+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Touchpads & software for Maths lessons in Technical; Hello, One of the Maths teachers at the school I work at (Matthew Moss High School in Rochdale) has asked ...

Thank Post

Touchpads & software for Maths lessons

Hello,

One of the Maths teachers at the school I work at (Matthew Moss High School in Rochdale) has asked me to research touchpads and relevent software for them (the touchpads let users select an answer relating to a series of multiple choice questions that are displayed on an interactive whiteboard).

Has anyone had any experience using these and if so please could you give me some feedback in regards to reccommendations, anything you would avoid or even weblinks towards suitable products.

Thank you,

Martin

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    What sort of IWB's do you currently have because the manfacturers of them produce their own voting systems.

Otherwise you can get stand alone voting systems that allow answers to be incorporated into powerpoint presentations and other software.

Ben

Thank Post
    Im sure the ones in the Maths department are Smartboards, if not Webster. Im currently looking at Qwizdom which looks impressive, any additional alternative suggestions would be great,

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    It's worth looking at the various systems and the keypad layouts etc... to find ones that suit you well.

For maths ones with numeric on them means that as well as just picking a multiple choice answer they can input a numerical one too.

Ben.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin84 View Post
    One of the Maths teachers at the school I work at (Matthew Moss High School in Rochdale) has asked me to research touchpads and relevent software for them (the touchpads let users select an answer relating to a series of multiple choice questions that are displayed on an interactive whiteboard).
    These contraptions strike me as erring on the technology-for-the-sake-of-it side of things. Not bad as such, it's just there's better things to spend money on first. You have to dish out a device to each pupil in the class, and if you're aiming for (formative) assessment of any kind from the results you get then you'll have to match up the pupils with the devices. With a bit of practice this might be done as a register, it'll just take a few sessions for the teacher and pupils to get used to the process.

There's a number of systems around - most of the interactive whiteboard makers do a version that works with their IWBs. I'd avoid those, just to avoid yet further product lockin, and use something like Qwizdom instead. All these devices really are are remote controls with a bit of software to tie them together, must be some way of hacking a TV remote to do the same job...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Martin84: sure quizdom looks great but you can't network it at the moment due to the fact it needs admin rights on the workstation to run (already had a teacher who bought into this at cost of 3000 and cab only use it on his laptop).
    Have just installed and configured Renaissance learning for our Maths dept and it works a treat with the kids having handheld responder units which in turn connect via the teachers workstation receiver and prints out their next assignment.
    Website interface collects all the kids tests and grades it automatically.

Hope this is of help PM me for more info if needed.

Thank Post
    Thanks bossman, very useful. Can I ask if you purchased Accelerated Maths or Star Maths with it and what handheld devices you got with it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Martin84:
    Accelerated Maths
    Don't have the type of responder unit to hand at the mo but will PM you with details ok

Thank Post
    We have a Quizdom set that has sat in it's bag for at least the last 18 months. It's too much of a hassle to set up. That said, I did a mental maths test with Y7. A lad in the bottom set (need fingers to add 4+4) got a result that put him mid-stream. He was totally focussed on the board and said afterwards that it was just like playing a game on his computer at home.

Thank Post
    While I like the look of the voting systems, I tend to agree with David Hicks that they are technology for the sake of it and that I could do other/better things with the money, especially considering the amount of time they would actually get used for. Not disputing the example which lazerblazer gives us, I can't help but wonder if the same captivation and involvement couldn't have been achieved in a cheaper way.

Thank Post
    I'm sure it can Nick but I think the kids expect to be kept entertained during lessons and don't have the ability to concentrate when the going get tough. I quite often watch a class when they are doing something heavy. The majority have glazed expressions, a small minority are disruptive and some are trying hard to take it in. Funny, the last group tend to be the gifted and able.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I'm sure it can Nick but I think the kids expect to be kept entertained during lessons and don't have the ability to concentrate when the going get tough.
    All true, but I still maintain that the necessary entertainment and engagement could have come at a much cheaper price (heck, even if you bought the kid a DS and Maths Training, as recently discussed on here!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread