+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Educational Recources and ELC's in Technical; Originally Posted by sahmeepee You want me to "subscribe" to a directory of static files?! Ack. Oh I dunno. Better ...

Thank Post

Re: Educational Recources and ELC's

Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee
    You want me to "subscribe" to a directory of static files?! Ack.
    Oh I dunno. Better that than having to repackage a pre millennium Windows 98 run as admin hey have I got DLLs for you sir horror.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    Down here in Dorset, the teachers are supposed to put stuff up onto the SWGfL website to share. I know that one of my schools uses it, but I don't think they actually put things for other people to see.
    Having said that - I set up passwords and everything for people ages ago, and got some training on how to use the site from Linda, Web Manager/VLE co-ordinator for Dorset LA, (lindylou on this site) but to my knowledge only a couple of TAs actually use it!!
    It is a good site but without the direction from the SMT, the teachers won't get to grips with it.
    I will pass on details of The Teacher Resource Exchange to them!
    Your not alone most leas have these 'portals' but as it stands succesful ones are ones eho get lea consultants to collect samples from schools and upload them. As problem is teachers feel they dont have time to upload and sort stuff like this. But lea consultant sending email out to schools send me samples of work that can put on site has better chance as all they have to do is email stuff in and then consultant uploads it.

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Some Regions have produce some fantastic resources and given them away for free. North West Grid for Learning and their DiDA Delivered materials are a fantastic example of this.

Collaboration is not in the nature of manglement in schools ... unless it is on their terms. It is usually individual members of staff that want to share stuff. It takes a large change in the culture of the school to embed the ethos of sharing best practice (or using the practice of others to improve your own).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I Just spoke with one of the teachers who ordered these outrageously priced presentations - she's had to go through them all to correct spelling mistakes, apparently there are quite a few --ggrrr

Anyway thanks for all the links, I'll make sure the teachers are force-fed them

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 755 Posts

Question? "why do teachers think that a VLE is a cause for them to clap their hands with glee in the knowledge any material that needs preparing digitally will be done by a technician who does not understand the first thing about teaching", surely they must sort the content matter and the technician upload to the resource environment. It really boils my blood when they come and ask "i have some digital photos on this cd can you print them off for me" and when i say sorry but i am extremely busy but there is no problem with printing the photos out yourself as there are plenty of workstations and printers around the school, they take the hump and then tell me that the only reason they asked me was because they don't have the time, WHAT!!!! the lazy so and so's and this is only a small example of the tasks they think we as IT people should do. Well I never ask them to do any of my workload so why should they expect me to do some of theirs i too am very busy running a whole school network with Sims and everything else plus planning, buying, costing,etc etc on my own thanks to the governors and SMT for that one (cost cutting) long story longer than this rant but makes me feel better.

who else in a proper job would experience total f..k wits and then be told that they are always in the wrong by a spineless HT and PC correct line manager who is the Stratigic Leader for ICT and expect them not to feel undervalued and unsupported.

my apologies to the good teachers around on this matter

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

IMO it is because money is being put into paying for software and recources without actually training anyone how to use it.
    It's simply because most Senior Management Teams only think of quick fixes and don't want to think of long-term solutions. In their world ICT is about shiny new computers and flashy lights - nothing more. They certainly won't admit that there is a training deficiency in the school, which after all is a training site.
    The whole school ICT spending really needs to be turned on its head to stop this wastage - probably only BSF with Becta's guidance can do this, it's just unfortunate that it will mean we all get outsourced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12