+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Transition from Office 2003 to 2007 in Technical; OK, from September we will be using Office 2007 exclusively on site (previously Office 2003). All the staff have been ...

Thank Post

Transition from Office 2003 to 2007

OK, from September we will be using Office 2007 exclusively on site (previously Office 2003). All the staff have been warned of this but, inevitably, they won't be able to do a lot of basic things because of the ribbon.

So I'm probably going to produce a set of quick how-to sheets with common tasks, like inserting a wordart (), setting text colour, etc. I might even be nice and turn them into Wink files.

1. Has anyone already produced anything like this that I could use as a basis?
    2. Failing that, I'd be glad of suggestions for things to include (except the blatantly obvious, like making text bold), and I can check them off against my own list to make sure I've got most tasks.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I made a basic one, opening/saving documents and printing is all it covers really

If thats any good I can send u that (will need to be tuesday coz its a bank holiday here tomrorow)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This sort of thing would be handy for the wiki if you wouldn’t mind sending the finished product.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2nd that.. this would be great for the wiki.. finished project to myself or Zak would be great and can get it on the wiki for you.

James.

Thank Post
    MS made some good command reference guides - interactive flash guide that maps the various commands

Heavy on the Technical : Some Useful Office 2007 Training Links
    Last edited by somabc; 3rd August 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Thank Post
    How about how to save docs in a format that can be read by older versions of Office? For when they want to send something to other schools, etc.

Thank Post
    i'd be interested to see how you have rolled it out.

could you let me know how you deployed / deploying office 2007 while over writing office 2003

ta

Dan

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    How about how to save docs in a format that can be read by older versions of Office? For when they want to send something to other schools, etc.
    You can also use GP to specify the default save format as the old format, or install the compatibility pack on your computers without office 2007.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

You can get the classic menu back in Office 2007 if you are willing to spend some money, although I'm not sure how useful this as your users will surely be confused when they go elsewhere and find it missing.

High Performance Add-ins and Tools for Microsoft Office 2007

Thank Post
    couple of tips from me when deploying it on your network;

Install the ADM policy files into active directory so you can control the packages. Using the group policy, Set the default save format to the 2003 compatible formats for all programs. Seems a pain really not to take advantage of the new file formats which are much more efficient, but a majority of places schools are likely to send file to probably still use office 2003 and previous, so it saves a LOT of headaches.

Ensure any programs you've got that compile reports into word are compatible with office 2007. I think all the main MIS systems are now, but we had a finance system that needed an upgrade to work properly, and that caught us out!

Disable all add-ons in outlook, they caused a lot of problems for us with outlook running slow. Also disable word as the default e-mail editor, it makes life a lot easier in my experience.

From a staff point of view the tasks that caused us the most problems were clipart, it wouldn't search properly through our proxy, and people locating the file menu!

Mike.

EDIT: @somabc didn't intentionally repeat your information, you posted while I was typing the reply!

Thank Post
    I've found these quite useful, only for myself though I haven't tried them out on staff yet.

Office 2007 Command Reference

Thank Post
    Thanks, that's all helpful, but the deployment is done. It's the user's experience that they're going to struggle with.

@Somabc: I'll take a look tomorrow, looks good but I don't have a windows machine handy tonight.

@Danw: We used a packaging system called Prism, generates a before and after file a bit like an MSI but with less 'install' logic and more 'put this file here'. So we demoed it on a few machines for the last half term alongside 2003, so the staff had a chance to look at it before we deployed properly. I set up advertised links to both suites so that each version of Office had a chance to set itself back up depending on which version the user wanted to launch.

Thank Post
    You can use the free starter edition of Ribbon Customiser to get the Classic UI back

pschmid.net - RibbonCustomizer™ Starter Edition

Thank Post
    The overall aim is to transition staff over as seamlessly as possible, rather than to hack workarounds in place for them, and just as much for the girls who won't necessarily have something like Ribbon Customiser available when they move on.

Saving docs in various formats is a good one, though again by default they will probably be in 2007 formats for the same reasons.

Michaelf's flash guides are the kind of thing, but more task-orientated - this is how you set up a table, this is how you add rows, etc. I may well end up writing some which of course I'll gladly share.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely default to the docx etc format - it makes a huge difference to the size of any file including bitmaps.

It's now nearly 2 years since MS issued the file format converters and I'd like to think that most people will have deployed them by now (although I'm sure many haven't!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast