+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, help with installing printer in Technical; just replaced our network hp printer with a same but just later model and was hoping to simply add new ...

Thank Post

help with installing printer

just replaced our network hp printer with a same but just later model and was hoping to simply add new driver in the advanced tab as it shows the new model driver there and give the new printer the exact ip and printer share name this did not work not sure if it was me or just cannot do it that way. so now im trying to install the printer from the driver onto our server 2003 and its saying its not compatible even though it says it will work on this platform. ive tried looking for latest hp updates which there arnt any so now im stuck and have quite alot of annoyed people that cannot print now please help???????

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    What model is the printer?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    What model is the printer?
    hp 2605dn replacing the hp 2600n

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    just replaced our network hp printer with a same but just later model and was hoping to simply add new driver in the advanced tab as it shows the new model driver there and give the new printer the exact ip and printer share name
    You don't want to go this route... I made that mistake with a printer that was originally an HPK550 when I swapped it out for a Canon iP4300. Even though the printer was added and removed automatically in almost all the computers around school I completely forgot about Staff laptops which had them added in manually. Net result was someone using their laptop to send a job to the printer with the wrong driver and blam it stalled the entire print queue.

You are much better off, installing the printer under a new IP and share name and then going through and adding it all.. A login script will handle most of what you need to do and then people simply need to logout and log back in again to get it working again.

Thank Post
    Have you tried a Windows 2000 Version driver

I have 2600dn here in the reception area

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah I always install them as a new printer but keep the port. Once the new printer is set up delete the old one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    You don't want to go this route... I made that mistake with a printer that was originally an HPK550 when I swapped it out for a Canon iP4300. Even though the printer was added and removed automatically in almost all the computers around school I completely forgot about Staff laptops which had them added in manually. Net result was someone using their laptop to send a job to the printer with the wrong driver and blam it stalled the entire print queue.

You are much better off, installing the printer under a new IP and share name and then going through and adding it all.. A login script will handle most of what you need to do and then people simply need to logout and log back in again to get it working again.
    tried installing straight onto the server but at a certain point on the cd it says not compatible with 2003 which is a blatant lie

Thank Post
    tried installing straight onto the server but at a certain point on the cd it says not compatible with 2003 which is a blatant lie
    I'd recommend checking the website for the basic driver version as the CD is probably trying to install the full tool set which is completely useless and often incompatible with Server 2003.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend checking the website for the basic driver version as the CD is probably trying to install the full tool set which is completely useless and often incompatible with Server 2003.
    could i simply install to a pc locally and then share it out or is it not worth the hassle??
    also when i try to download drivers it comes up with a load of googlygook ???
    Last edited by mikeymike; 18th March 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Thank Post
    help plz guys this is causing me lots of probs and alot of moaning.

Thank Post
    could i simply install to a pc locally and then share it out or is it not worth the hassle??
    You could but I doubt that would resolve the problem and in the long term you're avoiding the problem instead of solving it which has got to be frustrating.

also when i try to download drivers it comes up with a load of googlygook ???
    Sounds like a cache issue... I'd clean your browser cache or try using a different browser/machine to get everything. If you're still having problems let me know and I'll host it somewhere else... I have a lot of "fun" with north yorks throttling ftp downloads to 500bytes (yes, BYTES!) per second.

Thank Post
    You could but I doubt that would resolve the problem and in the long term you're avoiding the problem instead of solving it which has got to be frustrating.

Sounds like a cache issue... I'd clean your browser cache or try using a different browser/machine to get everything. If you're still having problems let me know and I'll host it somewhere else... I have a lot of "fun" with north yorks throttling ftp downloads to 500bytes (yes, BYTES!) per second.
    ye just deleted cache and still same probs think our filtering service is getting in the way as well somehow. if you could post some kind of link for win2000 or whatever would help would be great thnx

also could it be worth plugging the printer into the server to see if it picks it up and install through updates instead of the cd-rom??
    Last edited by mikeymike; 18th March 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Ok... I've grabbed the:
    - PCL6 driver
    - PCL6 plug and pray driver
    - the universal driver

... and popped them all into a zip for your to download here:
    http://www.continuousink.info/dlds/d...rjet2605dn.zip

NB: that link will be pulled down in 24 hours

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    The HP 2605 is definitely compatible with 2003 Server. All the downloads for it are here (or as posted above).

Personally I would recommend you use a new port. Using the same port initially is asking for trouble. So if you're using 192.168.1.20, use 192.168.1.21 for example.

Thank Post
    Ok... I've grabbed the:
    - PCL6 driver
    - PCL6 plug and pray driver
    - the universal driver

... and popped them all into a zip for your to download here:
    http://www.continuousink.info/dlds/d...rjet2605dn.zip

NB: that link will be pulled down in 24 hours
    ye marvellous that driver done it. it was the full installation driver that is not compatible for 2003. only annoying thing now is have to go through everyones add printer wizard to stick it in their area now. but thnx very much for the link though mate life saver. cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast