+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
Educational Software Thread, Which Anti-Virus Software? in Technical; Originally Posted by PcDude All I can see is that no one can agree around here. The best solution is ...
  1. #46

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,249
    Thank Post
    1,061
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Rep Power
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by PcDude View Post
    All I can see is that no one can agree around here. The best solution is as clear as mud. If someone had to choose an AV solution from the postings on here they might just shoot themselves for a short, pain free death.

    That article shows Sophos apologising for their mistake. To err is human to forgive is divine?
    Well with a questions such as this thread, is like asking whats better, PCs or MACS ? Everyone knows it's PCs but you will get some 'odd balls' stating that anything Apple related is good.....
    Of course you will get people's different answers as there are many many different products so no one will agree, it's not about everyone NOT agreeing, it's about people 'experiences with AV products and what they would purchase..... isn't it ?' I don't really care to tell you the truth as I have drank far too much this evening....

    As for the article, shocking.

  2. Thanks to mattx from:

    tech_guy (21st January 2009)

  3. #47

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,162
    Thank Post
    1,924
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    400
    Ahem, to change the subject slightly - for home use I use Kaspersky on my Windows XP and Vista machines and I have had no issues with it. Today I just picked up a 3 user version of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kaspersky-Internet-Security-3-Desktop-Subscription/dp/B001ANDJLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1232576556&sr=8-1"]Kaspersky 2009 from Amazon[/ame] for £17.36.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 21st January 2009 at 11:42 PM.

  4. #48
    contink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,791
    Thank Post
    303
    Thanked 327 Times in 233 Posts
    Rep Power
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by PcDude View Post
    All I can see is that no one can agree around here. The best solution is as clear as mud. If someone had to choose an AV solution from the postings on here they might just shoot themselves for a short, pain free death.
    LOL, opinions are like... erm.. "Elbows".. everyone has one, or even two... No, wait this analogy isn't working... but you get the idea..

    That article shows Sophos apologising for their mistake. To err is human to forgive is divine?
    Very human of them... It was only when someone in the education sales team realised what they were doing to their marketing campaign that the idiot legal team was sat on. It wasn't altruistic, of that I'm fairly sure... However this might seem like a Sophos bashing exercise so I'll expand on my reasons for eskewing Sophos.

    1. It is indeed more resource hungry than you might like.. Not to the extent it was but still, not lean and mean by any stretch.
    2. In the wireless environment I set up recently it was responsible for 1 in every 4 or 5 laptops locking up whenever an update was pushed out. In itself the key issue was the WLAN was losing packets but Sophos failed utterly to cope and in a classroom of 20 laptops with 4 freezing it killed lessons dead. Usually half of the freezers came back after about 4 or 5 minutes but the others needed a hard reboot.
    3. This same "freezing" issue is essentially repeated whenever Sophos goes for a major version update and unfortunately Sophos gives no warning or indication to the user as to what's happening, it again, just locks the user out. In ever instance of "freeze" the user then goes into "WTF mode" (ie: click, click, CLIIKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK WTF is wrong with this machine!) and then it locks up good and proper. User fault?... erm.. 10% if that IMHO.
    4. Central control of actual cleanup operations is just plain wrong. Sophos can be set to be pro-active and clean things up as it goes but this takes some doing. Instead what you usually get is a polite "warning" that a virus has tried to get in or has succeeded and Sophos has done naff all about it. By design maybe but not exactly intuitive and the process for removing any virus issues is so elongated (involving multiple scans, which again lock up the machine, etc..) as to make a re-image the only really time effective option.



    If I was given the choice of Sophos or nothing I'd take Sophos but when you offer me Avast (which I'm familiar with), a central command system that makes sense, albeit with a learning curve and then tell me it'll cost about £200 a year more for 80 machines and 3 servers (@ 3 year subscription, educational rate) then I'm going to tell Sophos to jump in the lake because the cost in tech time on site and teacher frustration is just not worth the £100 a year price tag.


    There now... biased? Not really... I think of it as experienced in ways I'd rather not be. Nuff said, time for my meds and bed :P
    Last edited by contink; 21st January 2009 at 11:32 PM.

  5. #49

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    56
    Thank Post
    33
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Well all I can say is thankfully I have had none of these issues that are mentioned with Sophos and although I persoanlly wouldn't choose it, I have no complaints from using it.

  6. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    64
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    I would not recommend Symantec SAV 10.17. We have had a ton of issues with:

    1. Clients stop communicating/update dat files with the Server.
    2. Client corruption
    3. Clients not upgrading properly from Ver 9
    4. Server mis-reporting AV updates and version.


    That along with issues with NoNav not always working the way it should.

  7. #51
    tosh74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    136
    Thank Post
    27
    Thanked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    AV-Comparatives
    start here and make up your own mind.

  8. Thanks to tosh74 from:

    OverWorked (31st January 2009)

  9. #52
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,031
    Thank Post
    202
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    I've used Sophos on our school network for several years now and have mixed opinions about it.

    In the central management console, loads of machines are reporting Sophos AV errors, but it's difficult to do anything about it without going to the machine and manually reinstalling Sophos.

    Last year we had a serious virus infection running on a staff laptop and a server. Sophos detected it, but did nothing about it, causing me to stay behind for hour one evening to perform an off line Sophos AV scan to clean the server.

    When disinfecting home systems, several time I've seen the free AVG find viruses Sophos has missed. (This was a few years ago, though).

    I found this thread because I'm looking for a decent AV for a charity I support. Theres no consensus on a good enterprise AV solution.

    I'm using Eset Smart Security at home, it's OK, but can't get it to play properly with home networking (have to restart it to allow ICS, and it's blocking iTunes sharing on a friend's network, despite being told not to).

    I've given up on F-Secure and Zone Alarm at home for poor performance (typically taking 5 mins. for the PC to be usable after booting).

    There seems to be more comments in favour of NOD32, so I'll look into that. Does it have a central management console?

  10. #53

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    10,074
    Thank Post
    1,384
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    614
    Just as another slightly OT question in here... A few people have talked about products being resource intensive on downloading updates or scanning as said why this causes a problem during exams / lessons. Perhaps someone could explain why it it is being done during the day and not when people aren't using the machines. I use kaspersky at homes and schedule it foe out of hours. This seems like common sense to me.

    Resource intensive when doing on access scans is a different problem that a few products do suffer and should be explained differently.

  11. #54

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,518
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Our LA used to use Sophos - I can't say I ever had huge problems with it except it let through the odd thing which wasn't great
    Now we use NOD32 and have had no issues with it at all

  12. #55
    KarlGoddard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire
    Posts
    272
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    another sophos user here..

    mixed feelings at the moment. yep it's easy to setup Enterprise Manager and deploy sophos out to clients (syncs with AD so it basically does it itself)

    Never had any probs with it removing any nasties etc seems to do its job

    but... I get so many errors about clients being out of date or the av on the client being 'inactive' when I can dial into one of the PCs that are showing as errors and find there's nothing wrong. I can scan (and detect dummy virus files) and I can manually pull down updates.

    I also have about 20 clients - different models of pc in different parts of school that won't auto update each morning. I have to select > right click > update. No idea what's going on. Emails sent to Sophos don't even warrant a reply. Sophos are useless with support in my experience.

    It also does spank the CPU. Never had a 100% cpu since the old 'intercheck' sophos days but it regularly does hit 45%-50% cpu. Updates are scheduled for each morning and a client scan is performed at lunchtime.

    One last rant about sophos... the error codes / knowledge base articles are a pile of cack. Some of the error codes I've had don't even have an entry on the sophos KB

    It's now got to the stage where if I cant reinstall sophos back onto a client within 15 mins I just reimage the client and redploy. I can't be arsed to piss about with Sophos any more.

    If I could look into using another AV I would but we're tied to it as its LA provided.

    btw the stand alone version of Sophos is v good in my experience. I use it at home and I install it on 'home use' laptops fro staff - no issues with it all

  13. Thanks to KarlGoddard from:

    conehead (31st January 2009)

  14. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cape Wrath
    Posts
    32
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by kgcs View Post
    btw the stand alone version of Sophos is v good in my experience. I use it at home and I install it on 'home use' laptops fro staff - no issues with it all
    So a network of standalone computers it is then.

    I feel I know how Sophos works so I know how to work with it. I also know how I would like Sophos to work; how it could be better. However it currently is what it is (a strong player in computer security) and, I feel, it's getting better all the time - the HIPs protection really helps with Conficker.

    I get the sense that because the LEA buys a lot of Sophos licences and hands them out to lots of schools quite a few comments here are from members who feel trapped and therefore resentful. And if Sophos offer a good price, a competitive price, it's seen as cheap and nasty.

    To all I ask...

    Are you making sure you're planning deployments and pro-actively calling their support to get advice? Do you have a test environment that mirrors (blemish for blemish) your production environment? Have you read all the .pdf files for all the products they run? Have you considered asking Sophos to visit your site for consultancy and best practice?
    Sophos case study - Hamilton College
    Sophos Professional Services - maximizing your return on investment
    Have you seen the whitepapers available on Sophos' website https://secure.sophos.com/security/w...ers/index.html Have you all subscribed to their email notifications Sophos email notification

    I'm sure I'm in for some hot replies. Please believe me it's not my intention to provoke people. Instead just lean back from the keyboard for one minute (go on, do it) and think about the last time you truly planned, tested, refined, tested, refined, sort approval from Sophos and then deployed in a phased rollout - monitoring as you go. If any abnormal effects are then seen you can pause and review.

    Honestly - don't hate me! It's just nice to debate. Isn't it...?

  15. Thanks to PcDude from:

    OverWorked (1st February 2009)

  16. #57

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hull, UK
    Posts
    256
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just got rid of sophos in favour of CA eTrust as our LA provides it for free to us, or we'd have had to buy a new license for sophos this year.

    Sophos is very resource heavy, and can be very unhelpful when it tells you 'yes, you are infected, no, i didn't stop it or remove it for you'.

    A Bit like CA eTrust then with Spyware lol We have it and i hate it, biggest load of crap i ever bought! Just had a technology guy ring me saying his machine is riddled with Spyware and CA didnt even detect it. Hes not a normal user either, quite experienced and very security concious. the management side of CA is over complicated and the deployment tool is very basic, no tracking of which machines have it installed and which ones dont except for a list you maintain yourself

  17. #58
    KarlGoddard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bolton, Lancashire
    Posts
    272
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by PcDude View Post
    So a network of standalone computers it is then.

    I feel I know how Sophos works so I know how to work with it. I also know how I would like Sophos to work; how it could be better. However it currently is what it is (a strong player in computer security) and, I feel, it's getting better all the time - the HIPs protection really helps with Conficker.

    I get the sense that because the LEA buys a lot of Sophos licences and hands them out to lots of schools quite a few comments here are from members who feel trapped and therefore resentful. And if Sophos offer a good price, a competitive price, it's seen as cheap and nasty.

    To all I ask...

    Are you making sure you're planning deployments and pro-actively calling their support to get advice? Do you have a test environment that mirrors (blemish for blemish) your production environment? Have you read all the .pdf files for all the products they run? Have you considered asking Sophos to visit your site for consultancy and best practice?
    Sophos case study - Hamilton College
    Sophos Professional Services - maximizing your return on investment
    Have you seen the whitepapers available on Sophos' website https://secure.sophos.com/security/w...ers/index.html Have you all subscribed to their email notifications Sophos email notification

    I'm sure I'm in for some hot replies. Please believe me it's not my intention to provoke people. Instead just lean back from the keyboard for one minute (go on, do it) and think about the last time you truly planned, tested, refined, tested, refined, sort approval from Sophos and then deployed in a phased rollout - monitoring as you go. If any abnormal effects are then seen you can pause and review.

    Honestly - don't hate me! It's just nice to debate. Isn't it...?
    nope, having used it for years I have to say its cack for the reasons mentioned above....

    we can pause, review a 'blemish', scratch our heads, consult the sophos KB only to be prompted with 'error code not found', or some bollocks about a deployment timing out because of a slow network connection even though its being piped over a gig switch.

    perhaps sophos is optimised for deployment on a large hadron collider

    how can any software vendor code into their software error codes and then can't be arsed to have any reference to them on their KB?

    I have to say sophos KB is as about as useful as capita supportnet ...

    other than that sophos is wonderful

  18. #59
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,505
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 508 Times in 445 Posts
    Rep Power
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Just as another slightly OT question in here... A few people have talked about products being resource intensive on downloading updates or scanning as said why this causes a problem during exams / lessons. Perhaps someone could explain why it it is being done during the day and not when people aren't using the machines. I use kaspersky at homes and schedule it foe out of hours. This seems like common sense to me.

    Resource intensive when doing on access scans is a different problem that a few products do suffer and should be explained differently.
    My machines update signatures every hour, and do a full scan once a week (out of hours, and if turned on).

    Signatures really do need updating several times a day now, in the old days it was once a month!

    24 hours really is a long time in security terms though!
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 31st January 2009 at 11:52 PM.

  19. #60

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,249
    Thank Post
    1,061
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Rep Power
    741
    Navaho have just dropped Sophos because of their licensing conditions, any school who use Navaho now have Clam AV on the box.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anti Virus software
    By everton4europe in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th January 2008, 03:23 PM
  2. Free? Anti-Virus Software
    By TSCNUK in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th November 2006, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 14th August 2006, 09:38 PM
  4. Anti-Virus Software
    By Mango_RW in forum Windows
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 22nd June 2005, 12:11 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •