+ Post New Thread
Educational Software Thread, Microsoft Photo Story 3 issues in Technical; Hi folks I've installed photo story 3 on my XP clients and it doesn't like non - admin users. When ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Microsoft Photo Story 3 issues

Hi folks

I've installed photo story 3 on my XP clients and it doesn't like non - admin users. When opening a .wp3 file (it's own association) it gives an error box "Access is denied."

Does anyone know how to sort this in a manner that doesn't involve adding kids to local administrators? TIA.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have deployed version 3 to all the computers on the network here and have had no complaints.

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had it installed here ages and never had that Joe

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 721 Posts
    Same here should work fine as a non admin. Maybe something to do with folder / file permissions?

Thank Post
    I don't know if this is related, but I have found an issue with Photo Story not opening files properly if WMV files are not associated with Windows Media Player. One of our teachers installed VLC and let it take over all video file associations and that broke Photo Story until I reset the association.

Thank Post
    Our head of lit. wants Photostory for Y5/6/7. What's it like and does it use shedloads of disk space?

Thank Post
    It's very good. We use it from Year 2-6 here. Doesn't use up much space, although the uncompiled photostory files can get quite large. Once you've saved them as a video file, they are obviously fine.
    It will highlight your slow computers (when I say slow, I mean below 1ghz). It runs fine, but the real-time preview gets slow so the sound becomes out of sync.

Thank Post
    All of our curriculum computers are below 1GHz I've already told our HT that we will need to spend at least 30K on computers next year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    All of our curriculum computers are below 1GHz I've already told our HT that we will need to spend at least 30K on computers next year.
    Not that uncommon. I'm doing some re-jigging at the with the aim of getting rid of all of our >1ghz computers, but I think we'll still have a few. 30k? How many computers have you got!
    TBH, photostory is pretty much the only program where we notice the slower computers. And it doesn't put people off using it, you just need to be aware that the preview won't be quite accurate and it's best to compile it on a faster computer.
    We do video editing on our 600mhz without too much trouble (although they had a memory boost a few years back. We're mainly upgrading because of the puney 7gb hard drives and with wireless network running apps from the server isn't always an option.

Thank Post
    Hi Joe, am having the same issue at one site. Have noticed that if I copy it to the local box (rather than running via a DFS share) it works fine. The users have Traverse folder rights for a couple of folders, then full perms on their home directory- seems to be this that is causing the problem. Any ideas?

Ash

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread