+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Sibelius 5 Stand alone or networked version! pros and cons please. in Technical; We already run Sibelius 5 as a stand alone version on around 15 computers. I have been asked to purchase ...
    Thank Post

Sibelius 5 Stand alone or networked version! pros and cons please.

We already run Sibelius 5 as a stand alone version on around 15 computers.

I have been asked to purchase an additional 15 and in the catalogue the price for the two versions seems to be the same..

So what are the pros and cons of each?

Regards

Thank Post
    Im guessing you can deploy the network version from Group Policy or something, save manual installs, registration, serial codes on the splash screen etc...

Only a guess tho, dont quote me, we only have a single 5-license off the shelf box that needs manual installs.

Si

Thank Post
    We use the network version here. You can install the software on as many machines as you want but the sibelius licence server which you have to install and sits on your application server restricts the number of opened copies to the licences purchased. Great for flexibility if classes move around rooms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb View Post
    We use the network version here. You can install the software on as many machines as you want but the sibelius licence server which you have to install and sits on your application server restricts the number of opened copies to the licences purchased. Great for flexibility if classes move around rooms.
    Exactly what i was going to say, it won't let anyone use the software if it has reached its allocation of licences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    We use the network version, it works okay. Yes, Sibelius comes packaged as an MSI file, although it would seem that I had to add some registry settings to get enter the serial number (I used a .reg file, run from the command line as we're not using Active Directory to install software, although I'm sure you can add registry entries via Orca or whatever).

Our license server has had a tendancy to conk out in the past, although I'm not quite sure if there was something wrong with the computer or whether it was the license server itself causing the crash. Everything seems fine now, and I spent Easter sorting the server, so my guess is that it was a hardware fault and the server runs just fine.

If a user can connect to your network via a VPN and contact the license server then they can use Sibelius from home. I checked with Steinberg about this and they seemed okay, although they did point out that no-one they knew of had actually got this to work yet.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    We already run Sibelius 5 as a stand alone version on around 15 computers.

I have been asked to purchase an additional 15 and in the catalogue the price for the two versions seems to be the same..

Regards
    We run the networked version of Sibelius 5 but have had some problems with it when deploying from GPO. Apparently there is a file missing in the MSI so you have to add it manually to the workstations.

I'm want to edit the MSI to include the file but am not that sure what I am doing.

At the moment I have it installed in the music department on 5 machines. I did it manually and added the update manually.

I'll sort out our issues once the coursework goes away.

GJE

Thank Post
    I'm having an issue getting Sibelius to install voa msi atm. It was supposed to have worked in the past but now doesn't. However, I am really trying to clean up our packages/builds, so it's possible that this missing file was added with someother package - do you know which file is missing and where it is supposed to be?

Thank Post
    We have the network version and it works ok.

The only problem I have encountered is when installing the essential sounds (an extra). They utilise something called the Kontac player (I think that's right) and it needs access to 'Universally writeable' folders on each of the client PCs. Change of permissions etc.

It's a bit of a chew on to install, but I recall getting good instructions from the Sibelius web site last time I had to do it.

Andrew

Thank Post
    The only problem I have encountered is when installing the essential sounds (an extra). They utilise something called the Kontac player (I think that's right) and it needs access to 'Universally writeable' folders on each of the client PCs. Change of permissions etc.
    That bit I got working. (I install the sounds extra via a script and just have a little bit on the end to change the permissions.)

Thank Post
    Oh well I just repackaged with WinInstall LE - seems a crime to repackage an msi, but it works and I haven't got time to faff around with it yet.

Thank Post
    Sorry to raise an old post, however we are building the new XP image. Using SCCM we are planning on deploying this one image to all machines. On the build is Sib 5, however once it is sysprep'd and it boots back up when you run the stand alone version of Sib 5 it works but when it comes to saving the file it wants to go online to register. Something which can only be done by an admin - so i am thinking it must write something to the registry. Any one know what this could be so we could sort it on our build image so we dont have to actually visit all machines with Sib 5 on them?!

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We use the Standalone version of Sibelius 5, and are upgrading to Sibelius 6 soon.
    They are installed in a 2 dedicated Music Suites so we had no need for network version etc.

Not sure where you have obtained quotation(s) from etc but I found Counterpoint Direct very competitive, and the help and advice from Nigel was briliant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    i am thinking it must write something to the registry. Any one know what this could be so we could sort it on our build image so we dont have to actually visit all machines with Sib 5 on them?!
    Our install script includes a line that loads the following .reg file in to the registry:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\ApplicationPath]
    @="C:\\Program Files\\Sibelius Software\\Sibelius 5\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\Preferences]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\Preferences\LicenceServerInfo]
    @="10.0.0.66"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\Preferences\Paths]
    @=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\Preferences\Paths\Scores]
    @=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 5\SerialNumber]
    @="YourSerialNumberGoesHere"
    --
    David Hicks

14. Thanks to dhicks from:

Paid_Peanuts (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I've tried the reg frag above but the software is still down as unregistered - I can get the serial number working fine but cannot get it to install as a registered copy and always want to be initially registered by somebody.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread