Poll: What Anti-Virus Software do you use

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Anti-V - What do you use in Technical; McAfee, free from LEA. Fine, no problems. RoyG...

Thank Post

Re: Anti-V - What do you use

McAfee, free from LEA. Fine, no problems.

RoyG

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts

Dorset uses Sophos - all staff can use on home computers for free. I don't have any problems with it but then again I have a very simple system - not at all like some of you, I know. I have one network that I have to update manually (NT4 server) and one that is set up to do it automatically. Computers occasionally lose their grip on it but that is more to do with their age and the fact that they are running Windows 98.
    I think the website isn't much good as it is difficult to find details of a virus - that is, what it does - without knowing its name! The support staff are very helpful though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Thanks for all that feedback, please do keep it coming, its interesting to see what a large strangle hold Sophos seems to have, will this be the same in say 5 years time I wonder?

Thank Post

We use McAfee Enterprise 8.0i and it's fantastic
    This is provided by our LEA (who managed to get something right for once!) Have you checked with yours to see if they provide anything as I only discovered it by accident.

As well as VirusScan 8 you get a load of other tools like Alert Manager, ThreatScan, Installation Designer and others.

For central management you can use E-Policy Orchestrator (EPO) or Protection Pilot (PP) (for 500 PCs or less). At first I was using EPO but it was quite hard to set up and the server didn't always update. I then switched to PP thinking it would be inferior but it is fantastic. Much more user friendly but all the power of EPO. I had it setup in about 30 mins and it automitically deployed and upgraded some out date PCs that had been missed for some reason. I did a quick network scan after school to discover about 75% of PCs weren't up-to-date and there were 50 viruses/trojans and 68 pieces of spyware! No wonder my network was a bit of a drag. I would thoroughly reccomend it. We never did scheduled scans or check for updates locally as it took to long but now I can set it up to scan everything overnight with the latest updates!

Thank Post

We are an independant school so no LEA tie, I know the LEA (if we were an LEA school) supply Sophos as I do work for some LEA schools as well, and they are now into the last year I think of the Sophos agreement (somebody who is in NYCC will no doubt confirm that or not). I have written McAfee off after the press the other day about them stuffing up by making it quarenteen or delete Excel and another valid program with some false positives, I know we all make mistakes, but thats quite a critical one for us as Excel is widely used daily, so its quite major.

Thank Post

We use Norton Corporate and it is great. Very low maintenance overhead, which keeps me happy.

Thank Post

Once again, many thanks for all the info you have posted, its been most useful. I have installed Trend Micro on my test server and a few workstations today, it seems nice, but am going to try Symantec corperate as well once my evaluation pack arrives. I can see that I will be making a few temp test servers from those spare workstations I have got lying around at present to test these things out.

Thank Post

We use sophos in our LEA i'm happy with it and find it easy touse with the central management system they use. i've used symantec before but not to the extent of knowing it well seemed really good to use also!

Thank Post

Sophos Enterprise here. A good Console interface - I can recommend it. The only problem I would say is if your server fails, you'll be starting from scratch because twice now the console seems to have lost connection to the domain (the server's connected fine, it's just Sophos goes bonkers!). But when it's working, it works well.

Easy to dish out the updates, and new installations.

Good reporting system too!

Thank Post

We use sophos, only real gripe I have with it is it's such a resource hog. We're talking 32Mb RAM constantly devoted to it.

Thank Post

Scratch my earlier response. Our Sophos Enterprise Console won't find new machines anymore - so now I hate it!

Thank Post

We are another Symantec Corporate school provided by our LEA. It does the job and for Free I cant complain. As part of the licence we are also allowed to provide copies to staff for installation at home.

Thank Post

Has anybody got a contact at Symantec I could give a prod for an evaluation kit? I have e-mailed them and they rang up over 2 months ago when I first started thinking about chaning, promissed me a kit in 48hrs, and still no kit If you have a contact I could prod, please can you let me know, PM is fine.

Thanks

Thank Post

We're currently using McAfee antivirus and it is crap (not using it through choice - it's paid for by LEA).
    We also have McAfee Antivirus Enterprise 8, which we briefly used on our servers - until it completely screwed up.
    We are temporarily using McAfe antivirus on servers until I can persuade the man who signs the cheques to buy the vastly superior Symantec Corporate for the servers.
    Due to the price of Symantec Corp I reckon we'll have to suffer with McAfee on the workstations though

Thank Post

esset's nod32: say goodbye to sophos once and for all...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast