+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Google SketchUp and Kernel Panics in Technical; Morning all, Lovely weather. We've got a few older RM blue trim boxes here with the AOpen mx46-533v mobo's inside ...

Thank Post

Google SketchUp and Kernel Panics

Morning all,

Lovely weather.

We've got a few older RM blue trim boxes here with the AOpen mx46-533v mobo's inside and 256 RAM. They seems to work fine and dandy until someone runs Sketchup. This causes a serious problem and restarts the machine without warning...Could this be to do with the OpenGl requirement, graphics card or processor panic?

Any ideas. We have some other newer machines which seem fine.

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To kill the machine it is most likely to be triggering something that it not properly implemented in the drivers or the hardware, have you tried updating to the latest driver versions and upgrading the BIOS to the latest version?

Thank Post
    we have those machines. First thing... upgrade the ram if you can. It REALLY speeds them up.

Second, we can run sketchup fine (Although we do update all our drivers every 6 months). So as SYNACK says, it's prob an out of date gfx driver.

If not, check you got DirectX updated etc etc.

Another thing is, it's prob blue screening. Login as an admin and switch off automatic restart on blue screen
    (Start, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Settings (In Startup and Recovery) and untick the Automatically restart)

You should then get a STOP code. Give that to us here and we'll find out whats wrong.

Thank Post
    cheers guys
    only just got round to looking at this again..

Will try this afternoon and report back.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the Automatic restart tip. I've finally managed to recreate the problem (after using teacher accounts, sysadmin account, administrator account..I couldn't get the thing to crash for me!!).

I get the BSOD and the usual text... The stop code is

0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0XBF8010FD, 0XF7997A48, 0X00000000)

Later in the message after the safe mode stuff it says win32k.sys - Address BF8010FD, base at BF800000 DateStamp 41107F7A

Ta

Nick

P.S. Graphics driver is up to date. Tried flashing the bios but the utility says the bios isn't for that motherboard..I definitely definitely downloaded the one for the mx46-533v. Double triple checked...
    Last edited by ndavies; 14th May 2008 at 03:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    From what I've found this could be related to the memory in the machines, have you tried running a full scan on the memory using something like memtest86+ (avalible on the UBCD and the UBCD for windows. This should tell you if the memory is to blame.

Other sites seem to refer to the BIOS again, you could try using a tool like everest to identify the motherboard by its internal hardware id and see it that gives you a different motherboard id.

The other things that have been suggested online are changing out the power supply as heavy load could cause a voltage drop that creates instability.

Have you tried running it in DirectX mode as if it is a problem with your graphics cards implementation of OpenGL this might help.

1. Go to Tools > Options in Google Earth.
    2. In the 3D View tab, you should see the "Graphics Mode" option.
    3. Select DirectX and restart.

Thank Post
    How would I change the open gl setting in sketchup, not google earth? Just running memtest now!

Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, this could be your issue it looks like sketchup only uses OpenGL and that that can cause problems when the cards and drivers do not implement it propperly. Google explains here:
    SketchUp and OpenGL

If the other ideas don't work you may be able to get around it by turning off graphics acceleration in windows, not a perfect solution but other than that it comes down to new graphics cards.

Display Properties > settings > advanced > troubleshoot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread