+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Transition from Office 2003 to 2007 in Technical; Originally Posted by srochford I would definitely default to the docx etc format - it makes a huge difference to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I would definitely default to the docx etc format - it makes a huge difference to the size of any file including bitmaps.

It's now nearly 2 years since MS issued the file format converters and I'd like to think that most people will have deployed them by now (although I'm sure many haven't!)
    It would be a better idea to adopt ODF already. MS will make Office 2007 use this format by the next service pack for MSOffice and it is the standard for almost all other office suites, including openoffice, google, IBM lotus symphony etc. This makes future migrations easier and it makes it easier for students to use their own office suites at home. ODF is also recommended by Becta for use in schools as it is an accepted international standard. There is a plugin Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office available for MSoffice 2003/2007

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post

@Danw: We used a packaging system called Prism, generates a before and after file a bit like an MSI but with less 'install' logic and more 'put this file here'. So we demoed it on a few machines for the last half term alongside 2003, so the staff had a chance to look at it before we deployed properly. I set up advertised links to both suites so that each version of Office had a chance to set itself back up depending on which version the user wanted to launch.
    have you got a link to the website?

Dan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It would be a better idea to adopt ODF already. MS will make Office 2007 use this format by the next service pack for MSOffice and it is the standard for almost all other office suites, including openoffice, google, IBM lotus symphony etc. This makes future migrations easier and it makes it easier for students to use their own office suites at home. ODF is also recommended by Becta for use in schools as it is an accepted international standard. There is a plugin Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office available for MSoffice 2003/2007
    The problem you have with odf just now is teachers will create their letter/document and email it out and unless it is in .doc format there will be confusion at the other end. Like it or not the old office formats are still the de facto standard. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    have you got a link to the website?

Prism Pack -Powerful Software Packaging Made Easy

5. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

DanW (4th August 2008)

Thank Post
    ODF sounds a good idea. Does it only apply to Word though, or the rest of the suite as well?

Edit: I also don't see it in Word Is it an add-in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    ODF sounds a good idea. Does it only apply to Word though, or the rest of the suite as well?

Edit: I also don't see it in Word : Is it an add-in?
    It is currently available as a plugin from SUN for excel,powerpoint,word but apparently will be available in the next service release of MSOffice 2007.
    Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office
    To set ODF as default in word (2003):
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options]

"DefaultFormat"="ODF"
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc
    The problem you have with odf just now is teachers will create their letter/document and email it out and unless it is in .doc format there will be confusion at the other end. Like it or not the old office formats are still the de facto standard. Its a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
    I agree, but .doc is now a legacy format and at some point we will all need to migrate. One of the advantages of migrating to odf is that when confusion arise, you can just say 'install openoffice' rather than explaining that they must upgrade office 97/200/xp to a newer version of MSOffice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12