report file in SIMS. You then need to change the format for the DoB field, save the file, then import the file into Eyeprofile or Progress.

As I mentioned already; I'm baffled why such a simple application couldn't be turned into a web application. The way it's designed is early 1990's style.

Thank Post
    Why dont you just do a ctf file from SIMS, then just load it straight in? Works for me.

APC

Thank Post
    Its because of the issues of data protection and network install issues that Link2ICT have developed and promoted a solution for Birmingham Schools using Facility Admin (CMIS) to replace eProfile. We are also currently beta testing a similar solution for the SIMS schools we support.

I understand that the DCSF are no-longer going to promote eProfile as their 'chosen' solution for recording EYFS assessment information.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Why dont you just do a ctf file from SIMS, then just load it straight in? Works for me.
    Because the CTF does not export registration groups.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    I'd set up a custom report with the relevant data in SIMS and save that as CSV. It's easy enough to do (or it was when I last had SIMS about 5 years ago)

Thank Post
    Is anyone else having problems with the latest upgrade to eProfile V3.1 Release 5 or above?
    It's a requirement for this year's Foundation Stage Profile data collection, so firstly a warning to all that you're going to be asked to upgrade to 3.1 this month.

We've got the problem that we can't upgrade from V2.5 eProfile direct to eProfile V3.1 as backwards compatibility was not built in to 3.1 (Great!)
    So we've been told to upgrade firstly to eyeProfile V3.0, then upgrade again to V3.1 so that the existing data can be read across.

However the eyeProfile V3.0 will not recognise the existing data from V2.5 - has anyone experienced this and is there a way around it?

Thank Post
    It's that time of year again then

There used to be a specific utility for upgrading from V2.5 - 3.0 on the Suffolk website, but it's not there anymore.

However I think you *might* be able to use the built in fsprestore.exe program to do this (been a while since I used it) If this works, the method is to do a backup with 2.5 then copy it to a machine where you have installed 3.0 and use the V3restore work link in start menu programs folder to import the backup which SHOULD convert it.

If it doesn't you can always email/call Suffolk and ask them to mail you the convertor.

As for V3.1(5), I've knocked up a VBS file that lets it run as a proper network program but restricting to one user at a time and sets up clients to use it automatically. Runs from shared server location as well so no need to install on clients. If anyone is interested I can PM it to them.

Thank Post
    I am new to the IT sector, started about 2 months ago,
    Might be old news but
    I got a memo from Education Bradford with instructions on how to install the new version of EProfile (according to the suffolk website eyeProfile is now eProfile)..

To quote from this document given to me:

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Please upgrade all PCs that are using eProfile

Release 5 of the eProfile programme (v3.1) in now available on the Suffolk local authority website a www.suffolkcpd.co.uk/fsp

This new release has been prompted by the cancellation of the proposed changes to the CTF file format, there may therefore be incompatibility between eProfile and other software within your local authority when you attempt to export data.

Note form Suffolk CC website
    Revised common transfer file specifications for the EYFSP were rolled ack after eProfile was published last September. If you are not using release 5 (March 2010) you may encounter problems when importing a CTF created from eProfile to you MIS. The eProfile download acailable on this page is the latest release. Release 5 can be installed over an earlier release of version 3,1 with out affecting your work.

What’s new in version 3.1

* Restore the name: eProfile. This may cause users to see an extra icon on the desktop once the software has been installed – both icons will connect, but you may wish to remove one.
    * Assessments cover the final year of EYFSP only, but are now recorded by month rather than by half-tem. Any work you have saved using version 3 will be updated once you install version 3.1
    * Some graphs and printouts have been removed. Others have been improved.
    * Support for Network use has been included. See the technical notes in the guidance document.

Update Log:
    LA support

I have been told that we need this from our LEA. you guys might be different..

I ahve alot of work to do to get all the laptops done before we break up...

Thank Post
    As luck would have it I've just been trying in install v3.1r5 on a Windows 7 machine and it gives the error
    "6/" is not a valid integer value
    Now I see on the Suffolk site there is a new version of Eyeprofile 3.1r6 that addresses the Win7 problems but has anyone been brave enough to try it?

Thank Post
    Works Fine on XP, still getting around the networking feature.

Seems to fail on Win 2000.

Thank Post
    (Applied to people like me who used CSVs exported from SIMS.net,so Eprofile would pick up reg groups)

Thought last year was hard making all those CSVs etc?

Spend hours changing the date of birth?

Well, dont worry, it now requires EVEN MORE information if you wish to import class names, as opposed to the CTF from SIMS.net which doesn't!

Version 3.2 requires (and 3.15 ) the following fields:

DFE LA Number (3 digits), DFE Establishment number (4 digits) or, for a PVI, URN (6 digits), Year (same as the cohort you choose when you open eProfile), UPN, Surname, Forename, Gender, Date of birth, Class,Postcode

So from a a simple(!?):

Y123456789123,Bucket,Hycanith,F,02/07/2005,Class RG
    D123456789123,Bucket,Richard,M,22/03/2005,Class RB

Now becomes this:

123,1234,2011,Y123456789123,Bucket,Hyacinth,F,02/07/2005,Class RG
    123,1234,2011,D123456789123,Bucket,Richard,M,22/03/2005,Class RB

Think one will be using the CTF method and inputting the classes manually!
    Last edited by danielson81; 13th October 2010 at 11:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast