+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Educational Software Thread, Collins Primary Literacy in Technical; I have nearly fixed this installation and got it installed on the server. Turned out to be nothing more technical ...
    Thank Post

Nearly there but not quite

I have nearly fixed this installation and got it installed on the server. Turned out to be nothing more technical than a rogue mouse click.

I had uninstalled on the server, and installed one year onto an XP machine as standalone. That had a URL reference to localhost:9790, and there was no problem with it running. Began to have a hunch that just possibly the server install hadn't allocated 8080 automatically but that I had been overzealous with the mouse/keyboard and, as it were, clicked Next twice without realising.

So I thought I'd try again, very carefully. Sure enough I get prompted for a port choice this time, and chose a different port to the default one that hadn't worked. It almost works!!

The problem now is that I am getting the CPL first page without the big blue Start button. Instead I am getting a message about the software needing Flash player 8 or above. OK, I thought, I'll update Flash to latest version. Did that, still getting message. Clicked Refresh on IE, and the Flash message is replaced with the big blue Start button. Great, I think. Except that each time I click on the Launch shortcut I get the same Flash message.

OK, I thought, I'll uninstall CPL and reinstall. Maybe the shortcut needs updating now I have updated Flash. So I uninstall, and reinstall, CPL. Same message about Flash.

Must I reboot the server??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Must I reboot the server??
    Apparently not. Finally heard from Collins. The Flash message problem is a known issue and they are working on a solution.

Thank Post
    And I have just tried CPL shortcut in Firefox and it works fine.

Thank Post
    I am attaching the workaround instructions sent from Collins for the issue with the Flash message. I have tried this out on our server install and it seems to work, but I only have one year installed on the server at present. You need to edit the URL of the Launch Collins Primary Literacy shortcut. The instructions include the fix for the same issue in Collins Primary Maths.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    has anyone been able to get this to work on iis?

Thank Post

Follow up, IIS, and other problems.

I made a valiant attempt at integrating this with our Microsoft LMS system. It simply will not work with IIS. Not only does it insist that many of the folders be at the root of the site, and use .htaccess url rewrites, but much of the application is hidden within the flash files themselves so debugging the rewrites, or anything for that matter, is out of the question. So strange to build a system on platform independent php/html/flash only to configure it to require its own proprietary web server configuration. Good luck hosting on linux or mac, and not because of the platform, just because of the QA. Why?

One more warning, if you get a red frown face with the message: "Error Report: [Object] object", that is Collins application developer code for, "yes of course we asked you where you wanted to install this program but we never thought you'd actually change what we dictated."

There are also some calls from the flash files to the Collins website. We call those non-update callbacks and they aren't typically desirable, especially in purchased software.

So buyer beware.
    Last edited by RRRRyan; 10th September 2009 at 12:31 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12