+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Anyone had luck with Digital Blue deployment? in Technical; Just had 10 of the cameras turn up here and I am going to have to roll them out all ...
    richard

Re: Anyone had luck with Digital Blue deployment?

Just had 10 of the cameras turn up here and I am going to have to roll them out all over the school as they wan to move the cameras from yr group to yr group.

Thank Post

Well at least it would appear that the software on the CD no longer requires local admin access. That is making my install much easier this year. Still having to go around each requested station, but it's only about 15 so not a massive issue.

richard

I've had a look at the very limited network install info and have decided that it will be easier to go round each machine and install it.

Thank Post

It annoys me when companies make products that are aimed for schools, then make the software as if it was being used in a home. Grrr! Do you think we should name and shame these companies? :P. Digiblue are an absolute nightmare on a lot of workstations to be honest. The workarounds mentioned in this thread should never have had to be done.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, digiblue e-mailed me to confirm that it couldn't be automatically deployed across a network... that's it. That was all the help they could give.

Thank Post

Elsewhere I proposed having some kind of 'EduGeek mark' whereby software that was easy to maintain could be hilighted.

Thank Post

We introduced digital blue at my place (Well, not we, the head of IT) and as soon as the management heard about them, they queried if it to do with anythingh relating to 'p0rn', we were shocked, but then we looked at the name again, and...well....we had to laugh!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by david12345
    Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    we have 4 of these camreas and about the only good use for them is as a cheap webcam as as soon as you take them off and put them back need to reinstall driver. and need admin rights to do it just wait till the lovly children want to use them. even more fun if pcs are networked. these are only disgined for standalone machines. thats what i was told and to work them propley you need admin rights (like i am going to give a student admin rights even if it is just local.
    we are finding too, that the software only works when logged on as admin. however do the others on this thread all find that or can students/staff users use the software without admin rights? since this product is widely used across the country surely it must be able to work for users on a network without admin rights?
    once it is installed - as admin- will the software work when users with limited rights eg students login to that computer?

Thank Post

I created a package for digital blue on my CC3 network last week - no problems whatsoever. Maybe thats because the only users of this software have a few admin privelages (?)

Thank Post

Part of the problem may be that the software wants to create temporary files under C:\Program Files\Digital Blue\PC Digital Movie Creator 2.0\User Files\Temp (and Temp Content)

Seems I was wrong about this being a permissions problem. The installer sets permissions on the 'User Files' folder to give Everyone Full Control. Nice one Digital Blue, you just shot people using Software Restriction Policies in the foot.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by david12345
    once it is installed - as admin- will the software work when users with limited rights eg students login to that computer?
    Yes, it will, as long as they use the same usb port the admin used.

Thank Post

i created a package successfully for RM into an MSI which works well, but you will need to take one camera and plug in as administrator to get the drivers picked up

Thank Post
    I was able to deploy the digital blue 3 software, i used the network install so that all files are stored on our server, mainly as if teachers machines died we lost there recordings

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12