+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Anyone have an MSI for Google Earth 5 in Technical; Does anyone have an MSI file for Google Earth 5? The one I created with WinInstall LE doesn't work, and ...

Thank Post

Anyone have an MSI for Google Earth 5

Does anyone have an MSI file for Google Earth 5? The one I created with WinInstall LE doesn't work, and I don't really know how to fix it. Alternatively, any help fixing it would also be appreciated (when running the .msi file on a client, it fails immediately with an error 2715 and no useful information).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I hate the fact that recent releases from Google now have to use the Google Updater. Why? Because it hides the fact that there is a ready-built .msi already in the installer.

When Google Updater runs it downloads a .exe into the C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Offline folder and then launches it to perform the install. In Google Earth's case, the .exe can be found at C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Offline\{74AF07D8-FB8F-4D51-8AC7-927721D56EBB}\GoogleEarth-Win-Plus-5.0.11337.1968.exe, though of course this will change the minute they issue the next update.

If you open this .exe in a package extractor such as 7-Zip, you will find all the setup files, including the .msi. Extract the lot and it should* be deployable.

*I'm still testing my deployment as I type this, but it's looking good so far.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 9th February 2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Link to 7-Zip because it's awesome

3. 4 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

careless (9th February 2009), dhicks (10th February 2009), enjay (10th February 2009), tosh74 (11th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I found the .msi file in the temprary folder after running the setup.exe fiel you linked to.

Thank Post
    Not sure if you've tried GPO deployment on it yet, but I had to make a modification to the .msi to get it to deploy. When I first tried it, I kept getting the error message "Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct."

This appears to be because of erroneous data in the Languages field in the .msi Summary Information. I had to open the .msi in Orca, go to the View > Summary Information menu, and edit the Languages field so that it only contained 1033 (the language ID for US English). Only then would it successfully deploy.

6. 5 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

altecsole (11th February 2009), ITSchoolBod (21st April 2009), jj99 (11th February 2009), Modey (28th June 2010), tosh74 (11th February 2009)

rad
    Thank Post
    we have it installed in an MSI and I deployed ok today.

Thank Post
    Awesome, ill give this a go tommorow been hunting on appdeploy all day for something about it!

Thank Post
    Guess I should write something for AppDeploy then... was actually going to put something on there for Adobe Premiere Elements 7 last week, but then I discovered it has an egregious AppData redirection bug just like Acrobat 9 and I have now forsaken it in disgust.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Not sure if you've tried GPO deployment on it yet, but I had to make a modification to the .msi to get it to deploy. When I first tried it, I kept getting the error message "Unable to extract deployment information from the package. Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct."

This appears to be because of erroneous data in the Languages field in the .msi Summary Information. I had to open the .msi in Orca, go to the View > Summary Information menu, and edit the Languages field so that it only contained 1033 (the language ID for US English). Only then would it successfully deploy.
    Just tried to add it as a package in GP, getting the same error. Waiting for Orca to download now, may need some more help later . Cheers for the advice in the meantime.

Thank Post

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    When Google Updater runs it downloads a .exe into the C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Offline folder and then launches it to perform the install. In Google Earth's case, the .exe can be found at C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Offline\{74AF07D8-FB8F-4D51-8AC7-927721D56EBB}\GoogleEarth-Win-Plus-5.0.11337.1968.exe, though of course this will change the minute they issue the next update.
    It looks like they've release a new version, I couldn't find the .exe in the above location, but I did find it being downloaded into my temp directory, already extracted. Unfortunatly as soon as the web installer was finished with it, it removed the folder, I got around this by denying delete rights to my temp folder for the currently logon user, whilst I copied the MSI etc out into another folder. Then got rid of the deny permissions.

I wish google would make it easy for use to obtain the MSIs.

Thank Post
    My usual tactic for grabbing temp files from Setup programs these is to use Process Explorer to Suspend the setup.exe while it is running.

13. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

altecsole (11th February 2009), TheScarfedOne (7th April 2009)

Thank Post
    If you can get a hold of the setup executable (GoogleEarth-Win-Plus-5.0.11337.1968.exe) you can use 7zip to extract the .msi and relevant files from it. You'd probably have to use Orca as above - I haven't tried this because I've got it working now - but this isn't particularly difficult.

A google search should turn up the executable. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    How would you use Orca to set the disk cache, disable the usage statistics and not install the google toolbar?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    How would you use Orca to set the disk cache, disable the usage statistics and not install the google toolbar?
    Usage statistics default to off when you deploy via Group Policy. It is turned on/off by modifying the USAGESTATS row in the Property table. The toolbar install also doesn't seem to run when deployed (at least it didn't on our machines).

Moving the cache directory is a more complicated matter. Are you trying to move it to a different directory within the user's profile or move it to a common directory for all users on a particular machine? I can provide an example MST for either scenario if you let me know where you want to move it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    That does bypass Google Updater, so a good find in that respect, but it's still not the full download sadly. It clocks in at only 501KB and then proceeds to download the remaining files, so some hunting through the temp directory is still in order.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the response, AT. I was hoping to move the cache to a central server where users can share. I'm hoping this will reduce bandwidth use. Is this doable?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast