+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, A.L.A.N. Online Testing in Technical; Apparently the tests can be downloaded and run as standalone tests on a laptop in the candidates home. Has anyone ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

A.L.A.N. Online Testing

Apparently the tests can be downloaded and run as standalone tests on a laptop in the candidates home. Has anyone done this and technically how do you do it?

We've contacted Edexcel/Promissor who mumbled something about getting back to us.

Thank Post
    Obviously the practice tests can be (Edexcel : Services for Centres : Onscreen Testing), but i've not seen the ability to do this with the real ALAN tests. Can't see how this would meet the invigilation criteria of it being a "real" exam.

Rob.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One of our heads saw this:

Edexcel : Services for Centres : Onscreen Testing

"Tests can be uploaded onto laptops and taken to the candidate"

and wants it NOW....!
    Last edited by tech_guy; 8th May 2008 at 09:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    The tests can still be done on paper.

Ben

Thank Post
    I can't even change any options on mine, just updated to the latest ESM and aparently i'm not authorised to edit anything. Can't get through to support at the moment, what a surprise.

Thank Post
    When i was in the unenviable position of running this for a school and wanted support, phoning edexcel was a joke. There are two people at edexcel who know anything about this, one of whom was on holiday at the time.

Good luck! You may get a better response contacting promissor direct.

Rob.

Thank Post
    I have the same problem here. I work part time for a north east based training org and they want to do mobile online testing. The problem is the server has to be on the same machine as the administrator software for it to work offline. This would mean registering a sever for each laptop, which is a bit ridiculous as they want to do 10 tests in one go. And this method doesn't allow for re-sits. The solution I have come up with is via vpn. Basically we take ten laptops to a remote location i.e. a hotel with wireless internet access. Set the path of the administrator to point to the server at the other end of the vpn. This way we get ten students able to do testing online and able to do quick re-sits.

Thank Post
    @DMcCoy

I had that issue when I updated it, there is a problem with the register so technical support took me through the key entries and modify it manually, I cannot remember the key and the values , it is just a case to let Support know your error message .

@Tech_Guy you should have received some documents along with the installations files, in one of them it states clearly what the requierements are,, if they are not meet, and the exams authority finds out, they will ban your school so not allow it to be a test Centre , obviously any exams performed outside the guildelines will be invalidated.

Regards

Thank Post
    Just found out that the bit where you register kids has moved, thanks for telling us Promisser/Edexcel/all you other idiots

Edexcel Online - System Login

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    I have the same problem here. I work part time for a north east based training org and they want to do mobile online testing. The problem is the server has to be on the same machine as the administrator software for it to work offline. This would mean registering a sever for each laptop, which is a bit ridiculous as they want to do 10 tests in one go. And this method doesn't allow for re-sits. The solution I have come up with is via vpn. Basically we take ten laptops to a remote location i.e. a hotel with wireless internet access. Set the path of the administrator to point to the server at the other end of the vpn. This way we get ten students able to do testing online and able to do quick re-sits.
    We just want to use one laptop. Has you got the notes on setting it up please? :-)

Thank Post
    We just want to use one laptop. Has you got the notes on setting it up please?
    There are no notes. This information came from promissor support over the phone.

Basically if you want 1 laptop to use for offline testing you need to set up the server software on it and register it as a new test centre. Set the administrator client up on the same laptop. Run a demo to make sure all is working. Once done register your student for the test and download the registrations and exam. Take machine offline fire up the sever and then the administrator and you are ready for the test. Once test is completed take back to original network and go back online to upload the result
    Last edited by jsnetman; 8th May 2008 at 10:38 AM.

12. Thanks to jsnetman from:

tech_guy (8th May 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread