+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Student Report Software in Technical; Hi All, One of the schools I work at currently use a system of word documents for doing student reports, ...

Thank Post

Student Report Software

Hi All,

One of the schools I work at currently use a system of word documents for doing student reports, these are a mess and poorly organised, the office staff have asked me of any software I might know of.
    This school in particular is a special needs school for 11-16+ whereas all the other schools are primary so all their reporting software (report assist) is aimed at primary school.

I was just wondering what other people use and what cost they are and also if they are any good.

Any information would be great,

Cheers,

Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We use Lisol Pathways (www.lisol.co.uk) for our school reports. However we are moving back to SIMS from September 2009.

Another local school use Pisys (I think that is what it is called)

Gareth

3. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

bladedanny (6th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Having received my daughter's report (Year 10) yesterday, I was delighted that her school appear to have moved away from report writing software.

The report is shorter, there is much less written about each subject, but it's actually written about my daughter and the targets are meaningful to her. It's the best report she's had from my point of view.

Stick with word! Just organise it better!

Incidentally, we're a small prep school and use word for our reports. We have templates that we mail merge with the class list to fill in the standard info. The teachers then amend the mail-merged document.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    I agree personally written reports are a lot better and are, as they say, personal. But unfortunatly It's not what is better, most if the time it's what is easier. I have knocked together a little access database that will be eaiser to use than the word option (which is currently organised by subject...don't ask).

Again the idea of the software is just to provide a more organised, easier way to type/print the report as opose to using set phrases etc.

Thanks for all advise,

Dan

Thank Post
    <NM Hat>
    Attached is a handy little gadget for producing reports in word, assesment manager (as we use) or whatever else. Profiles in SIMS looks good, but I've never used it.</NM Hat>

<Teacher hat>
    Personally, I have no problem with sending out comment bank reports, or with giving the same report to several students as long as it's accurate for each one.
    </teacher hat>
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Thanks to BatchFile from:

Thank Post
    We use SIMS .net Profiles and we choose not to use Comment banks at all. All student reports are free texts and include "Smart" targets for areas they can improve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Another local school use Pisys (I think that is what it is called)

Gareth
    We use Pysspoor, aka Reportassist

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PieEater View Post
    My only concern with Word reports is, whilst it gives you a personal touch, the 'once a year report card' should be made redundant. What is the point informing parents how well their child is doing at the end of a year? Surely the idea would be to combine reporting software (with parental portal) with a small section in which teachers can fill in their thoughts, homework / classwork comments are viewable...thus giving an ongoing way to monitor progression and work on ways to improve.
    Reports here go out 3 times ayear and are only part of the parent feedback loop.

My teenagers also bring home 3 reports a year (different schools) - in both cases, 1 is the full written job and the other 2 are progress reports, showing progress against targets, effort marks and targets for the next term. These are released in time for consultations at school, so you go into the consultations with something to discuss.

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

PieEater (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    My school also uses a combination of Word and Excel for marks/reports. I feel so sorry for all the teachers sitting for hours on end copying from one to the other. I'm very much toying with the idea of writing an application to do it for them - something along the lines of PHP/Mysql that controls the marks and just generates them.

Unless there's something more effective that's a) free b) network friendly of course

Thank Post
    My school also uses a combination of Word and Excel for marks/reports. I feel so sorry for all the teachers sitting for hours on end copying from one to the other. I'm very much toying with the idea of writing an application to do it for them - something along the lines of PHP/Mysql that controls the marks and just generates them.

Unless there's something more effective that's a) free b) network friendly of course

Thank Post
    We still use word/mailmerge for our reports, infact I've just had to set it all up again

I'd previously setup seperate templates for each subject but this time round I've exported class assignments from sims and created a template to pull everything(subject, name, reg, set etc) from the spreadsheet - all I need to do is paste the teachers summary and then use mailmerge to select the class.

Thank Post
    New College Stamford have just started using Kazoo Student Reporting software. It is a windows based application to aid the creation of student reports with fixed formatting and management.

We worked very close with New College to implement this application and it is going through further development every day.

If anyone would like to have a talk about Kazoo Student Reports please contact us kazoosoft.eu

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread