+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational Software Thread, Spotify license? in Technical; Originally Posted by enjay BUT... the same also applies to DVDs of films/TV shows/etc, which as we know are permitted ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    BUT... the same also applies to DVDs of films/TV shows/etc, which as we know are permitted if used as part of the curriculum (i.e. show a film for Media Studies but not wet lunchtimes). Surely the same would apply to Spotify...
    You're allowed to do that with DVDs for curriculum purposes because of because of specific exceptions in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998. These are exceptions to copyright law, not to contractual terms, which is what the Spotify restrictions are.

Basically, if you use Spotify in schools it is not a copyright violation (due to the exceptions above) but IS a violation of contract law.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 14th January 2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Missed that we were talking specifically about curriculum use

2. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

enjay (14th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Dredging this one, but it has reared its head again at my new school. I know that the licence says "personal, non-commercial" and that support say it can't be used in schools, BUT... the same also applies to DVDs of films/TV shows/etc, which as we know are permitted if used as part of the curriculum (i.e. show a film for Media Studies but not wet lunchtimes). Surely the same would apply to Spotify...
    Why? DVDs have their T&Cs and MPLC licence conditions, Spotify have theirs. I can't see why one would effect the other?

Spotify are very clear in their T&Cs and I can't see that anything has changed since this was last discussed.
    Last edited by sparkeh; 14th January 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Not if Spotify say otherwise which they clearly do. It's their software, their rules, regardless of what might or might not apply to other systems or media.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    You're allowed to do that with DVDs for curriculum purposes because of because of specific exceptions in the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1998. These are exceptions to copyright law, not to contractual terms, which is what the Spotify restrictions are.
    Of course, thanks @AngryTechnician

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123