+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Sparklebox File Sizes in Technical; I have just downloaded the toolbar now my internet wont....hehe Seriously though I was wanting to know if anyone had ...

Thank Post

Sparklebox File Sizes

I have just downloaded the toolbar now my internet wont....hehe

Seriously though I was wanting to know if anyone had come up of ways to deal with the massive file sizes that are possible to print from this site. I have had print jobs sent of up to 1.5Gb!

I have informed staff where possible, but i work between several schools and so when i am not there - well you know the story!

Currently printers are either locally installed (and these print jobs eat the virtual memory) and some have a networked printer for the site.

Any input here would be appreciated

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopert View Post
    Seriously though I was wanting to know if anyone had come up of ways to deal with the massive file sizes that are possible to print from this site. I have had print jobs sent of up to 1.5Gb!
    Currently printers are either locally installed (and these print jobs eat the virtual memory) and some have a networked printer for the site.
    I have been advising that the files be saved locally, then when they have a spare half hour they will be able to print them. Also to select the pages they want printing rather than the whole job lot at once. If not then the machine stalls, the print job does (eventually) go through, but the process prevents the user from doing anything else.

Unfortunately haven't found a way yet of splitting the file into smaller chunks, other than one page at a time.

Thank Post

Sparklebox printing takes far too long

Hi

We have exactly the same issue - teachers and TLAs send multiple pages to print and each one takes upto 15 minutes to print.

Anyone found a solution to this issue?

I don't want to block Sparklebox but may have to if there is no solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenew View Post
    I don't want to block Sparklebox but may have to if there is no solution.
    I would block it.

Purely based on this.

A lot of LEAs don't allow it's use anymore. [Ours don't.] We use twinkl instead.

5. 2 Thanks to X-13:

Oaktech (17th January 2013), synaesthesia (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    lots of print management solutions allow you to block prints over a certain number of pages, it's what we used to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just block it, see above.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice so far received.

I have two different issues

1 - the teachers are used to using the wealth of resources available from the site, and until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt.
    2 - the file size issue still persists - I am hoping to find a solution that will allow the resources to print (and thus keep the teaching staff happy) without tying up printing capacity for 15 minutes per page which is a constant source of irritation (putting it mildly) to the other staff members who have to wait for prints to emerge from the printer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 - the teachers are used to using the wealth of resources available from the site, and until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt.
    Safeguarding/Child protection.

End of.

Also, as far as I know he's still listed as the owner. Which means he's getting money from the ads on the site.

Staff revolt or no staff revolt. When you tell them they're funding a known pedophile, they'll soon go quiet. [I actually had to do that to a couple of members of staff here.]
    Last edited by X-13; 17th January 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    I was going to say, that argument is arse about face. You block until you can confirm to safeguard the children, not keep it open and allow harm to potentially happen while it is discussed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blunt time. You are risking too much. If there is a question BLOCK FIRSTand ask later.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 17th January 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Um, SB is a site that every RBC in the country is blocking (with support from CEOP). Why wouldn't you block it?

YHGfL statement:
    1.The site is operating illegally in that the company operating the site has no registration with the Data Protection Registrar
    2. The site signposts users to an un-trusted social networking site
    3. The site offers the download of a toolbox with an unknown ‘payload’ – for example, the download could be collecting browsing history or initiate an internal attack on school systems immediately, or at some unknown future time.
    CEOP statement
    CEOP are also aware that a number of RBC’s and Local Authorities have blocked sparklebox.co.uk until they are satisfied that suitable safeguarding arrangements are in place. CEOP supports this stance and would recommend that any schools who choose to overrule their central filtering lists give due consideration to a website specific school risk analysis and risk management plan.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I would block it.

Purely based on this.

A lot of LEAs don't allow it's use anymore. [Ours don't.] We use twinkl instead.
    Aye, but be careful with the ads .. for instance, the 'Meet Pretty Thai Girl' one that came up when I just had a look having never come across Twinkl before.

Twinkl-MeetPrettyThaiGirl.jpg
    Last edited by soveryapt; 17th January 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Aye, but be careful with the ads .. for instance, the 'Meet Pretty Thai Girl' one that came up when I just had a look having never come across Twinkl before.
    must be google tracking, stop searching for pretty thai girls

15. 2 Thanks to Domino:

LosOjos (17th January 2013), soveryapt (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    until we can investigate if the individual concerned is now connected with the site and make an informed management decision, instigating a block without sound, current justification would result in a staff revolt.
    He is. Go to this site Company Check - Free company financial check on SPARKLEBOX TEACHER RESOURCES LIMITED. Registered number 06164228. Free company accounts. Companies House information and click on people. He is still listed as a Company Director.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    Thanks for the advice so far received.

I have two different issues

2 - the file size issue still persists - I am hoping to find a solution that will allow the resources to print (and thus keep the teaching staff happy) without tying up printing capacity for 15 minutes per page which is a constant source of irritation (putting it mildly) to the other staff members who have to wait for prints to emerge from the printer.
    This needs to be batted straight up to your SLt/Designated CPO.

Use of Sparklebox is banned/actively discouraged in virtually every school in the country... follow that link!

To stop large prints clogging up your printer, be they from photos or sparklebox, you need print management software such as papercuut which will force them to print smaller files and only what they need.

BUT, you can only implement such software with 100% support from the top. usually the size of the toner bill is enough for the HT decide that they'll give you their backing... especially after you produce the first list of shame showing who is printing how much and what it's costing the school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast