+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Silent Install Abacus Evolve Teaching Resources in Technical; Hi I am having a real problem, we are trying to do a silent install of a setup.exe. We have ...
    Thank Post

Silent Install Abacus Evolve Teaching Resources

Hi I am having a real problem, we are trying to do a silent install of a setup.exe. We have made a setup.iss in the shared folder. But when we run the command line for the silent install which goes something like "\\servername\AEIPFERes\Client Install.exe" /s the exe file opens an msi file which runs silently, but immediatly opens up another msi file which is not run silently and needs to be done manually. I cant run them as seperate installs they are part of the same package.

Does anyone have any tips?

Thank Post
    What part of Abacus evolve are you trying to install? If it is just the client side then you will need to make Easiteach install before the Abacus software does - it has to be the Easiteach included with Abacus - you might be able to do this as a silent install, I don't know.

If you are doing a full install on all of the computers, I don't think that you can do it as it installs an SQL server instance.

Thank Post
    I just did this a few days ago....

Right.

The Client Install.exe is useless. Despite using a /v switch it won't pass commands to the Easiteach MSI.

Here's some steps for you:

1) Install the Client using the Client Install.exe. When complete, grab the file file "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Research Machines\Easiteach Studio\lite_ctp.dat". This is the license file for Easiteach.

2) Set up AD deployment or SMS or however you want to do it of the "Easiteach.msi" found in the "Easiteach" folder at the same location as "Client Install.exe", making sure to add a -qb or /quiet switch as per usual.

3) Set up deployment by script or create an MSI, whichever you would prefer, that will copy "lite_ctp.dat" from wherever you saved it to "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Research Machines\Easiteach Studio\"

4) Create shortcuts to all the ITR data main menus. They are found within your AE Resources folder in the relevant years, inside the "ITR" Folder. They are very obviously named. On a machine which now has Easiteach installed, file associations are already set up for these files, so a user can just run that file. It will link through to the rest of the ITR data.

If you want to have the ITR data on the local machine rather than the network for the sake of bandwidth, create an MSI or script which simply contains the contents of the year folders within AE Resources, and make sure that your Main Menu shortcuts are correct.

Hope this helps

4. Thanks to Ramsel from:

dhicks (1st October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread