+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, VIGLEN Classlink in Technical; Hi Jack ... Welcome and don't worry about being treated gently ... erm ... that came out wrong. Pop over ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: VIGLEN Classlink

Hi Jack ...

Welcome and don't worry about being treated gently ... erm ... that came out wrong.

Pop over to here and introdce yourself.

As for Viglen ... they are not the only company to do this, but there are ways you can get around it. Get them to send details via fax to the number they have on records, or send them a fax on the school letter-headed paper to release the information to you (signed by the bursar / business manager works best ... along with the threat that this is a removal of service and you won't pay up in future ..._

As Simon has expressed already ... documentation? You expected some when you took over?

Seriously though, you are not the first and won't be the last to have issues with lack of documentation. There are a number of problems with it ...

When do we get time to do it? When do we get time to update it? Is any of it actually needed? Can we get by without it?

Personally ... I don't do all the documentation that I should, but do more than was done before ...

If nothing else get put on your PM stuff that you want to ensure that services and resources are properly documented.

Thank Post

It's not so much documentation in general, its just this one page with the passwords & service codes on it.

And yes.. DOCUMENTATION!!! At my last school, i ran a tight ship - and it seemed to work - The school i'm at now is a good school, it really is - just the technical support is lousy.

Just give you a quick example of this - All the staff at my new school have Fijitsu Siemens Amillo laptops - which is kind of unfortunate but then again, i wasn't there. So anyway, it was my second day in the job (which was a Saturday) and i went in to get some stuff sorted. And on this ISS on our 2K3 Server (named "Bernard") was a ticket service - with 420 tickets undealt with from about 2 weeks ago. And the best thing is, they're all basic problems, you could do them using image cast & the server diagnostoc thing.

So i had the great idea of duplicating my last school, which is actually making it good. To do this, i want to put on the classlink service packs etc... and viglen won't give me them.

And if thats not the straw that broke the camel's back, i don't know what is.

Thank Post

Hi there!
    I am also having pains with Classlink XP and I'm looking to do away with it this summer. I have 3 questions however;

1. Can Classlink be removed without doing a complete format and installation of the Server OS?

2. Is there anyway to replicate the bottom right hand corner of the classlink desktop (getting the username dislayed) using Active Desktop?

3. In the mean time, can I change the classlink background to anything other than a block of colour?

Kind Regards,

Dan

Thank Post

I'm binning classlink this summer also. Replacing it with a vanilla network with Ranger on top.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12