+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Screenshot on badword/image in Technical; We put a securus box on the system just before Christmas and this combined with a crack down on the ...
    Thank Post

Re: Screenshot on badword/image

We put a securus box on the system just before Christmas and this combined with a crack down on the results from SLT has completely changed the students use of langauge and behaviour the network.

When we first stuck it on we were quite shocked by the amount of dodgy behaviour and language they were using, but we publised that we were putting in the system in assemblies. We came down hard on a couple of kids caught out in the first week and word spread like wildfire about "the box" and how it was watching everything you do all the time.

Now we have hardly any hits on the box at all. The odd swear word in an email but nothig worse than that. The kids seem to regard it as a total "big brother" thing and that if they even think about doing bad things it will suddenly appear and take them away. This way say something more about the psychology of our kids though

There were a number of false postives at the start but changing the filter words soon fixed that (arsenal's website coming up over and over).

I do agree that it is too expensive. I had to go to the govenors to get special funding for this but it wasn't that difficult given the current media climate of fear over the net and grooming etc. We paid around £4000 for the initial fee for a seconadary school of 800ish.

Overall, I love having it, it's really cut down on the amount of "surveilance" work me and my technician do- but mainly it's a great "safety net" providing accountabliity to the system should the worst happen.

Sorry for the long post!

Thank Post

We use an In House solution that looks for "iffy words" then takes print screen - saved on a server under the users username / data / time /pc on.

It then tells the user they are performing no allowed actions so be warned.

This captures everything you need, does everything the rip of companies ones do.

We may look at offering this solution at a small charge to recoup our time investment made - perhaps to get a few extra PCs -

Any takers, can provide more info if required

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Hi Ben, we'd be very interested in the details on your solution please.

Thank Post

@benIT : We are currently trialing the securus system which does what you say yours does.

I would be very intrested in seeing what yours can do, please can you provide some more info for me, PM me.

[edit]
    Just read page 1 of this thread and I would agree with alot of the posts about the false positives yeah sure it catches the few and we did make an example of them but most are just pickingup words that are mis-spelled of have a letter missing.

Don't know if I have the time to sit through the daily barrage of reported violations to only find a handfull that are correct.
    [/edit]

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT
    @benIT : We are currently trialing the securus system which does what you say yours does.

I would be very intrested in seeing what yours can do, please can you provide some more info for me, PM me.

[edit]
    Just read page 1 of this thread and I would agree with alot of the posts about the false positives yeah sure it catches the few and we did make an example of them but most are just pickingup words that are mis-spelled of have a letter missing.

Don't know if I have the time to sit through the daily barrage of reported violations to only find a handfull that are correct.
    [/edit]
    WIth any monitoring software, its all about training and tailoring the product to your needs. There are tips and tricks for spending less than 10 minutes a day to catch the inappropriate behaviour. If anyone wants any more info please let me know.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pear
    Despite not being the best programmer in the world I don't think its actually that hard to actually program yourself. All you have to do is scan the RAM for certain combinations of characters.
    Wow, is that all, we've had self harming, proxy avoidance, bullying, and more Yours sounds trivial in comparison.

Thank Post

How the hell is "Jar Jar" a racist word?!

I don't think you'd be kicked out of Big Brother for saying that one!

Thank Post

I saw a demo of Policy Central by Forensic Software and that looked pretty good. Not got it like.

www.forensicsoftware.co.uk

Thank Post

We've had Securus for about a year now. I just configure our Securus to EXCLUDE words like LIK...

Thank Post

With the Forensic stuff you can assign people to be emailed.

This means you can assign levels to the offences and have say a level 2 Year 8 offence go to Head of Year but a Level 4 go to someone else etc..

Thank Post

We use impero here to do all badword screen shotting. Does the trick well keeps a record for as long as we want it

Thank Post

also using Impero here, no complaints about screening and violation recording using their software.

Kind regards
    Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12