+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Smart Notebook 10 in Technical; Originally Posted by contink Can anyone provide an update on this... I've just had a "request" dropped on my list ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Can anyone provide an update on this...

I've just had a "request" dropped on my list to get this on the system and whilst I've argued successfully to retain 9.7 I was wondering if the issues had been resolved so I could pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Thanks in advance..

A revised installer for Smart Notebook 10 have not been posted yet.

2. Thanks to TimJing from:

contink (13th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackert View Post
    We are out for summer, the perfect time to push out updates. I went to Smart's website to download the latest version of Notebook, but all I can get is an exe. I need a msi to deploy through my AD. I have read that I can copy it from the CD, but Smart tells me I will be waiting up to 4 weeks for the CD. I tried to unpack the exe, but so far I have had no luck. Smart's install manager also cannot open the exe. So, does anyone know of a faster way for me to get the latest version of Notebook (and drivers) as an MSI or how to convert it?

Thanks!
    After you double click the installer exe, it will extract the files to your %username%\temp. You can then use the MSI to deploy. You might want to read the thread in entirety before deciding to deploy now.

Thank Post

Still looking...

Yea, that typically works and most likely I am just being thick... but I have run the exe on 2 different computers, looked in the temp directory and still haven't found anything that resembles Smart's Notebook software. I see old installs of Flash and Adobe Reader, but no Smart.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    I went to Smart's website to download the latest version of Notebook, but all I can get is an exe. I need a msi to deploy through my AD.
    Which bit of their web site are you checking? Go to the same place as you got the install manager from and download the administrators toolkit, or something like that - it is an MSI.

Thank Post
    We are out for summer, the perfect time to push out updates. I went to Smart's website to download the latest version of Notebook, but all I can get is an exe. I need a msi to deploy through my AD. I have read that I can copy it from the CD, but Smart tells me I will be waiting up to 4 weeks for the CD. I tried to unpack the exe, but so far I have had no luck. Smart's install manager also cannot open the exe. So, does anyone know of a faster way for me to get the latest version of Notebook (and drivers) as an MSI or how to convert it?

Thanks!
    Go to the windows download page on the smart site SMART - SMART Notebook software,Windows operating system - trial version
    Under the administrator toolkit link are links to Individual Download - SMART Notebook software 10 (driver only) & Individual Download - SMART Notebook software 10 (software only). Download both of these along with the administrator toolkit these are the only files the install manager will work with. Install the install manager from the administrator toolkit download and then open the install manager and click specify package to modify and point it to the individual driver download. This will then extract that file and give you the msi for the driver. It will also allow you to customise this msi and saving your modifications produces an xml file which you can open in the install manager and publishing this xml file produces an mst to use with your msi in Active Directory. You do the same with the notebook file you downloaded to create it's msi and mst files. I have only tested it without installing the gallery and disabling the update service and it works fine no problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    Go to the windows download page on the smart site SMART - SMART Notebook software,Windows operating system - trial version
    Under the administrator toolkit link are links to Individual Download - SMART Notebook software 10 (driver only) & Individual Download - SMART Notebook software 10 (software only). Download both of these along with the administrator toolkit these are the only files the install manager will work with. Install the install manager from the administrator toolkit download and then open the install manager and click specify package to modify and point it to the individual driver download. This will then extract that file and give you the msi for the driver. It will also allow you to customise this msi and saving your modifications produces an xml file which you can open in the install manager and publishing this xml file produces an mst to use with your msi in Active Directory. You do the same with the notebook file you downloaded to create it's msi and mst files. I have only tested it without installing the gallery and disabling the update service and it works fine no problems.
    Thanks for that info...

Just to note... the latest version available is 10.0.130.0 (except the driver which is 10.0.124.0).

I'll be giving this a try on a couple of new machines just as a try it and see today but otherwise it's going to be version 9...

Also.. for anyone still wanting to use the latest 9.7 install...
    Follow the link from this post:
    Smartboard Gallery download...?????

... no idea how long that'll remain available for though.
    Last edited by contink; 16th June 2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: additional link

Thank Post
    Just an FYI, the newest version on Smart's site works for installing the Essentials for Educator, but it still leaves out The Lesson Activity Toolkit.

Smart Tech thinks this might be added as a feature for deployment with SP1(End of July).

Thank Post
    Has anyone else noticed the daft location for the tool bar as default!

Thank Post
    The toolbar is my biggest complaint with Ver 10. Currently just being used by head of maths and head of ICT. One uses extended desktop, and toolbar location simply blooming useless. SMART response is "it cannot be put anywhere other than primary monitor". Oh Well.

Thank Post
    I've installed Notebook on our summer image machine and the problem I'm getting is that whenever a new user to that machine tries to access IE, Notebook shoots up some installer runs through for a few seconds and then sticks an icon on the desktop.

The problem with this is that we don't necessarily want all users using it, particularly exam students.

Any ideas how to stop it doing that?

Thank Post

Advice please

I am currently having to re-write my very carefully planned summer work schedule. This is mainly due to "Oh I thought you knew . . ." and "By the way we need for September . . ." type comments from a variety of sources across my school. Joined up thinking by anyone but me not being a strong point at any time of year but especially not now.

The installation engineer has given me a version 10 CD after fitting a new board in one of the classrooms. What's the state of play on this version, please? Is it worth my thinking of deploying it across the school or should I stick to version 9 that already in?

I generally do a full install on any machine that has even a remote chance of being connected to an actual board and Notebook only on other machines.

Many thanks.

13. Thanks to leco from:

mpe (3rd June 2009)

Thank Post

smart notebook 10

i suspect they have employed the same people who changed internet explorer from 6 to 7, as smart notebook now looks unfamiliar to users of version 9.
    it also doesnt work correctly with smart rear projection 2000i smartboards, version 9.1 was the best, just one cd required.

i give smart 3/10 as a company, really really poor could do much better
    but you are talking to ...

15. Thanks to farmerste from:

leco (14th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I've just returned back from the summer off and have learned that there is yet another version revision after .124, time for the nightmare to continue.

On another note, has anyone tried a similar configuration as I?

We hacked the registry to point every computer to a single gallery located on one of our servers, and then the personal gallery's are located in the staff folders for each teacher.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bug, where if a teacher started their gallery in version 9 and then we upgrade them to version 10, it doesn't recognize any of the resources in their folder anymore. The registry changes still function and if they begin adding new content, it puts it in the same place we specified (staff_user/smart_gallery), and if you import gallery content and point it at the folder we have specified, all of their old content magically pops up again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloum View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the daft location for the tool bar as default!
    Ok this is really annoying... smarttech does allow the toolbar to be moved but if you log off and back in, it reverts back to the left. Anyone figured out what to do with this? Is there a reg hack, xml, config file or something that will tell it to stay on the right?

Thank Post
    How about not having it load at all? All our users ever really do with it is click the "open Notebook" button anyway...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast