+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Smart Notebook 10 in Technical; Originally Posted by Flinders Im just making the point that the notebook software is pretty useless without the smart board ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinders View Post
    Im just making the point that the notebook software is pretty useless without the smart board itself, which makes having copy protection on the software a bit short sighted.

It's good for planning lessons. We have alot of teachers that uses it without the Smartboard.

As for the installer, no good news right now even with a beta copy of the SmartNotebook installer. Everything installs fine except the additional Gallery items. Pretty much everytime you specify a network location for the gallery items, you end up with only 206 items total after the install completes.

Looks like a long process to get this fixed.

Thank Post

New version of 10

I just was able to get a new verison from SmartTech to try to see if this fixes the MST issue.

I also got Essential11CD.

Hoping for the best!!

Thank Post

Yippy!!

The new install 10.0.126.0 worked. It takes the Transforms the way intended. I really like the way to add the gallery items too, very nice.

Just so you know the only place .126 shows up in the app is in Product update.

Jason

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinders View Post
    the notebook software is pretty useless without the smart board itself
    That is not true at all. Our teachers frequently prepare resources in the staff room - or on their personal computers - for use in lessons. One teacher here also books the ICT Suite out, the students prepare presentations/activities in Notebook which they then present to the class on the IWB. We even have a few teachers who just have projectors in their rooms, no boards, and they project Notebook and control it with the mouse.

5. Thanks to enjay from:

mpe (3rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oliphanj View Post
    The new install 10.0.126.0 worked.
    I've just tried, and my SMART Product Updater doesn't connect, probably can't get out through our proxy - I'll try downloaing .126 from home tonight and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice, Jason.

Thank Post
    Just so you know the only place .126 shows up in the app is in Product update.
    Could you supply a link please?

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Product Update

Hey Nick,
    I have notified Smart Tech of the Product update proxy bug. What I have found out is that the product update does not pass proxy authentication. We use Websense and ISA and it will not authenticate. It also uses the machine set proxy not the users proxy. This is in the registry and also set by group policy.
    When I set it to our proxy with no authentication and at the machine level it works just fine. No work arounds I have played with everything in the registry for the product update and talked to Smart Tech.

Jason

Thank Post
    Thanks Jason, I'll try downloading it from home tonight. If the updater can't get out our site, though, it makes it disabling it for the users less of an issue - I was trying to avoid them getting "nags" whenever a newer version is released, but if the updater doesn't connect,they won't know about any newer releases.

Are you guys making your licence keys available to staff so they can download the software to their home computers, and if so, how?

Thank Post

home keys

Nick,
    All of our teachers have laptops that we have provided. I will not be providing keys for them to take home but if they figure out how to get the serial number and then register it more power to them. Each key is good for 1000 computers. That is my issue right now. So I am going to deploy it very carefully.

Jason

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oliphanj View Post
    Nick,
    Each key is good for 1000 computers.

Thats not exactly true.

Smart Tech team are still working on the Gallery issues as of today. Also if you extract the MSI and install, you might want to

A: install from a share the users will have rights to.

or
    B: copy the msi files locally so it's available for self healing.

Thank Post

Smartboard 10 on an image

Just found out if you put Smart board 10 on computer image and then deploy that image, Notebook with deactivate. Here is the reactivation string.

Here is the command for manual activation.:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMART Technologies\SMART Product Update\activationwizard.exe --suid clash_notebook --m=6 --pk NB-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX a

Please replace the NB-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx with the volume NB10 Product Key.

Jason

13. 2 Thanks to oliphanj:

Arcath (7th October 2010), wire (15th July 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Okay, so stretching past bashing the registration process, what do people think of the application itself?

I've just been playing with it, and it seems to have some nice additions - most notably tables finally (!), although I don't see how to delete them. You still can't easily draw a perfect circle or square, though (I know about the autoshapes, before anyone says anything, but these are ellipses and rectangles, not circles and squares). The Magic Pen or whatever it is called looks fun, but is limited in what I can do without being attached to a board.

I'll probably put it on my personal laptop and test it on a board, then maybe ask one of the tech-savvy teachers to trial it for me in the classroom.

What do other people think of it?
    If you hold the shift key while dragging the shape out to size it, you will get a perfect square or circle.

15. Thanks to richierich from:

enjay (4th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    If you hold the shift key while dragging the shape out to size it, you will get a perfect square or circle.
    So you do (and about time too!!) - thanks Rich.

Thank Post
    Can anyone provide an update on this...

I've just had a "request" dropped on my list to get this on the system and whilst I've argued successfully to retain 9.7 I was wondering if the issues had been resolved so I could pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Thanks in advance..

Thank Post

Getting the msi

We are out for summer, the perfect time to push out updates. I went to Smart's website to download the latest version of Notebook, but all I can get is an exe. I need a msi to deploy through my AD. I have read that I can copy it from the CD, but Smart tells me I will be waiting up to 4 weeks for the CD. I tried to unpack the exe, but so far I have had no luck. Smart's install manager also cannot open the exe. So, does anyone know of a faster way for me to get the latest version of Notebook (and drivers) as an MSI or how to convert it?

Thanks!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread