+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Promethean ActivInspire in Technical; Right so I've deployed AvtivInspire to my network and it's all installed OK. My problem is that it just runs ...

Thank Post

Promethean ActivInspire

Right so I've deployed AvtivInspire to my network and it's all installed OK. My problem is that it just runs REALLY bady on a number of machines. The computers are above the minimum specification though some have the minimum ammount of RAM but are 3GHz processors (min spec is 1GHz).

The problem tends to be using the eraiser it can take a while for it to activate when you click on the icon and then when you try and erase something it then pauses for a few seconds (with egg timer) before giving controll back. Also a couple of people have mentioned that it seems to stop when writing think, then wake up however if you have continued writing it puts a straight line between where the pen was when it started thinking and where the pen is now.

Has anyoine else had problems with it being slow and constantly stopping to think? These problems were not present with AS3 so I don't think it's a board problem directly.

Thank Post
    Hi,

What colour depth are you using? - Does it make any difference if you use 32bit colour?

Also, do you have any other applications running at the same time?

One final thing, what OS are you using?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If on mac I have heard that can be an issue. I found that seems bit more sluggish that version 3 what happens if install version 3 as well and run that on the same machine?

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    If on mac I have heard that can be an issue.
    I haven't come across this issue as of yet. I have tested on a mac mini with 2GB ram and a networked home dir, but on a smart board. I hope this isn't the case since we have just ordered a complete smart board replacement here. Really good deal for the boards.

I have seen issues with the activ Vote systems though.

Thank Post

Talking

ActivInspire and ActivStudio 3 will quite happily run side by side on your system

Thank Post
    Yes but activprimary 3 looks s**t

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmssbrie View Post
    Hi,

What colour depth are you using? - Does it make any difference if you use 32bit colour?

Also, do you have any other applications running at the same time?

One final thing, what OS are you using?
    Will check Colout deapth but it does this with no applicaitons running on my XP clients.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    Will check Colout deapth but it does this with no applicaitons running on my XP clients.
    Hi Stuart,

Just an update on this issue, our development team are looking into it further with the eraser tool.

One option as a 'workaround' you could use, would be to use the 'Magic Ink' tool instead.
    Whilst it doesn't actually physically 'erase' annotations, it does 'draw' over the top of them with the background flipchart colour - giving the effect that it has been erased (probably best having a go with it to see what I mean!).

On the other issue you mentioned where the pen is having difficult 'catching up', and drawing straight lines, do you know what firmware is on the boards concerned?, and what connection is used (USB / Serial / USB w/Extenders / Serial w/ USB convertors)

Thank Post
    Actually I believe that those tha have complained about it catching up are TDS boards. which the software won't check for updates. I have been round using the control pannel and "checked for firmware updates". I'll double check this afternoon and get back to you.

The boards in question are USB and they go straight into the comptuer not throug an extranal hub.

Thanks for the magic ink advice though

Thank Post
    The 2 I have had the most complaints about are:
    TDS ActivBoard T2.58 Build 0 firware on a USB Connection, 3Ghz P4 with 512Mb RAM - This one is the one I mentioned where it seems to stall
    TDS ActivBoard T2.64 Build 0 firmware on a Serial connection 2.8GHz P4 processor with 1GB RAM - this one, apparently is slow all the time)

I have has a complaint about a second
    TDS ActivBoard T2.58 Build 0 firware on a USB Connection, 3Ghz P4 with 512Mb RAM and
    TDS ActivBoard T3.34 Build 0 frimware on a USB Connection 3Ghz P4 with 512Mb RAM (this is new TDS board and differnet to the rest)

Having said that I spent some time on a TDS board with the 2.64 firmware and appart from the eraser issue it seemed prety usable. And just having a look I do feel that a lot of complaints stem from the eraser problem. I have however had a few complaints about the time it takes to chage page. I have asked a couple of people if they will video it in action and E-mail me any presentations they have trouble with so I can have a look as at the minute, ignoring the eraser issue, it seems reasonably usable.

I think it tends to be when they have been working on a flipchart for a while...
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 18th May 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Stuart,

The TDS boards should be absolutely fine.

There are a few things you can still try - which I will PM you.

Steve

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK. We have ActivInspire installed and running on the station attached to the new Promethean IWB. I would like to know [and have asked this of Promethean] what is with the grey and the lighter grey pens?

I was told by Promethean that one is for a teacher and one is for the student.

I can't see any functional differences between the two pens [not being an IWB fan this is not surprising] however I would like to have an answer for all those members of staff who will be badgering me for an answer.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by DaveP; 21st August 2009 at 08:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    OK. We have ActivInspire installed and running on the station attached to the new Promethean IWB. I would like to know [and have asked this of Promethean] what is with the grey and the lighter grey pens?

I was told by Promethean that one is for a teacher and one is for the student.

I can't see any functional differences between the two pens [not being an IWB fan this is not surprising] however I would like to have an answer for all those members of staff who will be badgering me for an answer.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,

The symbol with two pens is for ActivArena - or dual user - basically allowing you to have a student and a teacher work on the board at the same time (dual input).

For this to work, you need the Arena upgrade pack (which consists of 2 pens / Install CD (firmware update) for version 2 ActivBoards or, if you have just got one of the brand new ActivBoard 300 Pro Range, it is already enabled, and the pens will have been provided with the board will allow you to use it.

When enabled, and functioning, if you select it in Inspire, you will get two 'toolboxes', one student, one teacher - both users can use their pen at the same time on the board.

Theres loads of information about it on our main website if you need to know any more.

HTH

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    I have a pro activ 78 where the user reports it to be incredibly slow when turning pages on a flipchart.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I have a pro activ 78 where the user reports it to be incredibly slow when turning pages on a flipchart.
    Hi,

Yep, it will deffinately work with that board, but as I mentioned earlier, it is in the form of an 'Upgrade' to your board - just look on our main site for "ActivArena" for further info.

As to why the page turning is slow, it's not a known issue at our end - possibly something to do with hardware accelleration being taken down a few notches or something like that?

If it's causing a lot of problems for you, I'd suggest making sure that the latest build of Inspire is being used (You can check by opening it, clicking 'View' -> "Dashboard" -> "Configure" -> "Check for updates"), and then seeing if there is a 'lag' when turning pages with very little content on them, as well as checking that your hardware accelleration for the graphics card is set to "full".

If that doesn't make a difference, it might be worth getting in contact with the Tech Support guys for further advice.

HTH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast