+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, eyeProfile software in Technical; I just install this on specific Foundation teacher laptops as has been said before as that is all that is ...
    Thank Post
    I just install this on specific Foundation teacher laptops as has been said before as that is all that is really needed. Been through the network issue before na dsame as others just gave up as its not worth the end hassle. If importing the data from Sims via CTF on all I have done so far even though the data looks to have been imported it has missed the post codes which may not seem like much but it will stop the end of yera assessments being uploaded as it will report and error (as I found out last year!) To get around this import the data via a csv file from Sims, and all the data gets imported OK.

2. Thanks to TechSupp from:

conehead (7th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the postcode tip, I usually do a ctf creation, so I will check carefully whats actually gone across now, I remember problems with piping the info back up last year because of missing data, but I think it was because some other data put in manually mis-matched the SIMS info.

Thank Post
    Looks like they have picked up on the postcode error as there is now an updated version ready for download (dated Oct 30th). Don't know why though but the instructions I was supplied with said to not select the option to create a desktop icon? Always worked in the past. Wonder how the post code error slipped though testing though?

Thank Post
    I know of plenty of schools where much of the data entry has been done already on Version V2.5 or even earlier, sometimes installed on a network location, for backup and multi user/location reasons.

eyeProfile

There is a lot of updated info now on this page for EyeProfile, including a utility for extracting data from 2.X and feeding it into 3.0, and some more technical instructions for the software.

Thanks for the info Kev
    Last edited by conehead; 10th December 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

You all seem to know quite abit about EyeProfile, I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem producing reports in Word? When we try to produce reports in Word on the laptop it says OLE Error. I understand this might be a problem with Word not EyeProfile? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thank Post
    We're back to this POS software again here and I've hit an issue with exporting to word...

It basically hangs the machine and causes Word to act very strangely... process is there, seems to be trying to do things but memory never changes.

Net result the machine sits there for hours and doesn't complete the export...

Any ideas.

Thank Post
    Right... just completed a copy paste of the FSP data from the ALL USERS application data folder to a different computer and lo' after 5 minutes of chugging away the report was produced in Word format.

This a decent specification machine too...

The word here is WTF!

Thank Post

V3.1 Access Violation

The error is reported as being another piece of hardware etc using the same memory space. Has anyone come across this and what was the probable cause, type of printer etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JockMo View Post
    The error is reported as being another piece of hardware etc using the same memory space. Has anyone come across this and what was the probable cause, type of printer etc.
    I haven't come across this particular problem myself, but know it is mentioned in the EyeProfile pdf support file that should have been installed at the same time as the software. Our software is installed on the other site at our school, so I can't pull it up and find it for you know, but it should be there.

It is a known issue, and I seem to remember that the software support people word it as being the fault of the hardware, not of EyeProfile!

Here's the excerpt from the manual, just found it online at http://schoolsportal.suffolkcc.gov.u...serGuideV3.pdf - page 30

"I keep getting an “Access Violation” error
    Another piece of software is trying to use the memory space on the computer that has already been
    allocated by Windows to eyeProfile. This is not the fault of eyeProfile. It is the fault of the offending
    software. Unfortunately, the error message doesn’t tell you which software is causing the problem, but
    experience suggests that it is likely to be a badly-written printer or other device driver. If the problem
    occurred after you installed some new device to work with the computer then it may well be that this is
    to blame. Uninstall and remove it and see whether eyeProfile works correctly after that."
    Last edited by kaphc; 9th December 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Thank Post

Dave Morris

Found the cause of the error. It was the change in the number of characters in the password. We have schools that are using passwords of 9 characters the access violation error was because of this. If you have passwords of equal to 8 characters or less you can access okay. To get in with over 8 characters type in the first 8 characters only i.e. reception = receptio. The vendor will mention the password size in future instructions.

Thank Post
    Did anyone manage to get this running in a network environment?

6. Using eProfile on a network
    Specifying another folder for a user's work - network managers only.

You should not connect two different users to the same physical work folder unless you can guarantee
    that only one person at a time can access the data. This would be an insecure way to work.
    eProfile software is installed by default to the folder C:\program files\FSP\Version3.

Windows Vista does not allow data files created by the software to be lodged in the same folder as the
    software. This makes sense when managing and maintaining machines. eProfile V3 uses Windows' standard data folder conventions. Unfortunately these differ between versions of Windows:

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FSP\Version3
    Vista - C:\ProgramData\FSP\Version3

This is the folder referred to internally by Windows as CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA. Because it is an
    all users folder you will find that different users of eProfile will be looking at the same data file on the
    same computer and a single user on a network would need to use the same station each time. This
    may be fine if the software is installed on a dedicated laptop that can work independently of a network.

It may be that you would prefer to nominate a specific network folder so that, for instance, the user can log on to any network machine and find the software, or you wish to keep data secure on the network.

If you need to change the folder then you can make this happen by creating a simple text file in
    Notepad or similar and type in the preferred work folder, e.g. S:\USER22\FSP DATA (no final slash in
    the folder name). Save this file in the default work folder (see table above) with the name
    DataFolder.txt. Make sure that:

• you have set permissions on the folder to allow for creating and updating of data files
    • subfolder creation is also permitted so that backups can be made.

If you wish to specify a folder that relates specifically to a network user, irrespective of which station is being used, then the user's Windows roaming data folder may be the answer. This will be useful if ease of access is a desirable. Enter roaming in the text file instead, and this will instruct eProfile to look in the user's roaming folders (referred to internally by Windows as CSIDL_APPDATA):

XP C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\FSP\Version3
    Vista - C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\FSP\Version3

In the table above %USERNAME% would be replaced by the user's login name.
    You should move all data files currently in the default folder to the new folder so that the user can carry on from where s/he left off.
    Can all be found here

I have it working at a couple of schools and no problems so far.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    There is a lot of updated info now on this page for EyeProfile, including a utility for extracting data from 2.X and feeding it into 3.0, and some more technical instructions for the software.
    This utility sounds like what i'm needing, but it doesn't appear on the suffolk portal anymore.
    Does anyone have this utility now?

Thank Post

Exclamation

I am new to the IT sector, started about 2 months ago,
    Might be old news but
    I got a memo from Education Bradford with instructions on how to install the new version of EProfile (according to the suffolk website eyeProfile is now eProfile)..

To quote from this document given to me:

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Please upgrade all PCs that are using eProfile

Release 5 of the eProfile programme (v3.1) in now available on the Suffolk local authority website a www.suffolkcpd.co.uk/fsp

This new release has been prompted by the cancellation of the proposed changes to the CTF file format, there may therefore be incompatibility between eProfile and other software within your local authority when you attempt to export data.

Note form Suffolk CC website
    Revised common transfer file specifications for the EYFSP were rolled ack after eProfile was published last September. If you are not using release 5 (March 2010) you may encounter problems when importing a CTF created from eProfile to you MIS. The eProfile download acailable on this page is the latest release. Release 5 can be installed over an earlier release of version 3,1 with out affecting your work.

What’s new in version 3.1

* Restore the name: eProfile. This may cause users to see an extra icon on the desktop once the software has been installed – both icons will connect, but you may wish to remove one.
    * Assessments cover the final year of EYFSP only, but are now recorded by month rather than by half-tem. Any work you have saved using version 3 will be updated once you install version 3.1
    * Some graphs and printouts have been removed. Others have been improved.
    * Support for Network use has been included. See the technical notes in the guidance document.

Update Log:
    LA support

I have been told that we need this from our LEA. you guys might be different..

I ahve alot of work to do to get all the laptops done before we break up...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12