+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, ClickView in Technical; A new aspect of clickview is a web based exchange. Last time I looked it had 1,481 educational-type TV shows ...
    Thank Post

clickview exchange

A new aspect of clickview is a web based exchange. Last time I looked it had 1,481 educational-type TV shows available for free download.

Thank Post
    We've just installed this and the response from staff is great. Quite a bit of the free content that comes with it is australian, but it's pretty good quality and the staff here are making use of it, while we work out who to give the job of digitising our tape and DVD resources.

Thank Post
    We bought a ClickView 24-7 box for about £3,000, has 6 1TB drives and 6 TV cards so we can record 6 different channels non stop. Some of our video's have been watched over 10,000 times and about one in 5 classes include a video from clickview.

Thank Post
    Clickview Exchange is pretty neat aswell, if theres a Show you missed you can do a search and see if any other Schools recorded it and added it to the CLickView Library then you can import it. We import alot of stuff from other schools all over the country

Thank Post
    How does ClickView work in terms of computers that are not connected to the domain?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    How does ClickView work in terms of computers that are not connected to the domain?
    Im not sure, I will check tommorow. We have a clickview server as a standalone box so the box would at least have to authenticate with the server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    Im not sure, I will check tommorow. We have a clickview server as a standalone box so the box would at least have to authenticate with the server.
    I don't think it matters. You just need to enter the IP address of the CV server it seems. Unless I've missed something? Not sure what you mean by the authentication.

Thank Post
    I don't think it matters. You just need to enter the IP address of the CV server it seems. Unless I've missed something? Not sure what you mean by the authentication.

Perhaps authentication is the wrong word but yes clients just need to be able to talk to the clickview server by whatever means.

Also as another plus point of Clickview Exchange is that there seems to be about a dozen people who are able to spend alot of time with their libraries. Staff often email in the morning saying they saw a programme last night they want to show kids. And rather than going through the last 17 hours of recordings and doing it manually there seems to be someone who has already done it, and I just click Import from whatever school tkaes my fancy on that particular day. Oh and then take all the credit.

Cheers if you are one of those Schools!
    Last edited by HMCTech; 2nd December 2008 at 09:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Does this software really tax the network or is it quite efficient?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnny42 View Post
    The software takes the 5 min chunks of video and transfers that just ahead of when needed. This way there are short bursts of activity rather than a continual overhead. We don't seem to suffer any problems with this side of things.

Thank Post
    You can password protect individual recordings, or you can export (via the player) to your 'school bag' and watch on any PC that has the player software (freely available on the clickview downloads site).
    We're (going to be) using the school bag option for remote sites that we dont want to flood the connection to.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnny42 View Post
    As above, its done in short bursts (pre-loads the next chapter).
    Also for a classroom scenario - you can setup a PC as the 'lesson' server. PCs in the same suite then connect to the lesson server rather than the main server to get the video etc

12. Thanks to jc1875 from:

australiana (15th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Hello, I've just signed up specifically to post in this thread.

I'm an AV technican at a school in Sydney, we've been using Clickview for years, and I'd love to start a dialogue with other users.

There was an upgrade recently that appears to have introduced subject tagging, and exporting user statistics to excel, however I can't actually make this work in practice.

Thank Post
    Clickview is basically a shared folder - accessed by different schools.
    Try
    MythTV, Open Source DVR
    streaming.co.uk
    planetestream.co.uk
    or even bobinternational.net

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stzky View Post
    Clickview is basically a shared folder - accessed by different schools.
    Try
    MythTV, Open Source DVR
    streaming.co.uk
    planetestream.co.uk
    or even bobinternational.net
    Rubbish, clickview is a streaming video server based on the WMV streaming system. It holds the video data in specially encoded files that are indexed by a database that allows tagging, note taking and attaching of file based resources like word or PDF documents.

It also has a remote client that organises all of this into an easy searchable interface that handles the reviving and playback of the files and syncing videos remotely so that users don't need to be on the network to watch them.

We use it at one school and while expencive comes with a lot of resources, support and easy interfaces to allow teachers to actually work the thing. It can also integrate into our library system so that video resources are also indexed there and searchable through the same interface and so easy to find.

Thank Post
    Clickview is a great teaching tool, not only can it serve video files, in a network friendly way, it can give access to resources specific to certain videos, create lesson plans involving videos, audio, images and documents.
    There are a vast array of videos available through the exchange, and media store. It might not be the best fit for all schools but if you have a large collection of video resources its definitely worth at least a look.
    The hardware can be a bit pricey for what it does, the 24/7 and live boxes are very useful but not worth the cash in my opinion.
    The whole thing is designed for schools, so from a teacher POV its great, easy to use, search and can even edit and export videos for use on VLE's and powerpoint presentations. Also finally, the support i've had from ClickView has been beyond brilliant.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information