+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, PROMISOR ADMINISTRATOR / ESM SERVER ISSUES in Technical; I am having problems that have occoured after the Prommisor Administrator and ESM server latest upgrade. I have always found ...
    Thank Post

PROMISOR ADMINISTRATOR / ESM SERVER ISSUES

I am having problems that have occoured after the Prommisor Administrator and ESM server latest upgrade.
    I have always found this software problematic.

I upgraded last week only to find that when the students turned up for the test no flash images were displayed, I rang Edexcel they kept me waiting on the phone forever not seeing the urgency, as i had 18 students down in the exam hall and a less than pleased exams officer.

Edexcel onscreen talked me through everything, the usual permissions etc, the only change i made is removing flash 10 and using flash 9 edexcel asked me to do this as they are experiencing issues with flash 10.

Edexcel could not resolve the issue. Flash 9 allowed administrator's to see the flash objects where flash 10 would not, but when i log in as a student the flash objects will not display.

I have checked that flash works by visiting flash websites and using flash objects they work ok as a student but when is comes to this stofware no flash objects display as a student.

Is anyone in the same boat ?
    Does anyone have any ideas / resolutions ?
    I am currently unable to let the students take there tests due to this.

Thank you for your help and support in advance

Thank Post
    I used to think this software wasn't too bad, in the last week or so I've changed my mind. We have always had issues with the images not loading up, test data not downloaded to the ESM etc.

When ever I have needed to ring the support etc, I have always been on quite a while and by the time I get off the phone it doesn't leave much time for the students to undertake the tests.

Unfortunately this is the start of online tests and we currently do ALAN and Assett languages online as well as the QCA KS3 ICT tests a few years back, the shift for all exam boards to move online is just around the corner to save on costs etc. Unfortunately the software needs to improve and consideration needs to be given to schools to organise ICT suites for exam use as well as disruption to other lessons.

Thank Post
    Flash not working is down to folder permissions on the client machines. The students need full control of the promissor client folder. You can set this via scripting using xcacls in a machine startup script. I personally tried setting the folder permissions using active directory but for some reason didn't work so used the xcacls method.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 18th February 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    I use thin client, the users have full permission this is one of the first things i did

Thank Post
    We had the same problem, and again was the promisor folder in program files, users and power users need full access.

I ran the update on Monday and it broke itself. But support fixed it. It does seem to hate flash 10 though. Poor coding as usual, it sees flash 10 as flash 1. Never thought double digits would be so hard for programmers...

Thank Post
    Unfortunatley i tried adding power users , to no avail

Thank Post
    It is a pain this new prommisor, it was a lot easier when it was ExamBase. If it aint broke dont fix it edexcel!

I always log them on as administrator and make sure the invigilator knows the risks and makes sure they log off as soon as the exam is finish. Never had a problem.

Thank Post
    I wish i could log them on as administrator, but we cannot take the security risks.
    We will only allow students to use students accounts and staff to use staff accounts.
    We have assgned special accounts for the exams due to the exam security restriction's the exams officer requires, when they log in to the exam the only software that loads in Prommisor Administrator, this prevents internet usage and games etc.

I know education software is rubbish most of the time, but this takes the mik

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a domain group called exams, this group is added to the local admins on the pcs (only in one suite of 30) in this group I have a user a single login which I disable when not in use and/or change the password as soon as the exam is finished that way the kids logon as local admin and take the test once the promissor software is up and running it locks out the desktop (mostly) once the kids are in exam conditions they cant get out to tell anyone the password any shinanigans and they are booted of the exam. You could tie it to certain machines/times/have the account disable automatically after 24hrs etc. you could go around and logon for them so all the see is promissor screen when they enter the exam room...

After the last three attempts have had my first successful test session. Not run it since the latest update though.

Thank Post
    Touch wood until now we don't have any problems and ours run as normal users, I guess with this latest upgrade that we've not done yet all this may change =(

Sorry to hear of your plight.

Thank Post
    We seem to be doing okay with the latest update.

Our tests on Tuesday (yes, test's during HT) started an hour and a half late - some students left but we got there in the end. The afternoon batch all started fine.

Our of interest do you have a copy of the ALAN test demo flash file with mock exams? It may be worth running that and seeing what happens (I can make a copy of the files available to you if you haven't).

The folder permissions for our setup grants "Everyone" modify/read/write/other permissions (everything but full).

We've also just updated to flash 10.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have some tests somewhere, I think there may be some online from memory, but it wont test promissor/esm system, you need to phone them and get some dummy accounts set up that are set to be active from a certain time, This is the most infuriating part of it as testing requires a phone call to therer support team to get it set up. why they cant have a permanent account set up for testing or a create test user button in the server part I dont know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksawbob View Post
    I have some tests somewhere, I think there may be some online from memory, but it wont test promissor/esm system, you need to phone them and get some dummy accounts set up that are set to be active from a certain time, This is the most infuriating part of it as testing requires a phone call to therer support team to get it set up. why they cant have a permanent account set up for testing or a create test user button in the server part I dont know.
    Bit different for us. We have some local tests hosted on our intranet (with the exception of the log on stage) these eflect how the client application will act.

We get students to run the demo prior to taking the tests so they don't end up logging in and having the problems.

Admittedly there really does need to be a test login intergrated too.

Thank Post
    Please could you make he files available then i will test them, Neoplosive
    Thank you

Thank Post

On the phone to 2nd line support

Been on with edexcel's second line support today.

They have given me a workaround, this is to add the exam group to local admin.
    I have done this on a temprorary basis to allow exams to go ahead but have restricted the users so only prommisor administrator can run on the terminal server for security.

They told me i cannot roll back to another version after you have upgraded.

2nd line support are submitting a trouble ticket to the developers to let them know are try and find a resolve to the issues experienced.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast