+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, CorelDraw X4 ARM [Application Recovery Manager] in Technical; Hi all, I am trying to setup CorelDraw on our network. I have installed it at the station and I ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

CorelDraw X4 ARM [Application Recovery Manager]

Hi all,

I am trying to setup CorelDraw on our network. I have installed it at the station and I am now logged on as a student and I am testing the install. Creating a new drawing is possible.

However when I want to save it I get the 'Application Recovery Manager Wizard' [See attached picture]

I have set the policy to allow students to access/use the program [CorelDraw] using Group Policy Management [Server 2008] by adding path rules and setting the access to be unrestricted.

I have Googled the problem and followed some of the solutions I found. Nothing worked and I am now looking for someone who has encountered this problem and solved it.

Server OS: Windows Server 2008: service Pack 1
    Workstation OS: Windows XP: Service Pack 3.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think I have found what triggers ARM [CARM] to run. When a new drawing is created and we want to save it it tries to save to a default location. Here it tries to default to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName\...\etc

[Can't remember the exact path as I am posting this from home]

I have changed the save location to what I would like it to be:

U:\

And captured the preference by copying the local profile to the server but now it is trying to save to the UNC path version of the nominated save location:

\\ServerName\Shared Profile\Username\HomeFolder\

Where the HomeFolder name is static no matter who logs on. I would like to be able to force Corel to just save to U:\

Does anybody know how to do this [possibly with shortcut switches, changes to an INI file, registry,....?]

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem, with the identical Server & Workstation setup, would you mind specifying the full path of the file you have uploaded into your profile?

Has this enabled the software to run without the ARM errors when you click save?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matte53 View Post
    Hi,

Has this enabled the software to run without the ARM errors when you click save?
    Hi.

We still have the "ARM issue"

We can get CorelDraw to run for a student but not save. I don't think that we have made any progress at all since installing the CorelDraw suite.

However I have identified a way to edit ntuser.man [I had forgotten how to do this until I was reminded yesterday]

Please be careful if you want to try this: There are so many ways this could go wrong if you are not careful that it is REALLY scary!

Click Start/Run and enter:

regedt32

You can then navigate to a specific part of the Registrty Hive [can't remember the exact location at the moment but I think it might be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE] and select 'Load Hive' from the file menu. Navigate to the location of your CorelDraw shared profile and select NTUser.dat. You can then search for the offending entries and modify them.

I tried this yesterday [exporting the changes back to a new .dat file. However I obviously did not do something correctly as there was no change in the behavior of CorelDraw.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I think the problem is more group policy based than profile based. I've run a student user with a local profile that they can access and change and it still brings the A.R.M error, if i remove the GP it runs fine.

Have contacted Corel about the issue but as yet haven't had any helpful info, they said it needs to run as an administrator, which i've found isn't actually true, our staff users which are not administrators can run the software fine, but they have a very relaxed GP.

Regards

Matt

Thank Post
    Hi Dave,

I have fixed the issue!

In our group policy go to...

User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer > Common Open File Dialog

Make sure that 'Hide The Dropdown List of Recent Files' is set to Not Configured and fingers crossed it will stop the ARM coming up and you will be able to Save & Open as we are now able to.

Let me know if it works,

Regards

Matt

7. 2 Thanks to matte53:

DaveP (15th March 2009), round2it (30th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi matte53,

Thanks for your PM. For some reason I can't reply to you: It says that your user is "unknown"

Your solution did not work for me. However thing have happened recently which make this issue seem very unimportant.

On another matter I have unintentionally removed reputation points from you [intending to add to thank you for your suggestion] I will undo what I have already done later [the system won't let me do it at the moment saying I have to add reputation to others before I can come back here]

Perhaps the moderator can help by removing the - [negative] reputation I added on this thread? Please?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Progress?

OK. So it may be that we have made some progress on this: And it it is probably something that I should have thought of ages ago but there you go.

It would appear that this is what a former visiting engineer used to call a 'Profile thing'

I logged on at a station as a user without a profile defined in Active Directory, Started CorelDraw and logged off again. I then copied the profile from the workstation for the user up to the server and then defined that newly created profile as the profile which this student uses from here on. Logging on again [now with the manadtory network profile in place] and testing Corel yields favourable results. It is still early days but I think this might be the answer.

Furthermore I think that this gives me the opportunity to rework the profile to incorporate other changes [the move to Office 2007 from Office 2003 etc.] and hopefully sort some slowness of logon issues we have here.

Talking of the new profile I recall from another network I used to look after that there was very little in the profile apart from, as I recall, NTUser.man and a couple of other files/folders. What do your networks have in your student profiles to make them work [just looking for a reminder of the files that I recall so that I can delete the dross out of my newly created profile and hopefully speed up logon times by decreasing the size of the profile and shortening the profile copy/download time at logon]

Thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread