+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Edexcel Promissor (problem) in Technical; Hi, I'm new to this site so I don't know if this is the right room. The problem that we ...

Thank Post

Edexcel Promissor (problem)

Hi,

I'm new to this site so I don't know if this is the right room.

The problem that we are having with this software is that certain PC's are not showing up the images that go with the questions (which has meant we had to pull out three students from the exam). When i phoned their support line up they said it was flash not installed but this problem was still there after i installed flash (meaning i had to pull another student out).

I am going to phone them again later but i was seeing if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Thank Post
    What's your setup? If your running ESMServer on an XP box, then you're only allowed 10 simultaneous network connections to it. Can be changed with www.LvlLord.de - Tipps, Tricks & Utilities - Tools

Thank Post

Promissor

Have you installed the correct version of Flash, we have version 9.0.115.0 and the tests are running fine here

Thank Post
    I had a problem with the images not being displayed during the practice tests. I was playing around to find the problem points with the software and discovered that if I changed languages during the test (IIRC, from UK English to American English) then it would not display the images. Changing back again cured it.

Obviously this may be completely unrelated to your problem - I just mention it because it rang a bell.

Cheers

Jonathan

kerrymoralee9280
    We found that we had to log the kids on with our 'testteacher' account.

This solved the problems (if you look at the tech info for the software it actually states that users NEED admin rights). Not really a big issue as we hide all the shares etc and they are under constant supervision. Plus, once in the software it doesn't allow you to do anything else until you exit it.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replys.

After phoning them again i found out that i hadn't given the students the correct rights on the promissor folder on those PC's (i had missed them out, which i guess 2 out of 60 isn't to bad).

Thank Post
    Don't actually need full admin rights on the clients. I've installed this software on 5 of our sites now, and all you need to do is set up the server like this (taken from my own instructions tailored for my college):

1. Designate a PC as the SERVER – it’s a good idea to use one which students won’t be using and close (in terms of the network) to the testing machines
    2. Log-on as administrator
    3. Create a folder on the SERVER – “C:\ESM_Test_Centre” and share it – allow everyone access to read and write files.
    3a.Right-click the folder and click on “Sharing & Security”
    3b.On the “Sharing” tab click on “Permissions” and set Everyone to have Full Control
    4. On the “Security” tab, add Everyone as a group, and give it Full Control
    5. Run the ESM installation package you downloaded previously – allow it to install into the default location “C:\Program Files\Promissor” and set the data installation location to “C:\ESM_Test_Centre”. Leave anything else as default.
    6. Make a note of the SERVER’s machine name (helps with installation on client PC’s later)
    7. Remove “ESMServer” shortcut from the Startup folder in the Start Menu (Start->All Programs->Startup)
    8. Run ESMServer and edit the PROXY settings.
    9. Close ESMServer and run “regedit”
    10.Look for “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Promissor” and give users of the machine full control over the registry key

This should let all clients work with users own accounts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    3. Create a folder on the SERVER – “C:\ESM_Test_Centre” and share it – allow everyone access to read and write files.
    3a.Right-click the folder and click on “Sharing & Security”
    3b.On the “Sharing” tab click on “Permissions” and set Everyone to have Full Control
    4. On the “Security” tab, add Everyone as a group, and give it Full Control
    11. Watch with amusement as the students find the share and delete each others exams

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 740 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    11. Watch with amusement as the students find the share and delete each others exams
    LOL I was just thinking that.

Thank Post
    I have to admit we're experiencing very similar problems, which are as of yet unresolved. When we load the tests we don't see graphics/text on a random number of computers - the number of computers and which computers this affects changes each time we run the test.

We've been in touch with Edexcel and the ball has now been put into Pearson Vue and the Developers court to resolve this problem. Just in the throws of packaging up one of the affected computers to send off to them so they can investigate as they are apparently unable to replicate the issue.

I know of one other school which is definitely affected by this problem..... you are not alone!!

Thank Post
    It is definitely permissions on the program folder on the workstations. Use either xcalcs to set read write permissions on the promissor folder or use AD file system.

Thank Post
    Not definitely! Our permissions are set correctly, and have had the settings checked on countless occasions by Edexcel/Pearson Vue, yet we still have the problem!

They seem to be suggesting to us now that it may be due to a software conflict/java script error?

Thank Post
    Ok try logging on as local admin or domain admin and run a demo test, if it works on one of those accounts it is DEFINATLEY permissions.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    e've been in touch with Edexcel and the ball has now been put into Pearson Vue and the Developers court to resolve this problem. Just in the throws of packaging up one of the affected computers to send off to them so they can investigate as they are apparently unable to replicate the issue.
    Lucky you, they just refused point blank to support us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I know! It's not very secure, but it works. So far, the GOLA system has been used for the last few years, and nobody has messed around with the share.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast