+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Teaching SQL - How do you do it? in Technical; Hi All - long time reader first time poster, hope someone here can lend a hand I work as a ...

Thank Post

Teaching SQL - How do you do it?

Hi All - long time reader first time poster, hope someone here can lend a hand

I work as a tech support in a college using RM CC3, and an IT lecturer has asked me to look into a way that students can be taught SQL, in the locked down environment that we give them.

The first problem I have is that said lecturer has written some code in Visual Basic Express, linking to a database on her network drive. SQL will not support UNC or remote accessing the database, meaning we will have to access it locally (C:\ drive) - this is no good to us unfortunately.

We have thought about installing Virtual PC and then putting an image into their user area, but we are conscious that giving students an essentially free reign over a PC may have repurcussions with what they do on the network!

What do you other schools/colleges/HE's do for teaching SQL? what environment and software do you use?

Cheers
    Mark

Thank Post
    You could setup a virtual image to allow certain functions which then reverts back to a 'start' state each time they log off. I haven't really done anything with SQL so i don't know the ins and outs but that is what various course providers have done in workshop environments.

Thank Post
    I think virtual PC is the way to go. I believe that RM have advertised it for this use in the past. I remember reading something about students learning programming and other such things on RM using virtual PC.

Never tried it myself though.

4. Thanks to dalsoth from:

mbeet (10th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Don't know if this would work or not - but could you set it to save in their local profile on the workstation - and then save/export to their network drive on logoff (an xcopy or something?).

Not tried it so don't know how effective it is.

Virtual machines, as you say, is an option, but remember you have to have licences for all extra xp installs you set up.

Thank Post
    SQL won't use UNC?? There's no need? What about an ODBC link to a SQL Server or Oracle database that's been secured. You could even use MS Access with linked tables and write the SQL in the query designer using SQL View - Access SQL queries will give them a good starting point if it's just an intro. There's loads of ways to do it as far as I can see.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeet View Post
    an IT lecturer has asked me to look into a way that students can be taught SQL, in the locked down environment that we give them.
    You could give them an SSH client and let them connect to a shared machine.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responses thus far

We are looking into the RM virtual PC package mentioned (HE Shop: MS Virtual PC 2004 for CC3/ST3 Solution Pack) - we weren't aware of it existing! its exactly what we were after.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Cant you use access? MS access supports queries written in SQL and you can experiment on the local database then, no need for any other parts installed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would just have a central SQL server with database creation access given to student accounts. You can easily access a SQL DB over TCP/IP with this setup and it also allows you top create and edit databases in either VB express or SQL managment Studio express. This setup would be far more secure and much more simmilar to a real world situation than single file linked databases which are not really used that often in my experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    SQL makes even my brain hurt! As a compromise (not sure if it's an option), but taking a look at MS Access. You can do quite a bit with it.

Edit: Sorry I just realised Jamo has already mentioned this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread