+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Youth Bytes Desktop Communication System in Technical; If you don't mind me asking. What is the spec of the machines which locked up?...

Thank Post
    If you don't mind me asking. What is the spec of the machines which locked up?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    whats wrong with shoving a shortvut to a web page in the users startup folder so it loads everytime they log on costs £0 adds no software to the pc. Setup time writing/maintianing a simple web page and creating a few shortcuts
    Exactly what I've been trying to say.. But colleges seem to still fall for the sales man rubbish!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieC View Post
    Exactly what I've been trying to say.. But colleges seem to still fall for the sales man rubbish!
    just set it up and make it look pretty then hopefully they will get the idea theres cheaper ways of doing it that require minimal effort

Thank Post
    whats wrong with shoving a shortvut to a web page in the users startup folder so it loads everytime they log on costs £0 adds no software to the pc. Setup time writing/maintianing a simple web page and creating a few shortcuts
    To be honest, I have no idea exacltly what they want to achieve with the system. However it's not cost us anything as Kent LEA are funding it for the first year. The main thing is the targeted advertising mainily promoting The kind of things covered in PSHE lessons, and it ticks a box somewhere to do with pushing these messages to students. All in all the program doesn't actually cause us any hassle except a noticeable slow down on some of our older machines.

The ones which the full client locked up were Dell GX60 desktop machines which are celeron 2.4GHz with 1GB ram in. Our Dell D510 laptops also didn't like it very much when it was the full client.

Mike.

Thank Post
    We have just seen the software... It is awful!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    To be honest, I have no idea exacltly what they want to achieve with the system. However it's not cost us anything as Kent LEA are funding it for the first year. The main thing is the targeted advertising mainily promoting The kind of things covered in PSHE lessons, and it ticks a box somewhere to do with pushing these messages to students. All in all the program doesn't actually cause us any hassle except a noticeable slow down on some of our older machines.

The ones which the full client locked up were Dell GX60 desktop machines which are celeron 2.4GHz with 1GB ram in. Our Dell D510 laptops also didn't like it very much when it was the full client.

Mike.
    targeted adds then i wouldnt allow it on the system end of and its free for one year how much next?

Thank Post
    targeted adds then i wouldnt allow it on the system end of and its free for one year how much next?
    Agreed, No its costs £5,000 but that can be funded by the government! Lol.. That is where tax payers money goes. And then its between 1,200 - 2,400 per year! Thats crazy for a peice of software they charge companies to advertise on!

Thank Post
    I cannot dis-allow it on the grounds of the content - that is up to senior management to decide. The only grounds I could deny it on would be technical ones if it interfered or otherwise compromised our system. We extensively tested it and found it to be fine, so whether I personally like it or not it goes on the system. Same with any software or other decisions, unless there's a really good technical reason why it can't happen, then generally it does. Me not liking the idea doesn't really count.

For those that don't know what it looks like, I've attached an image of it to this post. For some reason today we've had no ads displaying, but normally that bigger window would have a PSHE related message in it be it sex education, anti drugs message etc. with a click through to a relevant website e.g Talk to Frank. We can control the message at the bottom, and we can control the theme of the ads being displayed which is supposed to be linked to our weekly academy theme.

Mike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    A little repulsive if you ask me. Same situation here Maniac,

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    £5k for that?! It'd take a couple of days of coding to come up with something like that, at most. I'm in the wrong job!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    £5k for that?! It'd take a couple of days of coding to come up with something like that, at most. I'm in the wrong job!
    Yeah, the client really isn't much, Just runs in JAVA. Ads are pulled down at machine startup and displayed from a local cache, messages are pulled down in the same manner. All controlled through a very basic web interface.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Yeah, the client really isn't much, Just runs in JAVA. Ads are pulled down at machine startup and displayed from a local cache, messages are pulled down in the same manner. All controlled through a very basic web interface.
    I think I may have a play in Visual Studio tonight...

Thank Post
    I think I may have a play in Visual Studio tonight...
    To be honest, I think anyone that's half decent with coding could write a simelar product without much trouble. The full client is a bit more featured and has things like a calculator, proper news section that you can publish small articles to and a few more bits and pieces in a more fancy interface that looks more Vista-ish.
    Last edited by maniac; 22nd June 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Spelling. Visa - Vista, it's all the same to me . . .

Thank Post
    This is the reason why we developed something similar in house (Kazoo Dashboard) And it has far greater functionality such as displaying canteen menu's, departmental news etc.

Thank Post
    We have this rubbish to at our school

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast