+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, configure flash mms.cfg in Technical; Hi We have just upgraded to flash 9 and some of the packages that run off the server like GCSE ...
    Thank Post

configure flash mms.cfg

Hi

We have just upgraded to flash 9 and some of the packages that run off the server like GCSE French E Grammer will no longer should the flash content.

I have read that you can copy a mms.cfg file to the %WINDIR%\System32\Macromed\Flash directory and you can set the global security settings so that flash will trust the servers on the network.

Please could someone help me with an example of what they put in a mms.cfg file for server1, server2

Also how do other people deploy this file through group policy.

I know how to set these setting manually on each machine by going to

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Security Settings panel and adding the servers but there has to be a better way.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Thank Post
    I'd like to find out as well, we have problems with some geography software that's powered by Flash (seriously, why would you build testing software on top of Flash?)

Thank Post
    I agree

Has anyone any ideas how to do this.

Richard

Thank Post
    In the same boat here.

Vocational dept just bought a lovely cdrom that uses Flash solely and they want it on every damn machine in the school!! It works fine if you go into that Flash security control panel on the Adobe site but would like to know how I make a mapped drive marked as "safe" so I can deploy that setting to the 700 other odd machines.

Thank Post
    I solved this, although in a cowboy style way last month

1. log onto a desktop pc, configure your flash settings as via their global security settings page.

2. go to document and settings and find your profile,
    Inside here there is a folder called application data, inside here is a folder called macromedia.
    Buried within this folder and sub folders is a file called settings.sol
    this is the file that needs to be in everyones profile.

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\sett ings.sol

3. copy the macromedia folder from inside the application data folder to a network area. ie netlogon.

4. have a script that copies the macromedia folder into the default user profile and all users profile on each pc, use a gpo that runs at startup.

heres the script that I use but you will need to edit it to suit you. it does the job but its basic..

cd..
    cd..
    cd..
    md "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\macromedia"
    md "c:\documents and settings\default user\application data\macromedia"
    md "c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\macromedia"
    md "d:\documents and settings\all users\application data\macromedia"
    md "d:\documents and settings\default user\application data\macromedia"
    md "d:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\macromedia"

del "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\macromedia\*.*" /s /q
    del "c:\documents and settings\default user\\application data\macromedia\*.*" /s /q

xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\macromedia" /e /y
    xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "c:\documents and settings\default user\application data\macromedia" /e /y
    xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "c:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\macromedia" /e /y
    xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "d:\documents and settings\all users\application data\macromedia" /e /y
    xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "d:\documents and settings\default user\application data\macromedia" /e /y
    xcopy "\\whsg-dc1\rmpublic\vanilla scripts\macromedia" "d:\documents and settings\%username%\application data\macromedia" /e /y

cls

6. 4 Thanks to Jose:

akidosaint (27th March 2009), BatchFile (28th October 2009), Oops_my_bad (4th February 2009), ricki (3rd October 2008)

Thank Post
    HI

I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi

I have done this on a windows 2003 domain with windows xp clients and it appears to work ok. Please could someone check that it works on another network it appears to work here.

On a newly created windows xp machine. Log on and copy the default user in
    c:\Documents and Settings and put it somewhere safe.

Log onto the desktop pc, configure your flash settings as via their global security settings page. Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Security Settings panel ie put in all the places that its ok for flash to run from c:\ d:\ \\server and http:\\server you get the idea

Go to c:\document and settings and find your profile,
    The settings are stored in this file.

C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\sett ings.sol

Now copy the macromedia folder and paste it into the default user folder in \default user\Application Data\.

Now copy the default user folder to your netlogon folder.

When a new user logs on the network. They pull a copy of the default profile from the netlogon folder and then the gpos are configured.

Please note that you will increase the bandwidth used at logon and may increase logon times by a few seconds but it does appear to work.

Also if someone has already got a profile it will not fix the problem and you might have to delete the profile so when they log on next time they pull a new profile.

Please be careful deleting profiles as staff can loose documents and favourites and be extra specially careful with laptops as lots of staff dont back them up.

Richard

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    I solved this, although in a cowboy style way last month

1. log onto a desktop pc, configure your flash settings as via their global security settings page.

2. go to document and settings and find your profile,
    Inside here there is a folder called application data, inside here is a folder called macromedia.
    Buried within this folder and sub folders is a file called settings.sol
    this is the file that needs to be in everyones profile.

Thanks for the help - this solved our problem with our geography software (Horizons 1,2, and 3) after we had problems after moving the software to a different server and upgrading to IE 8 over Easter (still not 100% sure which change caused the problem!).

Did have an additional problem when configuring the flash settings - for some reason the software still didn't work after putting 'P:\' and '\\servername\apps' in the allowed list, but then we found putting just '\apps' in the list instead worked for some reason, not sure why, but happy now it's working again.

Thanks, Harlquinth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread