+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, eyeProfile software in Technical; Does anyone have knowledge of eyeProfile software as I have been asked to install it on the schools network. eyeProfile...
    Thank Post

eyeProfile software

Does anyone have knowledge of eyeProfile software as I have been asked to install it on the schools network.

eyeProfile

Thank Post
    Harmless enough software (also known as e-profile). Used by Foundation stage staff to record and assess pupils. Only little niggle is the upgrades which demand a complete uninstall and reinstall.

The program is best set up using a shared folder on the server in which end of session backups are made.

One other thing to note, that staff often use it at home and so it is essential their version matches the network version, otherwise chaos can occur when trying to restore or apend their work.

The current Version is V3, but see the link below to details on v2.5 which will give you a good overview of the software functions.

http://clg.coventry.gov.uk/ccm/cms-s...et_id=16555082

3. Thanks to covgeek from:

Jobos (3rd October 2008)

Thank Post
    Yes, I have installed the s/w onto a teacher's laptop and used it 2 year running. It is straight forward. The tricky bit is extracting the ctf data from SIMS. If you do run a report in SIMS to produce a ctf file make sure the ethnic group is filled in. I say this because at this stage of the term, this section awaiting completion and you may find the output only has half the class. If you need a more detail answer please let me know and I will provide a step by step guide. Have a go, you will probably find it easier than you think

5. Thanks to firefighting from:

Jobos (3rd October 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info so far but now I have a couple of more questions.

Is there a msi to install this software via gp?

Is it possible to install this software on a number of machines and share the database?

Thank Post
    not sure why you want to install on the network as it is only reception teacher that will enter the data after assessment on the child. I suppose the only reason could be remote access for data input. However, having spoken to our (Kent) Early Years adviser, they would only recommend SIMS data is exported on a memory stick to the laptop with application then when after the data is completed the reverse is done back to SIMS and Assessment Manager does it's thing. It does seem bizar. So the answer is, no msi.

Thank Post
    The Software doesn't have an MSi, but as firefighting's reply you don't really need it on more that half a dozen machines. in answer to the database question, yes you can.

Install the software on the server, give permissions on the install folder to those users required, then on the client PC's create a shortcut back to the server. it works fine for me.

Thank Post
    I’ve just finished looking at this software and it appears that it expects to open the database from the All Users\Application Data folder which is restricted for writing unless you’re a administrator. Is there anyway to change where the database is saved to so I don’t have to change the folder permissions?

Thank Post
    With versions 2.5 and 2.6 you could install it on a shared drive and point shortcuts to the drive, and that was it.

Version 3.0 doesn't seem to support this idea!

However I install it it sticks the database in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\fsp !

So on the server I imported all the names etc, and when the workstations access eyfsp.exe they think there is no data!

So if you need to run it on several PCs (ie reception classes and the office!) it is not possible!

I have tried installing it to:

\\server\eyeprofile and pointing the shortcut to:
    \\server\eyeprofile\FSP\Version3\eyfsp.exe

and

d:\staff_shared\eyeprofile (on the server) and pointing the shortcut to:
    t:\eyeprofile\FSP\Version3\eyfsp.exe (mapped drive) and even tried pointing the shortuct to \\server\d$\staff_shared\eyeprofile etc.

I have also tried telling it to start in \\server01\fsp - which is the FSP app data folder under All Users on the server.

Or maybe there is something I missed out?

Edit:

Found this in the E-profile manual:

The eyeProfile cannot be supported on network machines due to their complexity and variety. It
    will probably work on a well organised network in single-user mode only and with the support of an
    ICT technician. Ideally to the eyeProfile should be used on a standalone machine.
    Last edited by danielson81; 15th October 2008 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    I've had the "pleasure" of this software in the last couple of weeks and after a long chat with the KS1 department head the feedback I got about it was this:

1. Forget networking it as the system doesn't handle differential data at all.. merging, etc... from an offline profile is a no go and causes (as mentioned above) chaos.

2. Much better to install locally and get teachers to input the necessary information locally and then a designated co-ordinator collects all the individual data from the other staff using it to compile and maintain the final report.

3. It's good at what it does but technically it's before Noahs time and yes I mean the guy with the big floating zoo...

The more I look at this stuff the more I'm convinced there's a market out there for properly written assessment and recording software.

Thank Post
    The very same conclusion at my school.

The point of assessment s/w is a good one. My HT keeps suggestion I produce something but I don't have the time to roll it out. Anyone out there got some anything close?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    I've had the "pleasure" of this software in the last couple of weeks and after a long chat with the KS1 department head the feedback I got about it was this:

1. Forget networking it as the system doesn't handle differential data at all.. merging, etc... from an offline profile is a no go and causes (as mentioned above) chaos.

2. Much better to install locally and get teachers to input the necessary information locally and then a designated co-ordinator collects all the individual data from the other staff using it to compile and maintain the final report.

3. It's good at what it does but technically it's before Noahs time and yes I mean the guy with the big floating zoo...

The more I look at this stuff the more I'm convinced there's a market out there for properly written assessment and recording software.

I agree about the networking side but it would be nice to be able to have the option to install in a different location. If it could go into the user area then our roaming profiles would allow us to ensure that data is backed up, and that the specific data could move with the teacher onto different machines The fact that is goes to the all users means that we will need to ensure that the data is copied to the network for backup processes.

Thank Post
    I get my foundation stage teachers to run it of memory sticks.

I wrote some Kixtart script that copies the DB to the appdata folder locally and then back to the memory stick (and the network for backup) after eprofile has quit. It's a pain but it was a requirement that they can use eProfile on any computer (they all have there own laptops but nooooo...) in the school and at home!

They just need to be carful with data encryption

Thank Post
    Like others, I gave up trying to network this due to its insistence on installing to the local disk - WHY!?!?!

Instead, the Kindergarten/Pre-School/Nursery1 teacher has a local install of their class' details and the Reception teacher has a local install of their class - I have given the shortcuts to a batch file which copies the data up to the server for backup purposes.

To those of you whose staff are using this at home, I would advise extreme caution regarding data encryption/DPA compliance...

Thank Post
    Previously I have always done a server/network install of this for the sake of keeping one database and ensuring a backup gets done. The 2.5 version should be OK for using for this year as it has options for 2009 and 2010 intakes, unless there are some new must have levels/features on 3?

I too tried to install V3 on a server and share it with no luck, I like the idea of running a batch file to backup to a network location though, if 3 does indeed have some "must have" element now. Very silly of Suffolk to break what was a good feature iof V2.5 in the network and share option.

V3 does have a nifty inport and export from pen drive option for working on the data on another machine, but it is worryingly high level info (L3 at least)to be rattling around an unencrypted pen drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Previously I have always done a server/network install of this for the sake of keeping one database and ensuring a backup gets done. The 2.5 version should be OK for using for this year as it has options for 2009 and 2010 intakes, unless there are some new must have levels/features on 3?

I too tried to install V3 on a server and share it with no luck, I like the idea of running a batch file to backup to a network location though, if 3 does indeed have some "must have" element now. Very silly of Suffolk to break what was a good feature iof V2.5 in the network and share option.

V3 does have a nifty inport and export from pen drive option for working on the data on another machine, but it is worryingly high level info (L3 at least)to be rattling around an unencrypted pen drive.
    I've been told they need to use version 3, don't know why it doesn't really look any different...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast