+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Anyone have an MSI for Google Earth 5 in Technical; Moving the cache file to a network share would be very easy (easier in fact that moving it to a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Moving the cache file to a network share would be very easy (easier in fact that moving it to a single per-machine cache as I normally do), but I'm not sure that multiple users would be able to access the same cache simultaneously. I strongly suspect that once the first user is running Google Earth the cache file will be locked and subsequent users would not be able to access it, but I suppose it's worth a try.

All you need to do is set up the network share you want to use with at least write permissions for all your users, then modify one row in the Registry table of the MSI. Search for the row with CachePath in the Name column, and make the following changes:
    1. Change the Root column to 2
    2. Change the Value column to the UNC path of the share where you want the cache file to be

Of course, you can set this value to put the cache file anywhere you want. If you want it to be a folder on the local machine, it will either have to already exist with the correct permissions, or you will need to create it using further modifications to the MSI (which is what I do on our machines).

Thank Post
    What's better with the cache - local or networked? It doesn't see much use here, plus server disk space and network bandwidth are precious, but I don't want to have it on the local disk if it is going to grow and grow until the disk is full - are there any limits to its size?

Also, I installed GE5 onto a clean machine as a user who won't have used GE before, and it picked up a load of .kmz files which the Geography students have used before. Where did it get that information from, and how can I stop that from happening?

Thank Post
    I've never tried a networked cache, and I don't know whether Chuckster ever tried it either. Hopefully he'll see this post and let us know.

As for the imported files, do you know which folder they were in when GE found them?

Thank Post
    I have no idea where the imported files (waypoints from a GPS unit) would have been - what I do know is that they were imported by students using GE Plus on a different computer on the network. Most bizarre.

Thank Post

Question MSI deployed by GPO then folder create errors

Many thanks Angry Technician, for the Orca msi edit specific. I have been chasing this subject for about six weeks and this is the first time I've found any info on that bit having stumbled from one hurdle to the next. That was my last stumbling block. Was. Having got it deployed using GPO (Hooray) I find that when I log on as a non domain admin and fire up GE I get three "Could not create folder" errors with a path unprintables\Google\GoogleEarth. I am guessing it is trying to create folders somewhere to which the user is denied. Does anyone know what the whole path is and can it be changed in the msi, and where?
    Regards
    Frustrated IT School Bod.
    Last edited by ITSchoolBod; 21st April 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Thank Post
    The only place it should be trying to create any files would the the user's Application Data folder. Go to %appdata% for the affected user and check they have permissions to create new folders, etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12