+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Office 2007 in Technical; Whilst I wouldn't touch Office 2007 with the proverbial, I may have to deploy it. From what I've read, everyone ...
    Thank Post

Office 2007

Whilst I wouldn't touch Office 2007 with the proverbial, I may have to deploy it. From what I've read, everyone seems to cream their jeans mainly over the so-called 'ribbon'. My question, therefore, is if the ribbon is customised by a student user, will those changes still be there if they log on to the same station again, or will it return to default?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    This depends how you've setup roaming profiles. If pupils share a single mandatory profile, settings will be lost and reset to default. If each pupil has their own profile, then changes they make will roam with them wherever they logon.

Thank Post

Thanks...

Thanks for that...it may confirm my worst fears. We don't allow roaming profiles, so it seems as if I'm going to have to change that policy if they want the ribbon to maintain its settings.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    I still find it amazing that some poeple have that opinion of Office 2007, it's been nothing but a benifit to both our pupils and staff since we rolled it out across the college.

We do not allow the settings for the ribbon to be altered not had any complaints off anyone about it either.

Thank Post

Opinions?

We're all entitled to our opinions. I know many people who like it, but just as many who don't. It's not 'amazing' just because it doesn't correspond with your opinion. I could say I'm 'amazed' that anyone would like it, but it's just an opinion.

And whilst your staff might be happy not making use of the ribbon, it's the prime reason for having it to one or two of ours.

Each to their own...I don't like the look or feel, and certainly can't see any real 'benefit'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    We're all entitled to our opinions. I know many people who like it, but just as many who don't. It's not 'amazing' just because it doesn't correspond with your opinion. I could say I'm 'amazed' that anyone would like it, but it's just an opinion.

And whilst your staff might be happy not making use of the ribbon, it's the prime reason for having it to one or two of ours.

Each to their own...I don't like the look or feel, and certainly can't see any real 'benefit'.
    Using a mandatory profile and locking down changes does not prevent the use of the ribbon, it just stops each user under a mandatory profile from customizing it themselves. The main benefit to us is that to our staff and students it is far more intuitive. After the initial fear response when they are actually forced to use it little or no training is required to get them going.

I have had staff come to me and tell me all about the cool 'new' formating and organization features in Office 2007. The biggest hint that the GUI is better is the fact that all of these features that they are talking about have been around since Word 97 they were just buried under several levels of menus.

On the whole I find it much faster for users to pick up and use properly than the older style menu driven choices. Yes if you were highly skilled with the older versions the GUI will slow you down and seem strange initially but once that stage is over it becomes just as easy to use.

My only problems with it are to do with its resource usage and 'deployment/upgrade' methods which I have discussed in another thread on here.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 6th June 2008 at 05:14 AM.

Thank Post
    I thought you couldn't customize the ribbon?

I know you can choose to add icons to the top "quick launch" or show/hide the developer ribbon.. and change the colour scheme.. but other than that theres little you can do to the main ribbon itself

Correct me if I'm wrong though!!

Thank Post
    I still find it amazing that some people have that opinion of Office 2007, it's been nothing but a benefit to both our pupils and staff since we rolled it out across the college.
    I would be amazed to find that the staff agreed with you

Just yesterday, having had Openoffice on all curriculum computers for years, a new ICT Co-ordinator (who teaches Year 2) in one of my schools said they were thinking of buying Office 2003 for all curriculum machines.

When I challenged them on why, it soon became apparent that they didn't like the visual differences between the two suites

Imagine what would happen if I rolled out Office 2007

People. really really don't like change and if you'd been using Office 95/97/XP/2003 for 5 to 15 years and were "upgraded" to 2007 - most wouldn't be happy

The pupils will generally roll with things like kids do but even I think they'd be a bit cheesed off if they were changed over inbetween Years 10 and 11

regards
    Simon
    Has anyone seen my copy of WfWg 3.11 ....

Thank Post
    I have the "all windows DVD" if you want WfW.. Or 2.01 if you're feeling brave.

We'll be deploying O2007 at some point..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Well if all else fails, you can download this free tool which restores the classic menu on Office 2007.

Thank Post
    I guess it does depend on the staff and pupils at your school too. When we first rolled it out across the college we run 2003/2007 side by side but within a view weeks the usage of 2003 had nearly hit none. So we asked all staff and pupils, 90% where happy to only have 2007 installed in future.

Yes some found it a little confusing with the new ribbon style but as SYNACK the GUI is a lot easier to use and find the things you want.

But yes sorry my first post was worded slightly harshly and i do know that teachers are an odd breed of creature and most do not take kindly to change, or work it seems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I guess it does depend on the staff and pupils at your school too. When we first rolled it out across the college we run 2003/2007 side by side but within a view weeks the usage of 2003 had nearly hit none. So we asked all staff and pupils, 90% where happy to only have 2007 installed in future.

Yes some found it a little confusing with the new ribbon style but as SYNACK the GUI is a lot easier to use and find the things you want.

But yes sorry my first post was worded slightly harshly and i do know that teachers are an odd breed of creature and most do not take kindly to change, or work it seems.
    We did the same thing here too - at moment we force them to save as .doc but it will change to .docx in september

Thank Post
    I love Office 2007. It's the ICT teachers (Head of ICT, especially) here that wanted to run a mile when they found it had no menus! "Oh no, we will have to change all our worksheets and schemes of work..." and other useless excuses!

I'm tempted to deploy it over the summer and say it wasn't me, Microsoft forced us to do it because our previous version expired! Soooo gullable!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread