+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Adobe CS3 Web Standard Licensing Prob in Technical; Originally Posted by dhicks 20 machines all working on my nice, shiny new reimaging system - I simply log on ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    20 machines all working on my nice, shiny new reimaging system - I simply log on as the "reimage" user and wait for around 10 minutes. <smug>.

Trusty assistant now coming in every Wednesday afternoon to help put rest of school machines on nice, shiny new reimaging system. <evenSmugger>.

--
    David Hicks
    *GIT*

Thank Post
    Pants!

This is not looking good

After running a battery of tests on a stand alone unit, adding bits of software one at a time, it was all looking good... until joining it to the domain.

At first, thought it might be a software conflict, so I rolled it back to the previous one which appeared to be OK, but every time I join it to the domain it just doesn't work! *ARGH*

Created a new OU with no policies and a brand new user. Same problem.

Looks like one of two possibilities:

1)Something in the default domain policy.
    2)Something to do with a network issue we've had since reinstalling from backup due to a primary DC failure.

I could be screwed if it's #1! I'm definitely screwed if it's #2!!!

Anybody got any advise, short of chucking myself out of the window???

*not happy*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busybub View Post
    Created a new OU with no policies and a brand new user. Same problem.
    We still haven't really sorted out our domain controller (it's a long story...), so we're just using the basic default OU supplied with Server 2008, if that's any help. Seems to work fine. Did just have a look at one of the front office PCs this morning - reimaged it on Friday and ran the CS3 installer. Seemed to complete fine, but this morning I noticed Photoshop doesn't seem to be installed. Everything else seems okay, just not Photoshop. Seems as though the installer simply skips bits it doesn't like the look of.

To add insult to injury, I just got the latest issue of PC Pro through the door, with at least half a dozen pages dedicated to a review of the whole of CS4 - article starts off pointing out that this looks like " a substantial upgrade"...

Anybody got any advise, short of chucking myself out of the window???
    Quit. Dump her. Go fishing.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    ...Seemed to complete fine, but this morning I noticed Photoshop doesn't seem to be installed. Everything else seems okay, just not Photoshop. Seems as though the installer simply skips bits it doesn't like the look of.
    I've noticed it occasionally doing something odd too. Once, it never installed any of the web components.

To add insult to injury, I just got the latest issue of PC Pro through the door, with at least half a dozen pages dedicated to a review of the whole of CS4 - article starts off pointing out that this looks like " a substantial upgrade"...
    Bloody typical innit??? *grumble grumble*

Quit. Dump her. Go fishing.
    Ordinarily I might feel the urge to come up with some witty retort, but right now I just really feel like smacking something! *GRRRR*

Anyhoo... methinks I may have cracked it:

Looks like users need Bypass Traverse Checking enabled.

Seems to be working on all of my computers now, hopefully it will stay that way or I'm going to scream! Still getting exit code 7 when following the official instructions though, so something else is amiss, but at least I can start getting these out now.

5. Thanks to Busybub from:

dhicks (13th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busybub View Post
    I've noticed it occasionally doing something odd too. Once, it never installed any of the web components.
    What, you mean the CS3 installer might install components or it might not? You reckon if I give the install another go on that same machine it might work next time?

Looks like users need Bypass Traverse Checking enabled.
    Ah ha! Thanks, that might come in handy to know.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    What, you mean the CS3 installer might install components or it might not? You reckon if I give the install another go on that same machine it might work next time?
    Seems to have a mind of it's own. There are obviously some things it doesn't like about certain computers, even ones that were built from the same image, though admittedly the ones I was initially trying it on were built last year. Tried to reinstall the web components on one and got nowhere. Had Exit Code 4 on another computer, tried again and it worked. Then there was the Exit Code 6 which never showed up again... no useful info in the computer logs or generated by the program.

I've wasted so much time troubleshooting (not helped by cryptic error codes and useless technical support who seem to know less than the people posting on the Adobe forums) that it seems the only productive and relatively safe way of doing it is from a completely clean build.

Ah ha! Thanks, that might come in handy to know.

--
    David Hicks
    That said, if that particular policy has never been modified and is still on Not Configured, you may not have a problem. Looks like it was changed by my predecessor here (many years ago) who specified administrators only... I tend not to touch the default domain policy, this is a good reason why!

According to MS:

Bypass Traverse Checking "Determines which users can traverse directory trees even though the user may not have permissions on the traversed directory. This privilege does not allow the user to list the contents of a directory, only to traverse directories."

Also:

"In some situations, it may be difficult to determine which resources must grant anonymous access, or to modify the permissions on all the necessary resources. If so, you can configure Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 to permit anonymous access by the Everyone group"

From another site:

"Put succinctly, bypass traverse checking gives a process the ability to skip security checks on intermediate directories or Registry keys when it opens a file, directory or Registry key"

I tried resetting to Not Configured and it still didn't work, so added in Authenticated Users.

Looks OK at the moment, the applications actually launch! Will find out if there are any further issues when everybody starts using it. Read on a couple of forums that some installations mysteriously stopped working and displayed the the licensing error message many months after the initial install so I'm not going to hold my breath, it could be fatal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12