Poll: Real Player: Do you have it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Educational Software Thread, Real Player in Technical; Agreed Tony. I have been looking into this even more since my last comments and some links provided in earlier ...

Thank Post

Re: Real Player

Agreed Tony. I have been looking into this even more since my last comments and some links provided in earlier responses led me to the relevant licensing page where I could fill out the distribution form. I will move all the machines we had on Enterprise to the Basic edition this week to make sure we are in compliance with our newly agreed terms.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice work Dook

I thought Real had made there terms unimplementable on a educational network. The say its "free" but being unable to redistro is a BIG limitation. Looks like the only real way to implement this is by buying enterprise and @ £2 a seat its rather expensive for a codec
    Real need to sort it out, this should be free for schools in the redist sense. I just feel sorry for you people out there that have possibly broken the terms and have to explain to staff why you are removing it. Good luck

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    Nice work Dook

I thought Real had made there terms unimplementable on a educational network. The say its "free" but being unable to redistro is a BIG limitation. Looks like the only real way to implement this is by buying enterprise and @ £2 a seat its rather expensive for a codec
    Real need to sort it out, this should be free for schools in the redist sense. I just feel sorry for you people out there that have possibly broken the terms and have to explain to staff why you are removing it. Good luck
    Well- it is "free" to distribute if you have filled out the distribution form on the Real Networks web site. That's what I just did over the weekend and more than covered us for a projected install-base so that we have the papers from Real to say that I told them I would be doing it...

The Enterprise edition is better- but like you say at £2 (from) a pop it's steep. Then again, you get all the central management features you might need to make your job easier, so from that perspective it isn't all that bad. All I will have to do this week is move 30 machines away from this version to our licensed free version. Not so bad. What are technicians for anyway? ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,114 Posts
    Blog Entries

Had a good chat with David earlier today.

His advice is for all schools, no matter what you decide to do with whatever version, is to fill in the online form so Real Player Basic can be used and distributed with no worries.

As for Real Player Enterprise ... yes ... the phrase "distribute" also includes sticking the software on a machine as part of a master image. RN do not follow up breaches of this ... however FAST do. Although a certain amount of the licencing is based on trust between RN and schools, it should not be taken for granted.

Yes, £2 per seat is expensive for a media player if you only look at it as a media player ... but it is not just a media player ... don't forget the server, the video library side of things, RealProducer and the enterprise manger. It starts looking reasonable at that point.

For those who are interested in the RP Enterprise route there is also training available. Real University is held over 2 days at UCL at a cost of £250 per day (per person). This covers video encoding, setup and config of the server and creation of materials for use. I'll link further details when I have them.

RM also do a 1 day session based more around the video creation side of things (but still covers basic of setup and config). Again ... details to follow.

This is pretty much the definitive answeron things for the moment. The £2 per seat per year is the educational price and has been aggressively reduced to make it available for as many people as possible. The Perpetual licence (with 1 year Silver upgrade and support) is £5 per seat.

There you have it folks.

Thank Post

OK... so where is the form hidden? They certainly don't make it easy to find!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries

The thing we thought that would be nice about real was the DVD playback function. But enterprise dont have that, only plus does I think. £2 a license for DVD playback would be good.
    BTW FAST=EVIL
    as I have mentioned before:
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/win...9270906,00.htm

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Real Player Basic Distribution Form

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Already mentioned earlier in the thread.

Real Player Basic Distribution Form
    ops:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

And here is the further info I promised
    Hi Tony,

Very good to talk with you and I hope our explanation makes sense for you and the members of EduGeek.

For training, we hold Real University which is run throughout the year where we offer a 2 day course focused on content creation and Helix Server administration. Attend one or both days depending upon your skill set. They are taught by us using a combination of practical hands-on with theory based upon real life experiences from the field.

To view the course agenda and to book, please see the following URL:

http://europe.real.com/training/university/

We also hold a Video Library Server course at Research Machines, this is a one day only course and is a fast-start for learning the fundamentals of digitising video and creating your own Video Library Server. We are about to schedule the next series with RM, which will be held in the Autumn period. I will let you know when the URL and dates are finalised.

Please feel free to drop me a line or call if you have further questions about RealNetworks solutions.

Best regards,

David Smith
    RealNetworks

Thank Post

DISTRIBUTION LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR THE REALPLAYER OR REALJUKEBOX

This RealPlayer and/or RealJukebox Distribution License Agreement (this "Agreement") is effective as of the date you click on the "Accept" button to agree to the terms of this Agreement (the "Effective Date"). This Agreement is a legal agreement between RealNetworks, Inc., with an address at 2601 Elliot Avenue, Seattle, Washington 98121 ("RN") and your organization, with the name and address as provided in the information collection registration form ("Licensee"). Further, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to bind the Licensee to the terms of this Agreement. In consideration for the mutual promises and covenants contained herein, the parties agree as follows:

Definition following capitalized terms shall have the meanings set forth below:

(a) "Real Player" means the free version of Real's proprietary software product, currently called the "Real Player," in object code form only, as may be modified from time to time in Real's sole discretion, that is capable of (i) playing streaming audio, video and other datatypes in real time over networks; and (ii) extracting, compressing and encrypting media files, downloading and playing back media files on personal computers, and transferring, managing and playing back media files on electronic devices. The Real Player also includes all Updates of the Real Player made available to Licensee by Real during the Term, but does not include any custom versions of Real Player. The term "RealPlayer" also includes the "RealOne Player".

(b) "Real Marks" means all trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Real, including, but not limited to, "RealAudio", "RealVideo", "Real Player" ,"RealOne Player" and such marks as Real may make available to Licensee from time to time.

(c) "Real Products" means copies of Real’s Real Player software.

(d) "Term" means the term of this Agreement as set forth in Section 10.

(e) "Updates" means patches, fixes, updates, enhancements, and free successor versions to the Real Products provided to the general public by Real at its sole discretion. Updates do not include any version of a Real product that has been customized for a third party.

Grant of License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Real hereby grants Licensee a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide, royalty-free license during the term to reproduce and distribute the most current (as indicated on the online Registration Form) free version of the Real Products to end users in executable, object code form only. Licensee shall comply with the following conditions in connection with the Real Products:

(a) Licensee may only distribute the Real Products on physical media (CD-ROMs, DVDs, or diskettes);

(b) Real Products shall only be licensed and not sold;

(c) The copy of Real's standard end user license agreement, provided by Real, must accompany each copy of the Real Products distributed. Licensee must not interfere with the license acceptance procedure through which end users must click "I accept" before they can install and use the Real Products;

(d) the Real Products may be distributed as part of bundle containing the Real Product and other third party software ("Bundle");

(e) Licensee may not distribute or transmit the Real Product to any third party electronically or via download from the Internet;

(f) Licensee may not license or sub-license, Real Products to other resellers or original equipment manufacturers. Licensee may provide Real Products as a Bundle to resellers for distribution to Licensee’s customers; and

(g) Licensee will not include on any Licensee Products distributed with the Real Products any other software product that is installed in such a way that it (i) replaces the Real Products as the default player for any file extensions supported by the Real Products, such as RealAudio, RealVideo, or MP3; (ii) replaces the Real Products as the default player for any MIME types supported by the Real Products, such as: audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin, audio/x-pn-realaudio,ram, audio/vnd.rn-realaudio, vnd.rn-realmedia and video/vnd.rn-realvideo; or (iii) in any way impairs the functionality of the Real Products.

Real Products. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, Real may change the design, functionality or specifications of any of the Real Products to conform to any legal restrictions relating to encryption, copy protection, the U.S. Copyright Act (including the Audio Home Recording Act), or any other applicable legal authority in any country in which the Real Products are intended by either party to be distributed, or in response to a claim that the Real Product infringes the rights of any third party. In such event, Real shall provide Licensee with written notice of such changes as soon as practicable. Licensee shall cease manufacturing and distributing copies of any such potentially non-conforming or infringing version of the Real Products software as identified in such notice, as soon as practical, and in any event within fourteen (14) days of receipt of a replacement version from Real.

Reservation of Rights. Title to and ownership of all intellectual property rights in and to the Real Products (including but not limited to all computer codes, animations, photographs, images, video, audio, text, and music therein) are the exclusive property of Real and its suppliers. The laws of the United States and international treaties protect the Real Products. All rights not specifically granted herein to Licensee are reserved to Real. Except as expressly provided herein, Licensee shall not modify in any way, decompile, reverse engineer, otherwise transfer, distribute or use the Real Products without Real's prior written consent.

Reproduction Kit. Real shall provide a download site from which Licensee may download the Real Products. Licensee shall bear all costs associated with reproducing the Real Products for the purposes of this Agreement.

Updates. From time to time, Real may elect to make available under this Agreement an Update to a Real Product. In the event that Licensee is made aware of an Update and subject to Licensee’s right to exhaust its then-existing inventory of the applicable Real Product, Licensee shall use commercially reasonable efforts to immediately replace the Real Products it is distributing with the Update.

Use of Real's Trademarks. Licensee acknowledges that the Real Marks are trademarks of Real. Real hereby grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, limited license to use the Real Marks solely in connection with Licensee's distribution of the Real Products in the form and manner set forth in Real's Trademark Usage Guidelines found at http://www.realnetworks.com/company/logos/index.html. Licensee shall cooperate with Real in facilitating Real's monitoring and control of the nature and quality of products and services bearing the Real Marks. Upon Real's request, Licensee shall promptly provide Real with samples of any product or documentation bearing the Real Marks. If Real determines that Licensee is using the Real Marks improperly, Licensee shall immediately remedy the improper use. Licensee does not hereby acquire any ownership or other rights in the Real Marks.

Proprietary Notices. Licensee and its employees and agents shall not remove or alter any proper trademark, copyright, or other proprietary notices on or in copies of the Real Products. In addition, Licensee shall place a notice in packaging containing the Real Products that reads: "Real Player is included under license from RealNetworks, Inc. Copyright 1995-2003, RealNetworks, Inc. All rights reserved.

Packaging. Licensee shall place on Bundle packaging (box and any CD packaging therein) the logo for the Real Product(s) ("Real Logo"), available for download at http://www.realnetworks.com/company/logos/index.html. Licensee shall use the Real Logos only in accordance with the Real Logo guidelines available at the foregoing URL. The Real Logos must be featured as prominently as all other 3rd party logos appearing on the Bundle packaging.

Privacy. Licensee shall: (a) post its privacy statement on its Web site; (b) clearly disclose to end users what information is being collected in connection with distributing the Real Products; (c) enable end users to opt-out of receiving e-mails or other communications resulting from the information that is collected in connection with distributing Real Products; and (d) receive informed consent from each end user for any personally identifiable information that is collected by Licensee from such end user. Licensee may not sell, rent or disclose to third parties any personally identifiable information collected from end users in connection with its distribution of Real Products under this Agreement.

Term/Termination. The Term of this Agreement shall be one (1) year from the Effective Date. Without prejudice to any other rights, either party may terminate this Agreement upon written notice to the other party if such other party has failed to comply with this Agreement, and does not cure such failure within a ten (10) day period. Upon the expiration or termination of this Agreement for any reason, Licensee’s license rights hereunder to distribute the Real Product will cease, and Licensee will cease all use of the Real Product.

Disclaimer of Warranties and Limitation of Liability. THE REAL PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED AS IS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. REAL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT PERFORMANCE OF THE REAL PRODUCTS WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, ERROR-FREE OR SECURE OR THAT ANY SOFTWARE DEFECTS ARE CORRECTABLE OR WILL BE CORRECTED. REAL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE REAL PRODUCTS DO NOT INCLUDE ANY VIRUS, SOFTWARE ROUTINE OR OTHER SOFTWARE DESIGNED TO PERMIT UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, TO DISABLE, ERASE OR OTHER WISE HARM SOFTWARE, HARDWARE, OR DATA; OR TO PERFORM ANY OTHER SUCH ACTIONS. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BYAPPLICABLE LAW, REAL FURTHER DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES IN THE REAL PRODUCT AND REAL MARKS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE REAL PRODUCTS OR USE OF THE REAL MARKS REMAINS WITH LICENSEE. LICENSEE ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE REALPRODUCTS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE USED IN CONNECTION WITH ANY HIGH RISK ACTIVITY OF ANY KIND. REAL’s TOTAL LIABILITY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT FOR ANY CAUSE SHALL NOT EXCEED $5,000 OR THE FEES RECEIVED BY REAL UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WHICHEVER IS GREATER. IN NO EVENT SHALL REAL BE LIABLE TO LICENSEE OR ANY OTHER THIRD PARTY FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA, OR USE, INCURRED BY LICENSEE OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT OR BASED ON A WARRANTY, EVEN IF REAL OR ANY OTHER PERSON HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

Indemnity. Licensee shall indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Real from any and all damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, incurred in connection with any claim that the combination, operation or use of the Real Products with any software or hardware with which Licensee has bundled the Real Products infringes the intellectual property rights of any third party, provided that Licensee is notified promptly in writing of such claim and has sole control over its defense and settlement and Real provides reasonable assistance at Licensee’s expense.

Independent Contractor. The relationship created by this Agreement is one of independent contractors, and not partners or joint venturers.

Notices. All notices and demands under this Agreement will be in writing and will be delivered by personal service, confirmed e-mail, express courier, or certified mail, return receipt requested. All notices to Real shall be to the attention of the Legal Department, RealNetworks, Inc., 2601 Elliott Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121. All notices to Licensee shall be sent to Licensee at the address shown at the beginning of this Agreement. Either party may change its address for Notices by giving the other advance written notice.

Press Releases. Licensee agrees to allow Real the right to issue a press release announcing the relationship of the parties. Neither party will issue any press releases concerning this Agreement without the written consent of the other party.

Survival. The following sections survive any termination of this Agreement: 4, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and 21.

Export Licenses. Licensee acknowledges that the laws and regulations of the United States may restrict the export and re-export of certain commodities and technical data of United States origin. Licensee is responsible for complying with all trade regulations and laws both foreign and domestic. Licensee acknowledges that the Real Products and their underlying information or technology may not be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported (a) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, Iraq, Libya, Sudan, North Korea, Iran, Syria, or any other country subject to a U.S. Embargo; or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department’s Denied Parties List or Entity List. By licensing the Real Products, Licensee agrees to the foregoing and is representing and warranting that (i) no U.S. federal agency has suspended, revoked, or denied Licensee’s export privileges, (ii) Licensee is not located in or under control of a national or resident of any such country or on any such list, and (iii) Licensee will not export or re-export the Software to any prohibited country, or to any prohibited person, entity, or end-user as specified by U.S. export controls. If Licensee exports the Real Products from the United States, Licensee shall indemnify and hold Real harmless from and against any duties, penalties on other claims arising out of or relating to such exportation and importation.

Non-Waiver. The waiver by either party of any breach of this Agreement by the other party will not waive subsequent defaults by such party of the same or a different kind. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable, and such decision shall not affect the enforceability of such provision under other circumstances, or of the remaining provisions hereof.

Governing Law. This License Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, without regard to conflicts of law provisions, and Licensee consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in the state of Washington. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, all unresolved disputes arising under this Agreement shall be submitted to arbitration in the State of Washington. The arbitration shall be conducted under the rules then prevailing of the American Arbitration Association. The award of the arbitrator shall be binding and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction. This Agreement shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention of Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the application of which is hereby expressly excluded.

Entire Agreement/Amendment. This Agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive agreement between Real and Licensee with respect to its subject matter, and supersedes all prior oral or written understandings, communications or agreements, (notwithstanding any variance with any purchase order or other written instrument submitted by Licensee, whether formally rejected by Real or not), and may not be modified except in a writing duly signed by an authorized signatory of Real and Licensee.

Thank Post

I installed it because our PSHCE teachers wanted the kids to watch Newsround. The BBC site has a download which states FREE to all their viewers. I've sent them an email asking for clarification.

Thank Post

We want to watch all the BBC clips that they're made available for East Riding of Yorkshire schools - pretty much al Real files.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Hmmmm Real what ? Oh, that BLOATWARE software !!
    I like many others install the real alternative:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Hmmmm Real what ? Oh, that BLOATWARE software !!
    I like many others install the real alternative:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm
    I do at home (on my XP partition anyway - I'm a Mac man), but I need to deploy it over a server 2003/XP network

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123