+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Lexia Reading in Technical; Originally Posted by p-dave why repackage it? If its version 6 or 7 of the software, there is a msi ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    why repackage it?

If its version 6 or 7 of the software, there is a msi package you can download on their site
    why install 512 mb of software on a load of pcs (which will i imagine take a while to install at bootup) when it runs from a network drive with a few minor settings ?

Thank Post
    Works much faster, if the server is down that has that installed, no one can use lexia then. We just installed it onto our windows 7 image, dont have to worry our long it takes to install during bootup. I have installed all the software onto our image. When updates come along, i'll use deploy that through group policy. Then when I update and reimage the computers on the next time, I'll just take that off the group policy. Best way of deploying I reckon!

]]That way also when you reimage a pc, you dont have to wait ages for it to install all the managed software

Thank Post
    If the server is down they will be complaining of more than just Lexia being not available plus I'd have more to worry about than just Lexia! Anyway running from a server for us is not an issue speed on load etc as we only can have 5 concurrent users at any one time on Lexia. Did load it on some PC's for the trial but took a while on our network to download and we do not re-image all PC's that regularily (primary school). Worked OK and not that much quicker if any on loading up than from the server, anyway the issue was that our proxt to get the net was changed so that meant I had to go to each PC and edit/change the setting, from the server its only once. Lexia tech support do say it is reccomended from a local install but when pushed did admit that some schools do run it accross the network and they just warned to be aware that they would not help with problmes running over a network. The product being sold to schools should be designed to run over a network especially one that is required everywhere.

Thank Post
    if my server with lexia is down so's the network almost all my schools are single server sites.
    as to deploying i try and have nothing except windows in my images and msi / script everything that way i get less issues with removing software for updates etc but thats just my experience

TheLibrarian
    +1 for S.E.N. loving it here too.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tips on installing across LAN, and the comments as to why not to. Going to do one of each here this pm. will use Ranger to capture image. Have done this before on packages installed on network and it works great. Ranger can then install just minimum files, shortcuts and Reg changes needed. Will let you know how I get on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12