+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Primary National Stratergy CD problem in Technical; Hi All I was given this CD to check out, "Overcoming barriers in mathematics" level 3 -level 4. You are ...
    Thank Post

Question Primary National Stratergy CD problem

Hi All

I was given this CD to check out, "Overcoming barriers in mathematics" level 3 -level 4.
    You are supposed to be able to click on start_here.pps file to navigate your way though the material on the disc.......doesn't work Powerpoint can't open it "parts of file missing".
    No problem I thought, ordered up another one, this dult arrived and guess what.....same problem.
    I have looked around for odd settings in Powerpoint, tried to trick it by changing file name to .ppt, still no luck. Tried different machine.

Anybody had this problem with this disc?
    There does not seem to be any tech person, you get through to an order line / call centre.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by technowerzel View Post
    Hi All

I was given this CD to check out, "Overcoming barriers in mathematics" level 3 -level 4.
    You are supposed to be able to click on start_here.pps file to navigate your way though the material on the disc.......doesn't work Powerpoint can't open it "parts of file missing".
    No problem I thought, ordered up another one, this dult arrived and guess what.....same problem.
    I have looked around for odd settings in Powerpoint, tried to trick it by changing file name to .ppt, still no luck. Tried different machine.

Anybody had this problem with this disc?
    There does not seem to be any tech person, you get through to an order line / call centre.

Cheers
    Don't know if this makes a difference but the start_here file is a .pps rather than a .ppt. In other words double clicking sends it straight into displaying the slide show. I have copies of all the files if you want one in particular.

Thank Post

Smile Re Primary National Stratergy CD problem

Thanks, if you could PM me a copy of start_here.pps it would be good, I am assuming that somehow the file has got corrupted and they have not verified any of their CD,s.

Thanks again.

Technowerzel

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by technowerzel View Post
    Thanks, if you could PM me a copy of start_here.pps it would be good, I am assuming that somehow the file has got corrupted and they have not verified any of their CD,s.

Thanks again.

Technowerzel
    Will do when I get back into school in the morning - was manic this afternoon as we had no internet this morning so everyone is playing catch-up.

Thank Post

Having the same trouble!!

i'm having the same trouble with the cd too . Is there any chance you could let me know where i can get a copy of the ppt file from?

I called National Strategies and there have not got a clue whats going on!!!

Thank Post
    Can be found at Search entire site: overcoming barriers

#
    Overcoming barriers in mathematics – helping children move from level 3 to level 4

Document

Booklet providing support and guidance on progression in mathematics across two levels with suggestions on how to use the Overcoming barriers CD-based resource (Ref:00695-2007PCK-EN). These materials are structured around the strands and so link to the Blocks and Units in the Framework. They provide guidance on undertaking an initial identification of the barriers in mathematics that slow pupils’ progress and limit their attainment. They include support for planning and teaching to help pupils to overcome the identified barriers, to re-assess their learning, and to enable pupils to recognise the progress they have made.

Hope that helps.

Thank Post
    Thaks for that but thats the pdf doc. there is a copy of a powerpoint presentation on there. i'll give them that one and see if there happy with it!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matyb2k View Post
    Thaks for that but thats the pdf doc. there is a copy of a powerpoint presentation on there. i'll give them that one and see if there happy with it!!
    Thought perhaps if you had the ref: number for the resource it would help in tracking down a replacement CD.

Thank Post
    i did call them but there wern't much help really said they would "look into it" for me.
    But didn't even ask me for a phone number, so i won't hold my breath!

Thanks for you help!!

If i manage to get a copy i'll post a link to it!!
    Last edited by Matyb2k; 3rd March 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Thank Post

ppt/pps files

The non running of this disc seems to be down to some Powerpoint installs inability to open a .pps file.

The only workround I have found for this is to us the presentation software in Portable Apps (free download) to open the presentation.

Any other methods that I tried, converting into various formats....Flash, HTML etc resulted in severed hyperlinks!

Portable Apps takes up little space so, for the time being I have placed a copy along side the disc contents on the network for staff to access there.
    Not a very elegant solution but it works. Until Microsoft manages to get its applications to open its own files ......dream on.

11. Thanks to technowerzel from:

Matyb2k (5th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Work fine now

just opened it up in open office and re save it and it works ok, formatting is a bit over the place.

Cheers for ya help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread