+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, 2simple full collection in Technical; Anyone installed this? Decided not to deploy via gpo as it took 15 mins to install on my own computer, ...
    Thank Post

2simple full collection

Anyone installed this? Decided not to deploy via gpo as it took 15 mins to install on my own computer, so used a msi script and installed on 10 computers at a time. Only got 10 done - all took an hour each to install the full collection plus videos

The support page states that it may take 30 mins to install using gpo, can't imagine the state the network would be in if a whole school of computers and laptops installed at the same time! Or have I done it wrong?

Thank Post
    Going to try and do a 20pc suite tomorrow, Core 2 duo with 2 gig ram each, will let you know how long they take - not looking forward to it

Thank Post
    Actually did this today, wasn't really that bad. Installed disc 1 complete collection (1gb msi file), but took about 30mins to install. Will depend on the speed of network and PCs.

However, I did have a problem with disc 2, the 1gb msi file wouldn't be accepted in the gpo software deployment section- said it wasn't a proper msi, or corrupt or something. If you manage to do it, I'd appreciate knowing as it looks like I'll have to do each programme via msi, as opposed to the whole collection (disc 2, anyway).

Obviously not 2 simple...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When we get big installs like this we set them up just before we go home. In the middle of the night all computer reboot so when we come back in the morning all the computers are ready to go

Thank Post
    I didn't go with the big MSI... instead opted for the individual packages as that allows me to do upgrades and things through GPO... and because it's smaller files that can survive packet loss without having to start over a few billion times.

Net result was that it all installed in about 45 minutes including a stack of Pelican soft, Office 2k7, and various other stuff..

Thank Post
    I've installed on the staff laptops that they take home with them, so an overnight option is not feasible. I didn't use gpo I put collection full, collection 2 and alphabet soup on one msi script so it all ran together. 30 pcs in suite took 45 mins each, 3 laptops took an hour. Had to wait til school ended so short on time anyway.

I sometimes use purgos to install msi's it didn't like these msi's at all, hence the script.

Thank Post
    Installed it thoughout the school and the time it takes seems very random. One PC will take 20 to 30mins then the next PC over 60mins. Didnít use MSIís as I needed to uninstall old versions of the software first.

Thank Post
    Between 20-60 mins depending on the machine specs using gpo

Thank Post
    Whilst it's an easy software to install, it's difficult to schdeule installing, the staff laptops are in use all of the school day, and then the staff don't want to hang round at the end of school for software to install.

I'm now thinking of a 'runas' script so it will install as they use their laptops for ppa, or so I can zip in and install it during a pe lesson whilst they are still logged on with the work ready on the screen for the next lesson.

Thank Post
    RE my earlier post. I had to install the missing applications individually (msi via gpo). All worked fine. Wondering if there is a size limit on 1 GPO? It would have been over 2gb for the full 2simple collections.

11. Thanks to rocknrollstar from:

Roopert (23rd October 2008)

Thank Post

2Simple Collection

rocknrollstar : If you're using 2003 server, the following hotfix may resolve the problem support.microsoft.com/kb/925336 (or you can install the MSIs individually, as you did)

chrbb : The entire collection is about 3GB in size and includes all 28 of the 2Simple programs, so its quite a hefty package - apologies if its taken up so much of your time. I think contink has a point, and I will recommend the help notes are updated so that we suggest using the individual MSIs via GPO as an alternative.

One other installation option you might want to consider is to install "Collection 1 Lite" instead of "Collection 1 Full" on each machine (ie excluding videos) and instead make the videos available on a single shared network drive. Most of the videos are also available online at www.2simple.com/videos. This saves about 850MB. Additionally, some of the more bulky installs in "Collection 2" which are flash-based could be installed centrally (such as Stories 2 Tell, Talking Stories, 2Simulate, Simple City, Maths City) - and the remaining ones could be allocated individually via GPO.

Incidentally, did Purgos give a specific error message when you tried to use the MSIs with it ?

13. Thanks to DanielZ from:

Roopert (23rd October 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I decided to install the whole lot including videos as the teacher's take their laptops home and don't have access to a shared area at home, if the videos aren't readily accessible they probably wouldn't bother looking for them on the internet, we also have some rooms that use only wireless so once again I thought that locally installed videos would be better.

I didn't use gpo as I had visions of the whole suite coming to a standstill whilst a class were waiting to logon! As a part-timer in a couple of schools I try to finalise installations etc before I leave because it could be several days before I return to that school.

purgos gave a 'couldn't find folder' error, it's my main method of installing msi so was quite surprised. I'm there again tomorrow to finish installing so will post the exact error message.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    The support page states that it may take 30 mins to install using gpo, can't imagine the state the network would be in if a whole school of computers and laptops installed at the same time! Or have I done it wrong?
    The way I've dealt with this kind of thing before is to create the GPO to do the installing but change it so that it's not allocated to "authenticated users" but to a specific group. Add (say) 5 computers to this group, let it install. Once those are done add another batch of PCs and so on until all done - like this, you don't stress out the network too much but it does mean it can take a few days to get everything done.

16. Thanks to srochford from:

chrbb (29th September 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Deploying applications over wireless is just a joke to be honest, and I agree, each machine having a local copy of applications like 2Simple will work much better.

I was in a similar situation months ago - about 80% of the network was wireless and they wanted something like 20 - 30 different applications installing. Some had MSIs and some didn't. In the end I decided to create new images and base them around XP SP3. It worked out much, much better time wise and caused minimal disruption too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread