+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Abacus Evolve Interactive Planner (Ginn/Harcourt Education) in Technical; Originally Posted by chrbb I've found out why my abacus evolve failed on one machine - it has an amd ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I've found out why my abacus evolve failed on one machine - it has an amd triple core phenom cpu which I've now found out is incompatible with msde 2000. I've managed to install sql server express 2005 using a microsoft fix, but it doesn't work on msde 2000. I have a similar problem with ICT alive which uses msde 2000 and according to RM support Ict alive will not work with any other sql edition.
    It all depends on how they have implemented their checks for the database engine, SQL 2003 or 2008 will happliy respond to the same instructions that 2000 used in most instances. It may just be a case of installing SQL express as a default instance (one without a name) so that it looks like a MSDE install. As long as it just checks for localhost database connectivity instead of reg keys then it may just work.

Thank Post
    No I've tried that, installed sql express, then attemped ict alive again no go.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The standard SQL express install adds a named instance, the default is SQLEXPRESS$ and also leaves some of the communication methods like named pipes disabled. In order to make it look like MDSE you would need to do a custom install as the default (no name) instance and enable named pipes. It probably checks some reg keys anyhow that would be specific to MSDE. I do think that it would be doable but it would take a fair bit of effort to track everything down in order to trick it. For the time involved it may not be worth it.

Is your new Phenom running Windows 7, if so XP mode would probably get around the issues by hiding the true hardware setup from the picky old apps.

Thank Post
    It's xp, I've done the change the numproc to 1 in boot ini.
    I've installed ict alive minus the datastore on the computer and am just running the datastore on a different computer - sort of peer to peer, it's a solution of sorts but just a bodge to get old software working. I suppose I could install it on the server (2003) and run it as a client/server but I don't have much faith in the software not to muck up my server and sophos console!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @chrbb - You got it going, thats the main thing

Thank Post
    Lol yes but it's not the point is it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @chrbb - I aim for survival, anything else is a bonus

Thank Post
    depending on machine spec/number of pcs etc id be tempted just to install virtual pc on the pc then and install it on that thats how im running it on vista/7 pcs although aparently (according to someone else at work) if you phone up and say all our servers are2008 they will provide you a new version but again apparently thats utter pap too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    depending on machine spec/number of pcs etc id be tempted just to install virtual pc on the pc then and install it on that thats how im running it on vista/7 pcs although aparently (according to someone else at work) if you phone up and say all our servers are2008 they will provide you a new version but again apparently thats utter pap too
    I'm a bit confused, how would it install on a virtual pc if it doesn't install on the actual pc because of it's cpu? Sorry to sound dumb!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I'm a bit confused, how would it install on a virtual pc if it doesn't install on the actual pc because of it's cpu? Sorry to sound dumb!
    because virtual pc emulates a single core pc

11. Thanks to sted from:

chrbb (23rd April 2010)

Thank Post
    Aaah I am dumb! That's worth looking at because I was going to re-partition the hard drive to accomodate a dual booting xp pro/server 2003 to set up a duplicate server if our one and only dc goes belly up. (very little money to spend and no other spare computers)

So I could actually virtulise xp pro and server 2003 on the one computer couldn't I?
    Also if i'd bought a job lot of these Phenom computers I would still be able to use the software that doesn't work. That's worth knowing as well for the future.

Thank Post
    if youre going to be virtualiving servers virtual pc is only any use for testing not use but if abacus is going on staff laptops or the odd pc just install abacus onto xp as a local install then copy the vhd file to all pcs that need it. it depends if you expect them to make database changes if you do then maybe hyperv a 2003 box an an 08 server and the client on a virtual pc on the workstation

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are virtualising and only have XP then just don't tell MS , you only get virtualisation rights if you are running at least Vista Business (1xVM) 7 Pro (1xVM) or Vista/7 Enterprise (4xVM). With XP it is another license to run a VMed copy of XP.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 24th April 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Sorted! RM support found me an article relating to msde failing to install, bit fiddly but now got ICT alive working will attempt abacus evolve mon using same method.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12