+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Microsmile in Technical; Has anyone any up to date contact details for Microsmile? Or have they gone under!?! I want to see if ...
    Thank Post

Microsmile

Has anyone any up to date contact details for Microsmile? Or have they gone under!?!

I want to see if a 64bit TS compatible version is available but the phone goes dead, e-mails are bounced and the website is not available. It doesn't look good..........

Thank Post
    I'm just wondering the same thing. I assume because no one got back to you that they have gone under...???

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe they went belly up in mid 2007. We have about 30 of their packages here, half of them 16 bit.

Thank Post
    64 bit compatible? You'll be lucky, I'm having a job getting them to run on bog standard 32 bit vanilla XP Pro stations! Yet more 16 bit rehashed PITA educational software.

Thank Post
    I might be opening up a can of worms here, but I wrote most of the later (32bit) MicroSMILE software (Ratio, Probability, Algebra, Enriching Number etc. etc.) and yes MicroSMILE or SMILE MATHEMATICS did go "belly up" leaving us all without jobs.

They were in the final stages of releasing the next package (Discovering Number - a rewrite of older packages). If you would like to see this then please go to:
    Discovering Number
    you can download it. It is fully working.
    Any other problems with the software - I can only speak for the ones that I wrote - I am happy to try and sort out (I do have pride in what I do). As far as I know (I still test them on more recent platforms, Vista etc.) they still all work.
    Thanks Steve

6. 4 Thanks to Steve_Knight:

Andie (15th August 2008), garethedmondson (7th August 2011), mark (14th August 2008), OutToLunch (14th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Knight View Post
    I might be opening up a can of worms here, but I wrote most of the later (32bit) MicroSMILE software (Ratio, Probability, Algebra, Enriching Number etc. etc.) and yes MicroSMILE or SMILE MATHEMATICS did go "belly up" leaving us all without jobs.

They were in the final stages of releasing the next package (Discovering Number - a rewrite of older packages). If you would like to see this then please go to:
    Discovering Number
    you can download it. It is fully working.
    Any other problems with the software - I can only speak for the ones that I wrote - I am happy to try and sort out (I do have pride in what I do). As far as I know (I still test them on more recent platforms, Vista etc.) they still all work.
    Thanks Steve
    Do you have any idea who now owns the copyright and licence-giving rights? We need to extend the number of licences we have.

Thank Post
    As far as I am aware it is The Royal Borough of Kensignton and Chelsea: (Welcome to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea) they owned Smile Mathematics, which MicroSMILE was their software side.
    I'd very interested to know if they are still charging for extra licences and there is nobody who would be any the wiser if you made all your SMILE software site wide - but don't quote me on that one!
    I was in discussion with them a couple of years back on how they were going to support the software on future platforms (Vista etc.) but they ignored my requests and comments.
    Let me know how you get on...
    Steve

Thank Post
    An add-on message to the above...
    If any one would like information regarding the "Windows" MicroSMILE software I am more than happy to respond to emails. I do actually hold ALL of the latest packages that were produced.
    Steve

10. Thanks to Steve_Knight from:

SwedishChef (25th August 2008)

Thank Post

getting it to work again

Hi Steven Knight. I just registered because my colleagues and I are desperate to get microsmile working again. We are connecte to RM community connect three at our school and our smile programs do not work. There is no better software for Maths and it does really annoy me that it can be so easily lost. I am reaaly sorry that you lost your job over this. I bet there is still a big demand for it but most people just give up at the first problem. However, if you know of anyone who knows how to get it working on cc3 or 4 then I would love to know how. Why don't you update the software yourself? I suppose it is a matter of cost. I just think in general that software for schools isn't organised properly.

Thank Post
    Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.
    How old are your MicroSMILE versions - I have re-written quite a few for SMILE and I have started to re-badge some of the packages, although I am not yet sure what to do with them (see above).
    If you email me (send me a private message) I'll let you know which packages have been re-written and re-badged.
    If you can also give me a little bit more detail as to why they are not working, did they before, what is different etc. etc. I'll try and help you.

Thank Post

MicroSMILE

Hi Steve - I hope you don't mind, but I think you may be my only hope to getting ahold of the MicroSMILE games. I have moved jobs, and I am really missing some of the MIcroSMILE games from my old school!!!
    How can I still get ahold of the games please? I could really do with the Ratio, Rhino and Transformations games for my lessons at the beginning of January. I know the kids here would love them! I just need to know how!!!
    Ahhhh - help please! Looking forward to your reply!
    Thanks, Nat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Hi Steve - I hope you don't mind, but I think you may be my only hope to getting ahold of the MicroSMILE games. I have moved jobs, and I am really missing some of the MIcroSMILE games from my old school!!!
    How can I still get ahold of the games please? I could really do with the Ratio, Rhino and Transformations games for my lessons at the beginning of January. I know the kids here would love them! I just need to know how!!!
    Ahhhh - help please! Looking forward to your reply!
    Thanks, Nat.
    Nat
    Thanks for your comments.
    If you let me have your email address or go to: Discovering Number to download Discovering Number (leaving your email address on the request form) I'll see what I can do.
    Steve

Thank Post
    Hi I have just tried to fill that form in as well as i our school also uses this software , however when i submit it is say page ahs been removed.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Knight View Post
    Nat
    Thanks for your comments.
    If you let me have your email address or go to: Discovering Number to download Discovering Number (leaving your email address on the request form) I'll see what I can do.
    Steve

Thank Post
    Bezwick
    Yes, sorry for that - I've just found that out for myself. I've contacted Easynet (my hosting company) and am waiting for a response from them. I'll repost when I know it's back up again.
    Steve

17. Thanks to Steve_Knight from:

Bezwick (11th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    Hi I have just tried to fill that form in as well as i our school also uses this software , however when i submit it is say page ahs been removed.
    Thank you
    Now back up and running...

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information