+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Problems loading Director 'Apps' in Technical; Don't you just love 'educational software'? Those wonderful applications that some teacher has made using Macromedia/Adobe Director? I have a ...

Thank Post

Problems loading Director 'Apps'

Don't you just love 'educational software'? Those wonderful applications that some teacher has made using Macromedia/Adobe Director?

I have a couple of these and they have stopped working!

You click on the file to launch it... you get a little egg timer... then nothing!

When logging back in, you do get messages that Shockwave died unexpectedly and since Shockwave is the player of choice for Director apps, I suspect that this is where my problem lies. However, I have a fully working version of Shockwave and these things bundle their own Shockwave runtime in the EXE so it ignores my working version!

Ideas?

(Incidentally, the apps are Lonsdale KS3 Revision and Interactive HACCP Trainer)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Could it be the bundled .exe is older than the version you're using? I don't think two different versions of Shockwave can exist on the same machine (as far as I am aware).

Try uninstalling your version and installing the supplied .exe and try again. I would reboot after uninstalling your existing version.

Thank Post
    @Michael: It used to work and AFAIK I am using the same version of Shockwave.

Thank Post
    You couldn't have tightened security betweenit working and not could you? I have a vague memory that I found either director or shockwave attempted to put 2 files into the Windows folder that they couldn't on our system due to security.

Just found the files and they are xobglu16.dll and xobglu32.dll. Could they be being restricted?

Fix I found was to make a package that installed these on every machine anyway and that seemed to satisfy the program.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    You couldn't have tightened security betweenit working and not could you? I have a vague memory that I found either director or shockwave attempted to put 2 files into the Windows folder that they couldn't on our system due to security.

Just found the files and they are xobglu16.dll and xobglu32.dll. Could they be being restricted?

Fix I found was to make a package that installed these on every machine anyway and that seemed to satisfy the program.
    I did the exact same thing, tiny little MSI that solved tonnes of the issues.

Thank Post
    I had something similar, with a program called Multimedia Science School.

I downloaded an update for the exe and placed that in the program location, it worked for me as admin but died on students. I then realised it was because I had downloaded the exe from the web, I had to mark it as safe. It then worked!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread