+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Admin rights needed to run 100 Literacy hours CD in Technical; The CD contains an exe which is a shell for a flash program (basically a browser showing a couple of ...

Thank Post

Admin rights needed to run 100 Literacy hours CD

The CD contains an exe which is a shell for a flash program (basically a browser showing a couple of webpages in effect) that simply loads (and displays) swf files from the CD using a simple menuing system. I don't know why admin rights are needed to simply run from the CD - is there a simple solution? A work around, configuration? It amazes me that an edu.book publisher doesn't realise that staff will not have this level of access on a classroom PC.

Is the reg written to? Do temporary files need to be written? What is the cause?

Thank Post
    Poorly coded apps like this are frustratingly common. To figure out what is causing the issue you need to use filemon and regmon to determine if the app is attempting to access files or reg keys it shouldn't.

FileMon for Windows

There's also an option in IE advanced settings to 'allow active content to run from my computer' which may need to be enabled for these sort of apps.

Thank Post
    I've tried sifting through both filemon and regmon but haven't found anything after a quick look and I don't have the time tonight..that's why I was asking here. There are a lot of swf files on the CD and it's only by opening them one at a time that I can find the one that would be opened though the main viewing application. I could embed direct links to the file in a webpage or a word doc perhaps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

copy contents of disc to machine ?

If you copy the whole of the contents of that disc into a folder and create the relevant shortcuts on one machine ( presuming that member of staff has a laptop or a machine they want it putting on )

Then you could just go to the security tab on the folder and add her as a user and give her full rights to that folder and then let her / him log on and try and run it from the local machine instead of from the disc.

Short of that ( if there is a security tab on the optical drive ) see if you can add there domain username to there and give them full rights ?

Just a thought - not sure if it will work.

Thank Post
    I've got these blasted CD's in school and they cause no end of headaches.

Best workaround I've found to date is to copy the contents into a server shared folder and then create a shortcut from the staff desktop(s) to the shell.swf file in the "assets" folder (think that's where it's at).

Then tell the PC to open using IE..

It's only a workaround but interestingly I've only had to do this with one particular set of PC's... Not entirely sure why...

Either way full admin rights aren't actually necessary from my experience.

Thank Post
    There is a microsoft tool called epal.exe which allows you to set an application to run with different user rights, i had to use it when getting the network version of dance ej to run when a student logs on, dont know if it will help in this situation.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    We just copy the contents of the cd into a folder on a shared network drive create the short cut add it to the group and then create a file hash to the executable and a file rule to the dir and this works a treat for us.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread