+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Educational Software Thread, Moodle in Technical; Has anyone set up Moodle. The head here wants to use it, but the schools internet provider is nervous! How ...
    Thank Post

Moodle

Has anyone set up Moodle. The head here wants to use it, but the schools internet provider is nervous! How simple is it to get up and running, preferably on a remote web server?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Moodle

Its a shame you are not with LancsNGfL. We offer Moodle as part of our hosting. For free and already set up ready to roll.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    Has anyone set up Moodle. The head here wants to use it, but the schools internet provider is nervous! How simple is it to get up and running, preferably on a remote web server?
    Well, there's copious ammounts of documentation avalible on the moodle site.

http://moodle.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=3856

Dead easy on Linux. A few more hoops to jump through if your using windows. If your using a remote server then the provider will use something like cpanel and phpmyadmin already setup so it should make it even simpler than a local install. Try and use a provider that gives you SSH access though. Try to avoid hosts running apache 1.x and/or php-cgi, they suck.

Here at Carrhill we have it installed locally, we want it visible on the net from here so we can use unified login information from the windows domain. We will be using reverse proxying as soon as CLEO can figure out how to set it up (if they just asked I'd tell them).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I found the windows install a breeze too. There's a dummies install too - if you can find it - that does it all for you.

Dare I ask how you achieve unified login Geoff??

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    Its a shame you are not with LancsNGfL. We offer Moodle as part of our hosting. For free and already set up ready to roll.
    Since when?!! More details please Or even better - where are we on being able to host locally in school?

Cheers,

Andy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Winbindd and pam_winbind.
    See here for an overview and here for installtion info. Beware, your distro might do things slightly differently.

The end result is that Windows AD users and groups appear natively under Linux and can be used by Apache (or any other service).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    Since when?!! More details please Or even better - where are we on being able to host locally in school?

Cheers,

Andy.
    Since about 3 months (?), however we've hit performance issues when using it at Carr Hill. I've not looked recently so I don't know if that got fixed or not.

CLEO are still working out the reverse proxying. I expect it'll be September before they figure it out. They've got basic HTTP reverse proxying working but HTTPS is giving them headaches. As soon as they realise they can't alter the connection and have to pass it through vanilla then it'll work.

Thank Post

We host everything within the school, took a lot of arguing with SEGFL but they gave in finally!! Now we have Moodle as the VLE, website, online library, home access and email.

Just convinced the department to let me upgrade the server as well....its going to be a beast!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Winbindd and pam_winbind.
    See here for an overview and here for installtion info. Beware, your distro might do things slightly differently.

The end result is that Windows AD users and groups appear natively under Linux and can be used by Apache (or any other service).
    Thanks Geoff - that's going to be really useful i'm sure. I have an online booking system [MRBS] that I just can't figure the authentification on too - hopefully I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone [or expect a pm! ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by andy

Cheers,

Andy.
    Since about 3 months (?), however we've hit performance issues when using it at Carr Hill. I've not looked recently so I don't know if that got fixed or not.

CLEO are still working out the reverse proxying. I expect it'll be September before they figure it out. They've got basic HTTP reverse proxying working but HTTPS is giving them headaches. As soon as they realise they can't alter the connection and have to pass it through vanilla then it'll work.
    Our new stonking new storage array and mega-fast servers are due to be installed in the very near future. This will alleviate any slowdowns we have been experiencing lately due to our current web servers only being on 5 year old Sun boxes.

Thank Post

I'm worried that I'm going to have to get my hands dirty with Linux now

I have an old server with redhat on it, but I could never get it to see the windows server, as a server!

I know I'm going to get flogged for this, but I hate linux, and the though of wasting more time getting it to work, isn't appealing!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have an online booking system [MRBS] that I just can't figure the authentification on
    Yes, I have MRBS setup here. I have it so it pops up an authentication window if you want to make a booking. If your just looking, it doesn't bother. I can send you a copy of my config if you like?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have an old server with redhat on it, but I could never get it to see the windows server, as a server!
    Make sure your using Samba 3.x and also have MIT Kerberos and the OpenLDAP libraries installed.

Thank Post

Moodle can be installed with three clicks on a server with fantastico. I have a couple running. If you work in a school and want to try creating a course and see it in action email me and I can send you the url and pass word. You can delete it when you have finished or send me a email and can reinstall voila! in two minutes... I have set this Moodle up so schools can you in and moodle around for free to try stuff out.

ps: I am new here..
    Sandbox Education

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Where ya from - what ya do Sandbox??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast