+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Provision Map Writer 1 in Technical; Has anyone had the dubious task of installing Provision Map Writer (for IEP's etc.) on a network. Its driving me ...
    Thank Post

Provision Map Writer 1

Has anyone had the dubious task of installing Provision Map Writer (for IEP's etc.) on a network. Its driving me mad at the moment. Had a problem when I installed it on first set of PC's a few months ago but eventually got it running (any users had to local admins) otherwise it just gave MS Access errors. Now I need to install it eslewhere and on the first PC I have set the security as before but now it will let me log in the software as a teacher and view the database on the network but when I log the software as the admin it just gives an error about "On Click expressions entered as the event property produced the following error: The OpenForm action was cancelled" !!!!! plus some info about error may be down to evaluation a macro etc. Admin login works OK on the original installed PC's!

Sorted now, found out there is an update fixing a few of the bugs!
    Last edited by TechSupp; 11th March 2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Update

Thank Post
    Commercial interest declared. I am a co-director of Blue Hills Software Co which produces Provision Map Writer. We normally try to avoid posting on public professional websites because it just annoys people who think it’s blatant free marketing. I agree with them but we felt it important to answer TechSupp’s post as nobody else had.

I’m sorry you had this problem with installation. Since launching the product in Nov. 2007 just under 2000 schools in England have purchased or trialed the software. We have had some, but relatively few installation problems given the huge variation in IT systems within schools. We are proud of our technical support which will always help with any problems like this.

Sometimes installation problems can arise with our COM-based database software that uses DLLs often found in Windows system32 folder of the Operating system. We can send our own DLLs and block Windows DLLs but we don't do this in case users need the original DLLs for other uses such as updating MS Office or Windows. Things work OK when Microsoft doesn’t issue too many updates and service packs within a short period of time. Recently, and since Microsoft introduced Vista, many database applications became redundant. Many applications couldn't install on Vista or indeed XP sp2 (hence that error message started appearing) but Blue Hills Software immediately issued an update for Vista, XP sp2 and sp3.

Although it may create a whole new set of challenges, we are gradually moving our software Online to avoid these kinds of problems and Provision Map Writer itself will shortly be available online.
    Dave Rudlin

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. As I said, got it working in the end with the latest update. Would the online version save me having to install it on individual PC's? Might seem a daft question but used to software solutions being described as network versions only to be supplied with dozens of CD's!

Just looked at the online report writer, so I presume the Provision writer would be the same and accessible from home, which was a gripe from the co-ordinator about the version we currently have as the database is held on our school server?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 1st April 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Yes, Provision Map Writer Online is totally web-based so there is nothing to install and all data is stored on our server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread