+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Policy Central Professional Entrprise Forensic Software hell in Technical; H as any one else running or installed this PCE We have had it running now for over two weeks ...
    Thank Post

Policy Central Professional Entrprise Forensic Software hell

H as any one else running or installed this PCE We have had it running now for over two weeks and i have had more complaints in these two weeks than the 4 years i have worked here.

First it stops Dreamweaver2004 running, when launched it just shuts down and it also crashes when you design sites. It has caused chaos with Smartboard version 8 and 9 with it no longer recognizing the pens and also not letting us orientate the board. I have had complaints of dial up internet access on staff laptops at hoe now playing up. I have just had a complaint that when a staff laptop is used at home Real player will no longer play radio or video files from the BBC.

IS any one else using this pile of crap. The company have admitted there is a problem with Dreamweaver but nothing else, i have a meeting tomorrow with one of the developers to talk about the problems.

Feedback please please.

Its installed on over 750 clients of which 160 are staff laptops and our phone is red hot all day.

Thank Post
    :S Link2ICT want to come over Next week and install it. Not too sure now from what your saying :S:S

Thank Post
    We had a trial (it was a couple of years ago) and it looked great when demoed but when we rolled it out in a suite we went off the idea, it didn't have a way to roll out the client back then and on top of that there was a few niggles so we didn't bother.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are you with the Warwickshire LEA? We had it installed over a year ago and now we can't live without it. We had a few weeks of teething troubles initially - slowing down the internet/network, not allowing sites to laod, etc - but once those issues were ironed out we've not looked back since.

We use DreamWeaver MX 2004 and have experienced no problems along the lines of those you have.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    :S Link2ICT want to come over Next week and install it. Not too sure now from what your saying :S:S
    I installed it a few weeks ago myself (dont trust link2ICT to touch our servers...

I have 60 toshiba a200 laptops all identical built with the same image. I installed PCE on 30 of them and it stopped the internet working on them. The only way to get it back was to uninstall PCE.

Spoke to link2ICT (urgh) and was told that it was because we were still a full proxy school... When i told them that i have a dozen workstations with PCE installed and no problem they got confused!!!

Thank Post

Problems

I think it is the cause of quite a few stupid things going on here.
    The curriculum server has stopped allowing remote access and occasionally drops connection full stop since it's been in place. Over the last couple of weeks people have intermittently had no desktop loaded despite the restart which used to solve it.. it's all just very weird.

Also think it's interfering with the wireless controller too but unfortunately PCE was installed the same time as Amber came in to sort the school infrastructure project, so the problem is hard to pinpoint precisely.

It's coming off tomorrow to see if the problems are solved, but I'd most definitely look into another monitoring software/hardware solution.
    Last edited by Mr_Andy; 15th July 2008 at 12:16 PM.

Thank Post
    I managed to get it working fine and (touch wood) its been working here ok for the last few weeks. I firstly removed the client from every machine on the network and also destroyed the installation on the server including the SQL database.

I then installed the server software including sql from scratch and initiated a update to which it found and downloaded the newest version from the web.

Then I manually installed it on each client machine and it seems to be going ok..

for now . . ..

Thank Post

IE Issues

Currently experiencing issues with IE crashing (Debug error) but they have been helpful in trying to assist us with our issues. Not experinced the Dreamweaver issue.

It doesn't crash IE all the time and when it is working it is proving very effective in conjuntion with our AUP.

HOWEVER, we have been experiencing various issues since its install (March 2008) and although the comapny works hard to address our issues when raised, I would say it has not yet worked reliably and been stable at this point.

Thank Post
    We had trialed this as well. When Demo'd it was good, but then when we trialled it, it was C**P!! We had another system running alongside, which an ICT Teacher had written to monitor web-usage (which works perfectly).

We had problems installing the client with the provided MSI, (which were eventually resolved, after 3 weeks of trying).

PCE did not write data back to the server properly, but did it in 15 minute sessions (wtf, so if a student uses a computer for less than this time, nothing got recorded).

It also seemed to miss large chunks of data recording for no apparent reason either!

In the end, it just died a death, and we stuck with our own Chasemon system!

Regards
    Mark

Thank Post

Policy Cetntral Installation

To this day we have not had an acceptable MSI install so we are deploying manually (at least that way it installs ok).

Regarding the 15 minutes we discovered this during testing when it appeared not to be capturing anything during a quick 5 minute test. We were advised that it does this to prevent constant network traffic and batches up the captures and then sends them. We were told that there is also a capture threshold (can't remember value) but if this is exceeded it will send more regulalrly. Obviously this leaves a risk of missed captures but is does this to reduce network load.

I am not saying the above is acceptable, merely adding to the info posted above.

We also had issues with Symanted Antivirus 10 (not End Point Protection) where PCE kept triggering the Anti-Tamper protection. We had to turn the AV Anti-tamper protection off to stop this as there is only a global on/off option. Apparantly in End Point protection you can selectively turn Anti-tamper protection off for specific things i.e. Policy Central so it would be less of an issue. Unfortunately, at present due to some legacy classroom management software that is incompatible with End Point protection we cannot make use of this option.

Despite the negative aspects and current limited deployment here (as we are still testing to eradicate the IE debug errors in conjunction with Forensic) we are getting some useful information captured. A number of pupils have been pulled up over AUP violations and word is spreading that pupils are being caught more often and AUP violations is slightly decreased in the areas we are monitoring. It has also captured some chat type information that has been passed to pastoral which we would otherwise not have known about. Due to this we are sticking with it in the hope that the issues will be ironed out.

As such, I am not endorsing the product as present but we will continue to work with Forensic to see if our issues can be resolved. We feel there is some potential in the product and due to this we are, at the moment, willing to spend more time working with Forensic to get our issues resolved. Time will tell!
    Last edited by BrotherSidious; 1st October 2008 at 08:31 AM.

Thank Post
    We have it installed but it's not in full use yet. It seems to be working on all the PCs OK - we do have the IE Explorer crash but that was happening on PCs that didn't have PCE installed yet so I can't blame that.

I now have it rolled out to all curriculum machines and in active mode for years 12 and 13. The rest of the school it is still running in stealth mode.

Sorting out the false positives is time consuming at the moment as everything is reported to me. It's not perfect yet but so far it does what it's supposed to do.

Forgot to add - we use the MSI provided which seems to be working fine. Deployed via GPO, not the PCE deployment tool.

Thank Post

IE Debug

We are currenlty attirbuting debug errors to Policy Central as we can reproduce the debug errors quite regulalry (browsing the HBOS website). However, if we kill the PCE process it stops debugging. The same is true of slow page loading, as soon as we kill the PCE process page loading speeds up (checked by visiting the same pages with it on and off).

I'm not saying PCE is the definite cause of the issue but it is interacting with something such that when PCEis installed and running the debug errors manifest themselves.

Thank Post
    Hi

Would anyone recommend getting the Policy Central Enterprise installed on the network?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Well it works and it does what it says.
    I havnt had any issues with it over the past few months so I suspect that they have now fixed any bugs that were there.

Sorting out the false positives is a pain though

15. Thanks to jamin100 from:

stevenlong1985 (13th January 2009)

Thank Post
    I would.

I mean sure it takes nearly 2000 screenshots a day, but some are really useful for capturing the little people and having some great evidence they can't deny.

Great for finding proxy sites too if you set it to get the correct words.

It rolls out easily to every computer you want it to, never had any performance issues. You can even assign groups (such as Year 7) to be monitored by a certain staff member (Head of Year) if you don't want to go through it all yourself.

17. Thanks to mrforgetful from:

stevenlong1985 (13th January 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast