+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, QCA Testing - Admin Point System - Import from SIMS in Technical; OK, so we're doing ELBS Science tests using QCA Admin point system in a few weeks. Got the APS installed ...

Thank Post

QCA Testing - Admin Point System - Import from SIMS

OK, so we're doing ELBS Science tests using QCA Admin point system in a few weeks.

Got the APS installed fine on the server, and the workstations with the practice tests installed fine, so everything is OK, but the last thing I need to do is import the candidate details into the APS... But how?

I've been provided with no other documentation other than some stuff on e-mails, as I say, I've got to this stage fine, and everything is ready... But an exam isn't much use with no candiate details to try out some of the practice tests!

The guy from OCR mentioned about I can import from our census file, but our census is done in SIMS, so it seems to be different to what they are talking about.

We (myself and the examinations officer) also tried exporting from the OCR Candidate info, into a CSV file, but we got the useful message of "an error occured"

Hope someone can help! Otherwise I shall be back on the phone to OCR Is anyone else due to do these exams?

Thank Post
    You need your latest PLASC export which should be in "S:\SIMS\STAR\ASCout", the XML file with the newest date should be the one.

You will also need to run it through the convertor you can get from the RM website, DocRef: DWN1402674. Otherwise it imports the parents instead of the pupils which although most amusing isn't very useful.

3. Thanks to Valentine from:

andy_d (12th May 2009)

Thank Post
    We don't do school census here, so I created a report in SIMS which returns the required fields, saved it as a CSV and then used the conversion utility wotsit which is in the APS File_Store folder somewhere to create an APS-friendly file (not the utility stupidly needs to be run from C:!) and then imported that.

Don't worry, it's not actually as complicated as I'm making it sound!

Thank Post
    Excellent! All sorted!

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
    You need your latest PLASC export which should be in "S:\SIMS\STAR\ASCout", the XML file with the newest date should be the one.

You will also need to run it through the convertor you can get from the RM website, DocRef: DWN1402674. Otherwise it imports the parents instead of the pupils which although most amusing isn't very useful.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had this same issue, if you look ine the Filestore on the APS server, there will be some documentation specific to setting up the exam for the OCR (well, not specific but OCR customised, I saw similar stuff from AQA last year). I've just finished setting my candidates up and the first lot of sessions allocated.

It gives you 2 options, either setting them up manually, or importing from the EDI files which were sent off to the exam board (which will then also automatically put the Centre and Candidate Numbers on Automatically for you, as well as another acronym I can't remember the name of) so that you don't have to go and put these details on manually.

I can give you the exact location tomorrow if you like.

7. Thanks to Cache from:

andy_d (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Had this same issue, if you look ine the Filestore on the APS server, there will be some documentation specific to setting up the exam for the OCR (well, not specific but OCR customised, I saw similar stuff from AQA last year). I've just finished setting my candidates up and the first lot of sessions allocated.

It gives you 2 options, either setting them up manually, or importing from the EDI files which were sent off to the exam board (which will then also automatically put the Centre and Candidate Numbers on Automatically for you, as well as another acronym I can't remember the name of) so that you don't have to go and put these details on manually.

I can give you the exact location tomorrow if you like.

Is this documentation for scheduling tests etc?
    If so, then that would be good, thanks!
    Was going to check out the setting up of sessions tomorrow anyway

I've got everything ready using the solution Valentine posted for importing candidates, so the last thing we need to try are some practice tests etc.

Everything else seems to be sorted anyway, and it's good to have contact with people who have/will be using it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The instructions I got which were downloaded through the APS are found in:

[installdir]\QCA Testing\Admin Point System\FILE_STORE\Software\AS and there was a zip folder called OCR ELBS Guides May 2009

Again, generic stuff but might help out.

Edit: Just looked on the APS and it seems the exam for the 20th May is pending download now, so will be able to get that allocated out shortly.

10. Thanks to Cache from:

andy_d (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Excellent!

Thanks very much, it hadn't mentioned anywhere that the guide could be found in that folder lol and with this being the first time we've used the QCA then I wouldn't have known.

Everything is now completely ready to roll anyway

Thank Post

PLASC Utility

There was a tool produced a few years ago that I still use called, helpfully 'PLASC Utility'.

When I produce my export from SIMS I then it through the Utility and it sorts it all out...

.zip attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well ours seemed to go off without a hitch yesterday and the APS says they've all been sent off which is good to know!

Hope yours went ok!

Thank Post
    I'm pleased to say ours ran fine with no problems too

Fingers crossed the next ones do too hehe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread