+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Share Presentations to class in Technical; I have been asked to look into software to go on teachers laptops that will enable them to send their ...
    Thank Post

Share Presentations to class

I have been asked to look into software to go on teachers laptops that will enable them to send their presentation to all the computers in the class, they can then be drawn on by pupils who can then send them back.
    The staff also want a way of seeing all of the classrooms PCs as thumbnails and being able to lock desktops or turn off internet just temporarily for that class.

I have heard talk of Conference XP (http://www.conferencexp.com/community/default.aspx) which is a free programme from Microsoft Research and that looks like it might do the first part of the problem but i haven't looked to deeply into it yet.

However, is there a total solution? I have heard people talk about NetOp School, SynchronEyes and Vision 6. Are these the answers? Who is using them and how expensive are they?

Thank Post

Re: Share Presentations to class

We use NetOp School here. Version 3 though and we have various little niggles with it. It would do everything you want it too though...

I think it would help if the staff were properly trained to use it ...

I've heard a lot of things about Lan School i think it's called, which is supposed to be very good.

Get some trials of the various applications available and see which one you like best. You might want to get a specific department to test it for a couple of weeks see which is more stable and easy for them to use, it is for them after all.

Net op school cost us around £7000, for 300 clients and 12 teacher license's.

It's quite expensive, but if you have the money applications like this are very useful to staff. Can even lower our own work load a little too ...

Thank Post

we use netsupport here, it's pretty good and seems to push all the buttons you want. My only gripe is that it doesn't tell you who's actually logged onto a machine.

beeswax

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries

NetSupport School will do it, but buy NetSupport Manager for all of the network management benifits. Net Op seems cheaper, but you have to pay extra for every management instance (per classroom for instance). With NSM you don't.

Thank Post

If you are on CC3 (or maybe even if you're not) you could use RM Tutor 2, there also a new version - RM Tutor 3 on the way soon which is new from the ground up an supposed to be far better than version 2.

Thank Post

I have also used NetSupport Manager in the past - it's the dogs!

It is also worth noting that many companies (e.g. Ranger) license the NetSupport APIs and produce a lesser product IMHO.

Go for Manager and you get the School component which allows you to show to the class, lock machines, enable/disable Internet access, enable/disable applications, view the clients, show a client to the rest of the class and much more. The Manager interface allows you to do WoL, inventories, computer control and more.

If you are rich there is also NetSupport DNA that does even more funky stuff!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

I say NSM as well.....

Thank Post

If you have a large amount of teacher machines and clients and not enough money for the likes of netsupport school and netop then you can't really go wrong with synchroneyes. If I remember right we paid £2000 for a site license in December of last year. Yep thats right as many teachers machines and clients as you like. We have it installed in 5 IT suites, 2 Music suites, 3 Design technology suites and the library. Thats a total of 200 PCs and the teachers love it.
    All Synchroneyes licenses allow you to upgrade to the latest version for free (we have just gone from 5.1 to 6.0)
    Yes, there are one or two bells and whistles on the other programs but If I think that value for money wise you can't do better then synchroneyes.

Thank Post

@dodgydave: £2000 shared amongst 200 clients is £100/client! NSM is £25ish a client (teacher/student PC and including the decent bits for you to use).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

2000/200 !=100

Thank Post

Any one seen the promotion at VeryLabs.com for VeryTeaching

Free licenses for a limited period which I take to mean you can register for free before a certain (though undisclosed) date otherwise it would be no better than a shareware trial.

There has to be a catch.

No phone numbers or snail address either ... hmmmmm /chin stroke

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread